Anniversary, Alumni or Tribute Corps

First, to all responders thus far, thanks for great feedback; mostly confirms what I've been sensing.

To Jeff (Madalumni), I'm not comfortable posting the CAC888 show out of respect to my brothers, staff, and fine-tuning / PR in the works. Not trying to be secretive or melodramatic. But I'll hint I'm certainly incredibly pumped after 25 years to be playing and marching stuff representative of before, during and well after my time strapping up -- and with buddies close as well as in our legend pages right thru recent times. Needless to say, we're abiding by a couple mantra's of some of our leadership -- "just don't suck" (Mike Lorenz), "Don't settle for great, be friggin awesome" (Jeff Fiedler). The only diff is we can legally reduce the swelling in the hands awith them wrapped around cold mugs of beer after rehearsals! And that's the bottom line for doing it. To reconnect and have a blast in this short life.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a fan, watching the 27th performance at Foxboro was absolutely thrilling. I loved every minute of it, and it truly was the highlight of that particular night.

As a Bayonne alum, I couldn't be prouder of the wonderful performances and amazing reception that the renewed Bananas are getting. They rock, and I absolutely love them for it, and am so happy that so many wonderful people are enjoying this experience both as performers and as fans.

As a certified old timer, participating in the Star alumni weekend was wonderful. I loved catching up with old friends and meeting new ones. I loved the fact that my husband and son (only one at that time!) could see me conducting a corps "live". I loved that we adhered to Star's tough standards. BUT, I wish this had all taken place at a venue that could have been shared by more of my drum corps brothers and sisters. The Indy parade was fun, and the performance at Cook Inc was magical...but man, it would have been nice to work harder, and longer, and put something out there for the Real Fans.

Just one old broad's thoughts,

Karen

To answer the original poster in part, yes, I think these groups a very relevant because many fans are craving and missing certain things that they perceive to be missing from current DCI productions.

For example: I was also in attendance in '94 for the 2-7 alumni group. I was still of marching age and knew little of DCI's history, and nothing of 27th Lancers, so I was not in any way what people on here degradingly and dismissively refer to as a "legacy fan". I was a child of DCI as it was at that very moment. But I absolutely loved the 2-7 alumni performance, in part because of one thing in particular that was so different about it--the color guard. When the rifle line put their shoulder blades on the grass and they were all still spinning in unison, I thought, "Now that's bad-###. Why don't we do that anymore?". It showed me that the color guard could be every bit as hard-core and sweet as the rest of a DCI unit. Now I am admittedly a very vocal critic of the modern-dancy color guards of today, but the point is that for me and many others, these groups are keeping something different out there, another side of drum corps that I think many are longing for, and not just "legacy fan old-timers". We want to see people just come out and throw down and dare you to follow what they just did. No frills, no pretense, and for God's sake, no drill for the lead sopranos.

And that's probably why you see this showing up in non-competitive alumni groups. Most would rightly argue that such shows "would not be competitive in today's DCI". Well, great, just don't compete, then. And for those that say it would get old if there was more of it, I strongly, STRONGLY disagree.

My fiance never saw drumcorps until a couple of years ago. I have to drag her out to shows, she really can only barely stand it. Last year at finals, after seeing the Kingsmen reunion corps, her reaction (after catching her breath) was: "why aren't all the corps like that? if they were, I'd want you to bring me to every show!" Draw your own conclusions.

You know, it's kind of bad to admit now, but I was just a 20-year old punk who didn't know anything. 94's 27th Lancers performance was pretty awesome. I've heard the crowd reaction to it since on video and they went absolutely crazy! Especially when the guard did the spin...flat on their backs! How cool is that?

I think the concept they launched with alumni / anniversary / tribute / etc corps is great, whatever form it takes. And I'm glad to see that each has done it with their own distinct flair and style. With such diversity as DC has always had, it would be kind of boring to see these groups do their thing the same each time.

And lastly, ideally, I would love to see the grand result of each of these to be either the re-birth of fallen corps in the junior, or at the very least senior, ranks; or the strengthening of the existing corps (in Madison's case) through increased participation by alum. In this, the Internet era, communications between members of all years and all eras anywhere in the world is completely feasible like never before. And while reliving how great we were when we were 20 is great, even greater would be putting together something that outlives each of us and provides some 20-year old not even born yet the opportunity to experience drum corps in their era...

...whatever form that may be!

I love experiencing the alumni corps. They are a real treat, provided they do not become

expected.

-You get to share the memories of great performances in the past.

-You get to share in the nostalgia of our marching roots and the traditions.

-You get to share in the JOY of those alumni on the field who have missed performing ever since they aged out.

-It is an opportunity to APPRECIATE drum corps in general in that it links people together of all ages from all

walks of life in an activity they love.

What I enjoy most about the past alumni corps and the future Cavies 08 alumni corps, is not about how

"good" they are, its about people who decades later still carry the same creativity, respect, dedication,

passion and work ethic that they learned when they originally marched. So....

Life is too short to spend analyzing things to death, if watching alumni corps is not your thing, go get some popcorn.

Just being brutally honest, as Collin Cowherd might say.

The thought of alumni corps, etc., just doesn't really grab me. I have never been into the alumni or reunion thing. This goes for my high school band, my college days, etc., I just prefer to move forward with my life and archive the memories as just that--memories!

I do think it's nice to see something similar to what we got when 27th Lancers Alumni, Bridgemen, Kingsmen all played for DCI Finals. The Madison Scouts Alumni Corps was also a hoot for finals a few years ago. However, although it's nice to see those corps and to hear that music once in a while, I do not wish to hear it all the time. If an alumni corps showed up at every DCI show, I would likely leave before most of them. Just not interested. What once was...was, but I find more interest in what today brings, and alumni/reunion corps just don't do it for me. If they are so popular and so amazing, why don't they start their own circuit instead of jumping on the back of DCI? Just a question, not a condemnation.

I think my main concern with this stuff, and why it tends to bother me more than thrill me, is that most of these groups just give us music and drill that has already been done. I am the kind of person who prefers for the past to remain in the past. I prefer to fondly remember what that music and that style of drum corps sounded and looked like when I first started attending shows. I have never been in favor of re-living one's past either for the sake of personal enjoyment or some attempt to re-live and perhaps bring back the "good ol' days." I think people become blinded by their memories to some extent, and their ability to focus or grab the present becomes even more difficult. I have plenty of high school friends who can't stand the fact that things changed after high school, and they are my age (42). It's as if they can't move on.

So like I said, when it's just for a once in a blue moon kind of thing, when these groups get together for a very special occasion or anniversary, then I say "cool." Not my cup of tea, but I can see the need for some people. When it's overdone, well, I guess there we differ.

Well, for me it was different. I co-ordinate the Pacific Alliance Drumline in Seattle and we are very good, but I jumped at the chance to perform with the Kingsmen to perform at DCI, which I had never done. I have to say, it was the hardest, but best experience of my drum corps life. The week of DCI was a DCI corps schedule. (I've been told this by DCI alumni.) So while you say that Madison was a "hoot" (which I never saw, but I've heard they were very good), make no mistake, we worked our butts off, and it paid off. In fact, while we had fun, it was mostly very intense. (Practicing for a week from 8:30 am until 10 pm) And the camps were hard as well.

We were totally focused, and speaking for myself, I didn't hear the crowd until I saw the DVD. Were we as clean as we would have been in our youth? No. Were we good enough to be respectable? HELL YES!!

This was proven by the crowd reaction, (which IMO is much, much more important than any score, since most of the audience is alumni, whom I respect), and the comments I received the next day. I went to Finals, wearing my Kingsmen T-shirt, and saw a few old friends. They told me we were great (one was a BD 82 alumni), and even said there were people in the stands CRYING. Others told me the same thing, and I heard a recurring theme "now THAT'S drum corps!".

In my opinon, doing an exhibition like this, is more important than anything I can think of. Because we made people see some hardass drumcorps, which they loved. Also, it was great to see the enthusiasum of the age-outs. Most notably Phantom Regiment. They went ape-crazy!

So for one night, we got the crowd, the age-outs, and most everyone's respect. And for that I am extremely proud. I was happy to be part of history (the first 10 man tenor line for a whole show), and we played "meat and potatoes" drumming.

And at the same time, I met new friends, and became part of a new Drum Corps Family. (BTW, I'm 50, and our average age was 49.)

So for all the above, I will forever be a Kingsmen, and will say with pride that I was part of that great 2007 show!

Jon, all I can say is you never marched drum corps. There are somethings you just "get" if you've been a member. Some things you'll never "get".

Garry in Vegas

I think it would be appropriate to repost this link in response to this thread. There are probably quite a few people who have not watched the "Once more in '94" video. It is the story of the 27th alumni event from the point of view of those who participated in it with a healthy chunk of my own opinion thrown in.

just visit the "drum corps films" page at beanman.net

I was glad I made the time to get involved in that project in 1994 but I know I could not do it in 2008.

Steve (27th Lancers),

W O W I agree, the materials archiving and chronicalling the 2-7 Alumni event is simply incredible; if not required reading for anyone aspiring the drum corps genre'. Particularly important to me is the obvious comradery, work ethic exhibited. We are just getting moving with our 08' efforts but I can relate to many of the things demonstrated in the film. Just WOW. ("feeling" a VERY large snareline and massive contra line behind you certainly is worth the blisters!). Thank you for keeping that material alive.