Sling or Air Flag?

ediejoy

March a hole. Even if you tell the judges, it's still put in their heads and you can't ignore an air-flagger for the entire show.

And even more importantly, it's a distraction for the audience....

At the Austin regional a couple of people ended up without equipment and it was hugely distracting.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have a kid who broke a finger and per doctor's orders, she can't spin for a couple of weeks. Please give me your opinions.

Thanks!

first step:find a different doctor! :thumbdown:

preferably one who will tell her it's only a minor sprain so tape it up take a motrin and get out there and perform! :ph34r:

Edited by dugg

find a different doctor! :thumbdown:

preferably one who will tell her it's only a minor sprain so tape it up take a motrin and get out there and perform! :ph34r:

LOL. AMEN!

I have performed with stitches, cuts, bone chips, headaches, flu, fever, nausia, etc etc etc..

no broken bones though (knock on wood) Many times against dr's orders. Performers now a days just seek out reasons not to perform.

LOL!! My 2nd WGI, I marched with a broken foot, and my dance partner had torn up a knee the week before at gymnastics. We both hobbled to the edge of the floor, put our crutches down, did the show, picked up our crutches and hobbled away. I would have never thought of letting them go on without me!!

Now, that said, this is early in the season........I'd say march a sling if it's not too distracting, or let her march just parts that she's needed to fill the form. We had a kid get bitten by a brown recluse a few years back and had a huge wound on his leg from it. He did two major impact moments that couldn't be changed, and hid behind a prop the rest of the show. I'm with the rest of the group though.........no air-flagging. No one will focus on what you want them to watch, they'll be too busy watching her.

~ginger

How necessary is it for your performer to do her drill? We had a girl who had appendicitis and had surgery last sunday who we needed at the Richmond regional for the way some of the props have to move. We through her in a sling and had her move her prop at the right times and sit the rest of the time. Now granted, she didn't march all her drill because she was still doing pretty bad, but you didn't really notice the hole that much.

So I have a kid who broke a finger and per doctor's orders, she can't spin for a couple of weeks. Don't want to write her out and don't want to march a hole. So....the question is, put her in a sling (to show obvious injury) or let her "air" flag/rifle to keep the body movement similar to everyone else. Please give me your opinions.

Thanks!

A high school guard that I go to watch at practice a lot, has a girl who broke her pinky doing a 7 on rifle. She was their star tosser in sabre and rifle. So what the director did, was change a few minor solos she had, and had her air rifle/sabre everything else. They got moved up a class, so it must begood, right?

In the early 80s, the drum corps were still being judged by the tick system. Every visible equipment error was penalized a tenth of a point. So you would sometimes see a sling on a guard member.

It got pretty ridiculous one year at DCI Midwest in Whitewater. The Troopers came on, and they had four riflers with broken RIGHT arms.

Then the Guardsmen were next. And they had five riflers marching with broken LEFT arms.

March a hole. Even if you tell the judges, it's still put in their heads and you can't ignore an air-flagger for the entire show.

And even more importantly, it's a distraction for the audience....

At the Austin regional a couple of people ended up without equipment and it was hugely distracting.

I'm glad you are not my director...what a terrible and uneducational way to deal with the situation. While I am not in favor of air flag..the performer can at least march the spot and do the dance she is able to do. Leaving a hole also leaves the question of spacing and form issues...which in the end becomes an even bigger issue in many cases.

WOW! I had no idea what a can of worms I would open! :thumbup: I probably should've said that she's a freshman and it's my B group in SRA. The other kiddos need her in her spot to maintain correct forms. She needs to stay in her spot so she won't forget it! Most of my older students would suck it up and perform anyway, but, I'm dealing with a freshman (and her parents! LOL!)

I realized that I cannot put her in a sling because she will not be able to do the dance parts full out with an arm in a sling (she is one of the dancers) When she just stands during the equipment sections (without air flagging) it seems to be much more of a distraction than when she air flags/rifle, b/c at least her movements blend in with the others. We have alot of body under the work.

BTW, I was in the Troopers color guard early 80's...Don't remember more than one person in a sling at one time. But, the threat was always there!!! :ph34r: