Sling or Air Flag?

ediejoy

So I have a kid who broke a finger and per doctor's orders, she can't spin for a couple of weeks. Don't want to write her out and don't want to march a hole. So....the question is, put her in a sling (to show obvious injury) or let her "air" flag/rifle to keep the body movement similar to everyone else. Please give me your opinions.

Thanks!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

air it

let the judges know ahead of the performance

I think you are going to get some conflicting opinions here, but since it is very difficult (and unprofessional) to talk with judges before your performance, I would put the member in a sling. There is no question she is injured, etc. It still allows her to perform and keeps the staging as intended. To me..."air flag" just looks more distracting and a little immature. Also, if one is to "air flag" it could also come across as someone not setting equipment correctly, etc.

To each his own...but best of luck with which ever direction you choose.

A lot of judges will tell you that having a performer who is injured "air flag" the work is distracting. Put the kid in a sling and they will understand that the child is injured but still willing to perform. Have the student do the body work (where applicable) unless it might lead to making the injury worse.

Edited by quegrawks

A lot of judges will tell you that having a performer who is injured "air flag" the work is distracting. Put the kid in a sling and they will understand that the child is injured but still willing to perform. Have the student do the body work (where applicable) unless it might lead to making the injury worse.

oh my tell me you are all joking...there is no question here.

Just march a hole... that would be the least distracting thing. If she marches with a sling and air flags or doesnt airflag. It doesnt matter. that is the most distracting thing you can do. everyone will just watch her march around..

having a kid do that is embarrissing for the student. and very taboo.

dont do it. just march a hole. most of the time people wont even notice theres a hole.

Just march a hole... that would be the least distracting thing. If she marches with a sling and air flags or doesnt airflag. It doesnt matter. that is the most distracting thing you can do. everyone will just watch her march around..

dont do it. just march a hole. most of the time people wont even notice theres a hole.

IMO a hole is worse than all other options. The judges can atleast see forms and flow. Go to the Chief Judge, or the the T&P Judge, may be the same, and have he or she tell the judging panel your situation.

We did just so last weekend and the judges appreciated knowing.

i must add, no air spinning...just march, air spinning is the worst.

Edited by rochguardguy

This early in the season just put her in the sling. At least the forms will be there. I agree with a prior post. most peolple wouldnt even know it.

If you watch the Erte show, there is a girl in that show that pops in and out of the drill in the back just to fill in the forms. She rarely is even spinnning in the show. Most of the time she is just standing in the back right corner. I think she does a flag exchange at one point and then marches off the back 50 and back to her corner. I am sure people still to this day rarely notice her on the video tape unless osmeone points her out. & they won a WGI Gold medal

Even if you let the judges know and she air flags, the people in the audience will just end up watching her and looking for her equipment on the floor the whole show. LOL

IMO a hole is worse than all other options.

I agree with this.

Can't really offer much advice re: whether slinging or airing the individual is better. Someone else mentioned Erte. The performance that stands out in my mind is 1987 Union High School, during WGI scholastic finals. I was there, mesmerized by their performance . . . and totally clueless that at various points in their show, there were guard members without their equipment (not sure why, though it looked like either not enough equipment was laid out or it was laid out in the wrong spot, so somebody wasn't able to pick up her flag change). I never even saw this until I watched the show on videotape and was startled to see the missing equipment. The thing is, the guard members performed so well that it didn't stand out. I think that's key. Sometimes guard members without equipment, but going through the motions, are so unaccustomed to doing that, and become so self-conscious, that they don't perform the movements the same as everyone else; that's why they stand out.

Edited by byline

I agree with this. I can't stand watching people air flag. It's all I can watch and I usually assume they set their equiptment wrong. In that case I was always told to stay down because air flagging looks worse. It just bothers me.

March a hole. Even if you tell the judges, it's still put in their heads and you can't ignore an air-flagger for the entire show.

And even more importantly, it's a distraction for the audience....

At the Austin regional a couple of people ended up without equipment and it was hugely distracting.