Corps of the Decade

"So this is not a DCA-thing, but a World Drum Corps Hall of Fame thing. I did not know that."

I think the better way to say this might be it is not ONLY a DCA thing. I think your first list is correct as the DCA's 'Corps of the Decade' listing (not totally sure if that's an official stat/list, and I'd have to check). Since DCA was organized in 1964 and had its first championship in 1965, it makes sense their list begins with the 60's.

The information Fran provided is the WDCHOF official 'Corps pf the Decades' listings, and reflects the activity prior to either DCA or DCI. Had they chosen to, of course, they could have gone back even further, particularly for senior corps. There was a lot of drum corps activity between the two world wars. The 1940's apparently was some arbitrary starting point. (Perhaps a 'modern era' determination?)

As for this decade, it's too soon to choose, of course. Brigs and Bucs certainly have the edge thus far, but after all, there are still three seasons to go. (Remember, the millennium and decade actually began 1/01/01, not 1/01/00.) As Yogi says, 'It ain't over . . .'

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since DCA was organized in 1964 and had its first championship in 1965, it makes sense their list begins with the 60's.

A case for DCA corps of the 60's could also be made for the Hurcs.

Here's the top three finishers for the DCA Championship in the 60's:

1965 - Reading, Hurcs, Sky

1966 - Sky, Hurcs, Reading

1967 - Hurcs, Hawthorne, Reading

1968 - Reading, Sun, Brigs

1969 - Hurcs, Sky, Yankee Rebels

Reading and the Hurcs each won twice and were in the money four out of five years but, Shelton actually had a 2nd place finish to reading 3rd place in 1966 giving them a slight edge overall.

Andy "My vote goes to the Hurcs" Lisko

I agree, Andy. If I'd had a vote, I'd have favored the Hurcs too, but no one asked! LOL. I really appreciated their 1969 show a lot more after the season. Great music, terrific drumline, as usual. I'd venture a guess that maybe the Bucs were somewhat a sentimental choice as the first DCA champ? Not taking anything away from them, just speculating.

Not to take anything away from the Hurcs, (as you both pointed out, they were right there as well), but I looked at Reading having been in the Top 5 each year and that's what caused me to make them my pick. However, equally impressive is 2 wins and twice in the runner-up spot. That's a tough call for sure.

So when will the west coast get some love? Going from the internet to a finalist corps every year has to be worth something. The Renegades have been very influential and has certainly stirred the DCA pot.

Maybe what you should be asking is who has the most medals. This is just an observation and my opinion only. Trav

Although I live in New Jersey. Here is some food for thought.

New York State seems to have alway's liked Adjectives in their Corps Names.

MIGHTY St. Joe's of Batavia, MAGNIFICENT Yankees of Utica, FABULOUS Crusaders of Rochester, EMPIRE Statesmen of Rochester for example.

BUT in the not to distant future maybe the Mighty Magnificent Fabulous "GOLDEN" Empire Renegades will be like their West Coast Junior Corps in DCI, and Dominate the DCA for a long time. I know. I always look forward to, Seeing, Hearing, and being Impressed with them Evey Year.

So this is not a DCA-thing, but a World Drum Corps Hall of Fame thing. I did not know that. Knowing that now I can certainly understand why Cabs were tops in both the 60s and 70s. If it was strictly DCA, I think Bucs would have taken the 60s. But if just seniors in general, Cabs for sure.

The Bucs would be a strong contender for "best of the 60's" from 1965 through 1969 (the DCA years of that decade), but so would the Hurricanes, since the Hurcs also won two DCA titles during that period.

Heh.... after first posting this, I read the entire thread and realized that Andy and John made basically the same point about the Hurcs.

Never mind.

Move along....nothing to see here...... :tongue:

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

I agree 100% that Brigs were very dominant from the end of the 90s through the early part of the decade. My comment about recent successes giving the Bucs an edge is due to the fact that Brigs won three straight titles to kick off the decade. Bucs won the last three. But, Reading's average placement the 5 remaining years has been slightly better than Brigs. That's all I meant by "slight edge." So far, Reading has been consistently just a little bit better overall.

Here is the Brigs finish from 97 to 2004

1 - 2 - 1-( 1- 1- 1- 2- 2 ) with the quotes showing the 21st century

The information Fran provided is the WDCHOF official 'Corps pf the Decades' listings, and reflects the activity prior to either DCA or DCI. Had they chosen to, of course, they could have gone back even further, particularly for senior corps. There was a lot of drum corps activity between the two world wars. The 1940's apparently was some arbitrary starting point. (Perhaps a 'modern era' determination?)

Guessing 1946 as a starting point since no AL/VFW Conventions during 1942-1945 due to the war.

Checking Rons site for AL "Corps of the 20/30s".

Sr corps:

1920s Boys of '76 (Racine, WI) (3 wins)

Harvey Seeds (Miami) (2 wins in 1920s, 2 wins in 1930s)

1930s Herbert Ackroyd (??? (forget), MA) 3 wins

VFW records kinda suck, so Wayne County Council, MI (1940s) and Royal Oak, MI (1930s) and not sure if this is the same place without post numbers.....

Here is the Brigs finish from 97 to 2004

1 - 2 - 1-( 1- 1- 1- 2- 2 ) with the quotes showing the 21st century

Right. But looking at strictly the 21st century, we see the Brigs have 3 wins, finished second twice, and also taken 4th, 5th and 6th once.

Bucs also have 3 wins in that time; but they took second once, third three times and 5th once. Their average comes to a 2.375 as opposed to the Brigs' 2.75 average. So mathematically, the Bucs have been slightly higher placing in this decade. It's safe to say though, that since the Brigs came back in the early 90s, they've been pretty competitive.

From the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame website..... starting with the 1940's, pre-DCA, and including junior corps of the decades:

1940's

Senior Corps - The Princemen

Malden, MA

Junior Corps - Holy Name Cadets

Garfield, NJ

1950'S

Senior Corps - Reilly Raiders

Philadelphia, PA

Junior Corps - St. Vincent Cadets

Bayonne, NJ

1960's

Senior Corps - Caballeros

Hawthorne, NJ

Junior Corps - Chicago Cavaliers

Chicago, IL

1970'S

Senior Corps - Caballeros

Hawthorne, NJ

Junior Corps - Vanguard

Santa Clara, CA

1980'S

Senior Corps - Sunrisers

Long Island, NY/Edison, NJ

Junior Corps - Blue Devils

Concord, CA

-->>> uhhhh hey Fran????? not fer nuttin'.... there was this junior corps from Garfiled NJ that pulled off the first three-peat in DCI history, and kinda changed things in the early - mid eighties just a weeeeeee bit. ;-)

1990'S

Senior Corps - Empire Statesmen

Rochester, NY

Junior Corps - Cadets of Bergen County

Bergen County, NJ

Fran