Is there still a need for QuarterFinals now?

Anyone think quarter finals with 20 corps is kinda pointless? I mean when you used to have 40+ corps going for 25 spots it made sense. But now you are only cutting out 3 corps. It only adds what? 45 minutes to semis if you put them in.

Do they make enough off tickets at Quarters to make it really profitable? Sincere question since I don't know. Would the saved expenses of cutting to two nights be more profitable?

This is coming from a person who usually only goes to DivII/III Finals(yeah I know name change), Quarters(to see everyone) and then Finals. I never usually go to semis.

I guess if you want to look at the bright side.. it will be easier for Troopers to make Semis since 18 and 19 dropped out. :blink:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair question but no way will DCI give up quarterfinals financially. Maybe move open class into the open slots to round out the day, eliminating an open class day. There are some amazing open class corps out there, and it would be good to see them on Thursday at Lucas Oil!

More time to perform!

True but would you make more money leaving them out on the road one more night is seperate shows if the venues were decent sized?

Might hurt the tourism part of the sell though with one less night of a certain number of rooms being booked etc.

More time to perform!

You need quarter finals so DCI can count the same people 3 times instead of just twice. That way you can keep saying the attendance is going up.

Sorry, I just had a cynical moment. It's passing now, just like the snowplough that just passed my house and dumped a #### load of snow back in my freshly shovelled driveway. It's the snowplough's fault. Don't blame me... :blink:

Edited by kusankusho

Fair question but no way will DCI give up quarterfinals financially. Maybe move open class into the open slots to round out the day, eliminating an open class day. There are some amazing open class corps out there, and it would be good to see them on Thursday at Lucas Oil!

Well and I didn't mean the question to be taken in a bad way. Yeah it makes me sad but..

I know everyone would have a heart attack but if you needed to fill that show out back like it used to be let the top 5-8 corps advance into Quarters? But I guess that might hack off some member corps.

Great question! And I like the idea of moving OC up...in some way. Perhaps OC finalists invited to participate in WC 1/4's?

Anyone know if DCI makes money on the 1/4's broadcast? It has always been superior to ESPN2, IMO, so it needs to be kept. Plus you double the viewership having 20k on-site and 20k remote.

Great question! And I like the idea of moving OC up...in some way. Perhaps OC finalists invited to participate in WC 1/4's?

Yeah but that got stopped for some reason.. someone got beat and got mad? Not sure.

But you could do MUCH worse than including the top few "Open Class" corps into quarters.

BTW I just got used to calling "Class A and A60", "Div II and III" a while back and now they change the #### name to "Open" which used to be "Div I" before they renamed it from "Open" to "Div I", etc, etc, etc, I'll still call em class "A" they can't stop me :blink:

Yeah but that got stopped for some reason.. someone got beat and got mad? Not sure.

But you could do MUCH worse than including the top few "Open Class" corps into quarters.

BTW I just got used to calling "Class A and A60", "Div II and III" a while back and now they change the #### name to "Open" which used to be "Div I" before they renamed it from "Open" to "Div I", etc, etc, etc, I'll still call em class "A" they can't stop me :blink:

I think they kinda stopped it when div II & III corps kept beating division I corps at quarters. In '96 we (Les Étoiles) got 15th in div I and we were a division II corps. I'm sure a lot of people were unhappy with that.

Later,

Mike

So much ego for so many non-profit organizations...hmph.

Yeah, A/A60/D1/2/3--funny memories! I remember World Class used to refer to finalists and Open Class used to refer to all D1's--128-member corps. Oh well. Progress? Right.

I think the point has been made pretty decidedly that the top OC corps are on-par with about any semifinalist. Academy, Spartans, ECJ and all. If some Pioneer's or others get bumped, well, so be it. I think fans would benefit and it would give the entire activity a boost. Well, that may be over the top, but at this point, you've got to take anything you can get in terms of a 'boost.' And if the boost is felt in smaller corps getting bigger, lower corps getting higher and poorly-managed corps getting bumped, then so be that, too. If 8-10 well-run OC corps rank ahead of the lower-ranked WC corps, then oh well if 2-3 are bumped out of semis.

I'd love to see OC's in 1/4's--bring it!