28 years ago today.....

On this date, 28 years ago, the 27th Lancers had the honor of performing at the opening ceremonies for the XIII Winter Olympic Games in Lake Placid, NY. Some of you were not even born !!!

We were still in this "Cold War" mode with the Soviet Union, East Germany, etc. It was surreal to be there, to participate, to be part of a world wide event. To mingle in town among athletes and fans from all over the world, to buy pins and trade them with complete strangers. I still have all of my mementos.

We also performed at the closing ceremonies a few weeks later. There were photos in every magazine (Time, Newsweek, etc) featuring members of the corps in the background of some special event.

The US Hockey team did us one better.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On this date, 28 years ago, the 27th Lancers had the honor of performing at the opening ceremonies for the XIII Winter Olympic Games in Lake Placid, NY. Some of you were not even born !!!

We were still in this "Cold War" mode with the Soviet Union, East Germany, etc. It was surreal to be there, to participate, to be part of a world wide event. To mingle in town among athletes and fans from all over the world, to buy pins and trade them with complete strangers. I still have all of my mementos.

We also performed at the closing ceremonies a few weeks later. There were photos in every magazine (Time, Newsweek, etc) featuring members of the corps in the background of some special event.

I remember it like it was yesterday. When I read this post, the flash backs that came to me, it was awesome to watch 27th on TV at The Winter Olympics. The white winter hats & bright orange ski vests you wore and the flags were superb. Then when we won the Hockey trophy & Jim Craig Americas Goalie going around the rink wraped in the American Flag looking for his Dad was quite emotional.

I went out with George Zingali, Mark Sylvester, Steven Covitz & Deniese Bonfiglio the week after at a local club called The Metro & The stories that I was told were incredable.

To all Lancer Alumni that took part:

Thanks! You guys were just terrific and I also remember those Olympics like they were just yesterday.

Hard to believe that was 28 years ago! :blink:

Sally

OMG my daughter was and infant and now when I think about it, it just does not seem like it was that long ago. I was so excited when 27th came out and played. Thanks for the memories.

Somewhere in the forums is a link to a great interview with Barbara "Bunny" Hopkins on the whole Lake Placid experience. If anyone knows where it is, please insert a link.

Somewhere in the forums is a link to a great interview with Barbara "Bunny" Hopkins on the whole Lake Placid experience. If anyone knows where it is, please insert a link.

James - my memory, like my hair folicles escape me. If it isn't in my vast collection of 2-7 memorbilia, it's likely forgotten, I think.

Do you participate in LP? Since there was no "age limit," I know any alumni could. I opted to stand on the sideline when the corps took the stage. I simply felt I had my time, let those kids have theirs. I think Jimmy Cunniff also stood on the sidelines. Scott Stannard grabbed a snare and played. Many others from 79 also performed.

There is so much to share, some of it not appropriate for publication :laughing:What happens on the bus, stays on the bus.

I got tons of good stories from the Olympics.

First off there's 150 performers. Add staff, admin, volunteers it comes to a good 200 people. Make it 210 for the math. We go up on 3 busses so that's 70 per bus. A little crowded but that's ok cause none of the buses have heat and it's below zero outside. Alright so everyone knows how the Lacers were famous for the fleet of touring coaches we travelled cross country on right?..............

On the way up (maybe a 10 hr ride Boston to L Placid?) one of the buses looses electricity. No Interior lights. No Head lights. No rear lights. No Brake lights ..... nada.

What do we do?????

Put the bus with no lights in between the 2 buses with lights and dead head on in.

I drove up with Jimmy "DeSab" DeSabatino. Great trip, we almost ran out of gas, had to wake some people up in the middle of the night to getgas in the middle of nowhere. I will never forget the bidding war we got into in one of the shops with the shop owner and two members of the Japanese Olympic Ski team who were auctioning off their offical leather ski mittens that were solid white and the back of them had a red circle like the Japanse flag. They were beautiful. I was winning until the owner tried to throw me out and then the entire store which was mobbed told me to stay, that this was America and we started chanting "USA! USA!" I didn't get the gloves, but I got several hats and other things from one of them, a woman who was so very nice.

I got tons of good stories from the Olympics.

I got thrown out of the Drum Corps because Marc Sylvester made me stay in the bar past curfew and drink into the wee hours of the morning...... :tongue::worthy:

That's my story and I'm stickin to it