2008 Classic Countdown

A few observations...

There hasn't been a year that the DCP world hasn't complained about the format. So why should this year be different?

The number of complaints after the ESPN2 show demanding full performances was pretty vicious on DCP. Many argued that show highlights didn't do the recent shows justice - especially those wanting to expose new fans or friends to drum corps. Now there ARE full shows from the last three years (the years ESPN showed highlights) and it's still not good enough? So what makes you happy? Complaining that drum corps is in movie theatres? If you have a better concept, contact your local theatre and get your own countdown going. Good luck with that.

Think about it.

Talk about distancing themselves even more...

:thumbup:

Every year that passes in time, history gets longer. You can't fit in all of drum corps history to satisfy everyone. I think the first three years of including leagcy shows was pretty fair. And they were enjoyable to an extent. Some of the old stuff just doesn't look or sound good on the big screen. To dismiss this as some sort of snub againt legacy fans is ignorant. DCI does a flash back feature every week on legacy corps to help keep their memory alive. Every year, DCI invites an alumni corps to perform at Finals. It's OK to change things up. Who knows...next year's Countdown could be to pick the top 12 of all time and select a champion. You never know.

DCI's "Countdown" for 2010 = One corps from 2009..................$20.00

At least the show from 2009 will be amplified! Oh wait, the movie theaters do that already....

The ability to judge the shows with a downloadable judging sheet is a cool twist this year. So is the "results" show they are doing after the theater show.

And this could be cool....

"Additionally, drum corps enthusiasts will be able to “count down” the days to the start of the 2008 DCI Summer Tour with exclusive preview features from several top DCI World Class units."

Wonder who they will preview? I'd love to get an early look at Phantom.

Nothing against the corps from 2005-06-07, but I'm not sure how "classic" this particular Countdown is, with corps only from the past three seasons.... and with only six performances......

But it still sounds like a good night out, especially with the previews of some of the upcoming shows for 2008.

Anytime I can sit in an air-conditioned theater and eat popcorn while watching drum corps, I'm usually good to go. :thumbup:

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Nothing against the corps from 2005-06-07, but I'm not sure how "classic" this particular Countdown is, with corps only from the past three seasons.... and with only six performances......

But it still sounds like a good night out, especially with the previews of some of the upcoming shows for 2008.

Anytime I can sit in an air-conditioned theater and eat popcorn while watching drum corps, I'm usually good to go. :thumbup:

Fran

According to the DCI site it's not call "Classic" Countdown anymore. Just "The Countdown"

Oh, and by the way, I hate this new format.

Don't be a hater.

Life's too short to hate the fact that drum corps fans can go watch a 2 hour long show of relatively high quality video footage and surround sound audio.

What the world needs now is love, sweet love. It's the only thing that there's just too little of.

No, euponitone, not just for some... but for everyone.

(Hal David is rumored to be my uncle. My dad has always been a little hazy with me about those details.)

blah....I vote for 90 minutes of silence...

Exercise your right as an American!

At least the show from 2009 will be amplified! Oh wait, the movie theaters do that already....

Bwaaaahahaa.

Is there a "knee-slapper" emoticon?

Not sure of my personal order yet, but:

Phantom '06

Cadets '05

Crown '07

Cadets '07

Cavaliers '06

Phantom '05