Can't we all just get along?

Because you fail to.

Or perhaps you failed to communicate clearly. Either way, please explain what all that was about.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the judge is suppose to do more than just have an impression. He suppose to do an analytical comparison, and then an analysis of that comparison. If he follows that process, you get a very objective evaluation of achievement, with far more depth and reasoning than a simple list of mistakes. Good judges also take notes on units, which helps maintain objectivity.

But the mistakes have to form part of this analysis (which you formerly referred to as an impression). How does he at the end of the performance really decide the level of mistakes? Memory and a few notes oh his sheet. That's all. Not very scientific, is it?

No, to the level of achievement he is witnessing throughout the program. The tape dialog reinforces the rating and ranking.

And at the end of the show how well does he remember the mistakes that occured in the opener? How well does he remember what he said into the tape? A tick sheet is an itemized list and goes to the tabulator as such. You can't tell me that's not more accurate.

Joe,

Performance judges do not judge the "concept". They evaluate the performance.

Yes..."what may be errors" is what I wrote because a tick (or group tick) was assessed when a judge decided to assess one. I know we got ticked when I was in Garfield for things written into the show that judges failed to understand and accept. We had to change our show because of that.

How does dragging out the old tick system do one thing to expand the activity? I must be missing something on that one.

Mike, what I mean by expanding the activity is the fact that although there are many, many fans of what DC is today, I believe that there can be even more if some of the previous accountability systems are restored. Again, only as a small percent. I know that there are also many who feel that DC has lost something over the years. I'm just trying to think of ways of discussing how to keep a bit of suspense and unpredictability in the competition. Maybe a 'tic' system isn't ideal. Maybe there is another way to throw in a factor of unpredictability to the outcome of a show. Let's discuss that also. BTW as a member of Jack Taylor's drills, we were always getting hit for bizzare things that judges couldn't understand. I recall one actually said, 'I can't judge that witchcraft crap!' We were playing Berlioz and Ding dong the Witch is Dead! :whip:

Related to what? Impressions?

Not sure what you are asking. A judge makes taped commentary as he/she evaluates the caption. The score is based on the analysis the judge has made during the show, and the tape had better provide support for a particular rank/rating.

Fortunately, better sense prevailed in those days so your question really doesn't apply. The tick sheet wasn't the only sheet. For the last time - I'm not advocating that for a second. I just want a judge to be more accountable for how he arrives at the execution score. A tick sheet does that.

so you admit that the tick system is subject to subjectivity, but that some implicit understanding of "better sense" saves it from doing what its says that it does.

how is this better than a judge making a judgment call regarding who executes their show "better"?

So what was the problem with the old VFW system? Too much Yang, not enough Yin?

DCI came about because there was too much Yen involved.

VFW days were all about execution. It was a part of the show. How clean was your corps; the ranks, fronts, m&m; the horn line; the drum line? The tick system was easy then and it made sense. Corps scored in the nineties back then too and we all know that's ludicrous.

I think the modern drum corps model evolved out of corps attempting to beat the tick system, at least in M&M.

DCI doesn't lend itself to the tick system anymore and I feel it would only seperate the upper corps from the lower corps even more.

I get the impression you're simply looking for accountability and saying the tick system will provide some accountability, but in current DCI, is accountability for mistakes really necessary when there is so much more going on in the performance other than the bygone ranks, files, fronts and rudiments?

Not sure what you are asking. A judge makes taped commentary as he/she evaluates the caption. The score is based on the analysis the judge has made during the show, and the tape had better provide support for a particular rank/rating.

Which do you think is more reliable, an itemized list recording the errors at the moment they occur, or a number based on the overall evaluation of the show once it's over. Really - this isn't hard to figure out.

But the judge is suppose to do more than just have an impression. He suppose to do an analytical comparison, and then an analysis of that comparison. If he follows that process, you get a very objective evaluation of achievement, with far more depth and reasoning than a simple list of mistakes. Good judges also take notes on units, which helps maintain objectivity.

I can agree with they are 'supposed' to do. I'm just wondering if there is a way for other corps to gain advantage in placement throughout the season. IOW should Belleville still win because they do have won the last seven shows, yet Audobon came in and was much cleaner with what may not be as good concept show? There. Those corps names shouldn't offend anyone!

Maybe the word that I'm really looking for to describe this is 'parity'.