Operation Taps Updates 3/3/08

I've updated the info on the OperationTaps web site.

I have new totals to report on the OperationTaps/DCA Challenge (a "friendly" challenge among brass lines who choose to participate)

Remember, any flyers you distribute in your area count as a point... I know some people live in areas where you might not be called to play that often, but the idea is to show our communities that we're here and we're willing to help.

I had a great talk with the members of the Rochester Crusaders brass line yesterday, and they are on board and willing to help any way they can. They sound great by the way.

I'm hoping that in the near future, Jeff Gibbens and his Erie, PA colleagues can give us a little semi-tutorial on how they've built such a great network in their community. Even if he wants to post it to this thread - go for it Jeff.

Since December 7, 2007, OperationTaps participating units have performed at 42 military honors funerals at which the only other option was to use a recorded version of Taps.

Thanks again to all who have participated.

Tom Allen

Edited by OperationTaps

How do I start a chapter down here in FL?

I have new totals to report on the OperationTaps/DCA Challenge (a "friendly" challenge among brass lines who choose to participate)

Remember, any flyers you distribute in your area count as a point... I know some people live in areas where you might not be called to play that often, but the idea is to show our communities that we're here and we're willing to help.

I had a great talk with the members of the Rochester Crusaders brass line yesterday, and they are on board and willing to help any way they can. They sound great by the way.

I'm hoping that in the near future, Jeff Gibbens and his Erie, PA colleagues can give us a little semi-tutorial on how they've built such a great network in their community. Even if he wants to post it to this thread - go for it Jeff.

Since December 7, 2007, OperationTaps participating units have performed at 42 military honors funerals at which the only other option was to use a recorded version of Taps.

Tom Allen

Hey wait a minute. Those guys from Erie play taps with vibrato. They get extra credit for that? That is not fair.

Donny

AND...I heard that Nick was using a music stand the last time he played taps with vibrato. Whats up with that?

Donny

How do I start a chapter down here in FL?

Keith,

Just download the flyer from the site. Go to funeral homes and Veterans organizations - like all the American Legion and VFW Posts, I even went to the Veterans Outreach Center (a lot of families of Vietnam Vets don't even know that since 2000 they're eligible for Honors as well)...

Tell them "We are a drum corps in your area, and if you need a live Taps player please contact us before using a recording of Taps" Even if you know you can't help out 100% of the time, at least let them know you're there.

It might even help you land some Memorial Day gigs (you might want to learn some parade tunes beside "The Last Samurai").

The St. Joe's guys are doing that all over WNY. Erie's got NW PA covered. Empire, Cru, Prime Time Brass have all made themselves available at some point the past few months.

For a lot of these places, it's the first time anyone ever offered. If that's what's happening in a drum corps town like Rochester, I can only imagine what it's like in other places.

I'm guessing the people of the West Coast of Florida would appreciate the help, and the Sun Devils would have an instant fan base.

Every Flyer is a point. Every guy you have willing to help (including guys already signed up with Bugles Across America) is a point, every community gig is a point, and every actual Military Honors Funeral is a point.

Once you get a few flyers out let me know by email and I'll post your point total on the site.

That's it. Hello Florida Chapter!

Hey wait a minute. Those guys from Erie play taps with vibrato. They get extra credit for that? That is not fair.

Donny

Sounds like you need to make a special guest appearance, Donny.

Wow! I had no idea this was even out there. I do several funerals a year for veterans. I guess this stuff just doesn't filter down south very well. I'll be sending out info right away and alert the Corpsvets brass that they are going to be getting calls to play.

Wow! I had no idea this was even out there. I do several funerals a year for veterans. I guess this stuff just doesn't filter down south very well. I'll be sending out info right away and alert the Corpsvets brass that they are going to be getting calls to play.

Yes. I'd love to have the CorpsVets involved! When I started this, I emailed a bunch of corps directors to let them know what we're doing.

It's very casual, very friendly. But to a lot of us, very important.

The point is to see who's doing what in the All-Age drum corps community; celebrate the ones doing great things, and provide ideas and encouragement to those who want to do more.

It's different from Bugles Across America (although many of us members of that as well) in that as organizations, we are proactively letting our communities know we're available.

Tom Allen

Welcome to the Manchester, NH Muchachos / Amoskeag Sound.

This outstanding MCA and DCA mini-corps participant is doing great things in their community.

Check out the 100 Nights of Remberance site!

These guys are the REAL New England Patriots.

Edited by OperationTaps