1980 State of the Art recording

I heard a story that SCV took 7 takes to get the show recorded satisfactorily, and BD came in blew their show once and got out. Is there any truth to that?

As I recall, we also played twice without stops or starts. It wasn't a laid back session where we tracked multiple takes or anything, just a live recording. We were in and out of there fairly quickly. Don't recall getting to mingle much with BD that day.

As an aside, I marched Kingsmen Alumni Corps with two Devs alums that were on the SOTA album. Dave Weinberg (BD sop-KAC DM) and Greg Meader (BD snare-KAC snare). Very cool getting to meet another SOTA alum at the CNY parade, Mr. Chris Nalls.

Edited by scv guy

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did do each song twice as I remember with the exception of Pauper in Paradise with the horn ending. I could have sworn that we only did that piece once.

I remember that we recorded our session first and afterwards I sat in the nearly empty seats and listened to SCV do their entire recording.

Kevin, There was a third BD member there that day who was also in the KAC, Bill Geiman (BD Bass Drum & KAC Cymbals).

We did do each song twice as I remember with the exception of Pauper in Paradise with the horn ending. I could have sworn that we only did that piece once.

I remember that we recorded our session first and afterwards I sat in the nearly empty seats and listened to SCV do their entire recording.

Kevin, There was a third BD member there that day who was also in the KAC, Bill Geiman (BD Bass Drum & KAC Cymbals).

Oh yeah. Forgot about that. Bill G.'s got 3 DCI Championship rings. Pretty cool.

This thread is very informative. I'm in the DCA Corps Frontier. We are playing Caravan. I've been thinking to myself - "This sounds really familiar. I think we played this in 1980 then cut it".

So I ordered the State of the Art CD to find out. If I had known about this thread I could have had my answer. But I want the CD anyway. Also ordered State of the Art II. Checking the mail box every 10 minutes.....

Those of you that posted props to the Caravan soloist you are right on. I think his name was Steve, but I can't quite remember.

I've owned SOTA CD for quite a while. (SOTA2 - 1987 - was my first CD ever.) And before I owned the CD, I had a tape copy of the original SOTA album. And even before that I had heard tracks from SOTA - without knowing that it was Blue Devils and SCV. (The guy I got the tape from thought they were marching bands.) I enjoy Devs there more than on DCI Finals recording. SG7 and Caravan are my SCV favorites.

There is something I've always wanted to know about SOTA: I heard a story that SCV took 7 takes to get the show recorded satisfactorily, and BD came in blew their show once and got out. Is there any truth to that?

Urban Legend Alert

I was the producer for this recording and as I write this, the master analog tapes sit here in my office, complete with 2 takes of every tune by each corps.

Chris Nalls has a steel-trap memory, and the greatest lip trill this side of Pete Burnijko.

We set out that day with the goal of making the best drum corps recording of all time. Others will have to judge that, but all of us, SCV, BD, engineers, Pavilion staff, Gail, Jerry, Pete, Fred, Wayne, Terry Shalberg...et al, knew we were making history.

I am personally gratified by two things: the recording is still available 28 years later, and many of you seem to enjoy it.

Frank Dorritie

Probably never, I'm thinking. There were reason's, after all, for the second takes.

Having said that, we did use a good amount of material from first takes: Larrie Dastrup's incredible solo in "Ya Gotta Try" and SCV's remarkable "Stoneground Seven", for instance.

Urban Legend Alert

I was the producer for this recording and as I write this, the master analog tapes sit here in my office, complete with 2 takes of every tune by each corps.

Frank Dorritie

I stand (humbly) corrected.

Frank Dorritie, ladies and gentlemen.

I've stated before how I freaked out in the winter of 1981 while listening to SOTA for the first time, expecting to hear Stone Ground Seven and hearing HORN PARTS to go with it.