Mike Boo's Fanfare Column

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Boo has asked me to post this Fanfare Column for him that ran today on DCI.org in honor of his dad. It is my honor to do so dear friend.

Marilyn

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=f...fd-5d901d74e029

Beautiful.....

Michael - so sorry to hear of this. I'm thinking of you.....

Beautiful.....

Michael - so sorry to hear of this. I'm thinking of you.....

Thank you, my friend.

On Saturday, Tom Day, founder of Bugles Across America, is personally going to play "Taps" on an authentic bugle, one that was used for "Taps" for the burial of President McKinley.

The outpouring of love from those I know and don't know (yet) of those in the drum corps community has been most touching and comforting. A few drum corps friends came to the wake, as did DCI's Executive Director Dan Acheson, in the middle of all the moving to Indianapolis. I was most touched by all. DCI, Music for All (BOA) and the Cavaliers sent flowers, as did my dear friends the Cooks.

And I heard from Madison Scouts as well.

We may not always agree on things each other holds dear, but we're all family.

Mike

Please know that you have my heart as you walk this road. I hope your journey is comforted in some small way by the pureness of the emotions that we feel for your loss as if it were our own. May God continue to walk with you and your family during this trying time.

:lol:

We may not always agree on things each other holds dear, but we're all family.

Mike

Families fight sometimes. They also rally when one of us is in any kind of trouble and that trumps everything else. We can take up the (ultimately unimportant) debates later but for now, we're all with you Michael. Take care....

Dear Michael,

My heart and thoughts are with you during this time. I lost my mother to Alzheimer's 6 weeks ago. When she passed I wrote an article on the Troopers forums about how she, a single mom, handled my desire to march with the Troopers despite our lack of funds. Like your dad, she was proud of my choice despite the "run off to join the circus" mentality so many people around us held toward it.

I am glad that you were able to spend so many weeks with your family. Caregiving at that level is a rare encounter in our lives, and while it is a huge drain it is a blessing in so many ways.

I'm glad you are feeling your creative energy return. I look forward to what comes next in your work. Many prayers to you and your family.

Wow just read the story.... Having lost my mother 18 months ago due to various long term serious physical problems, I don't think I could bring myself to write about it.

Thoughts and prayers with you and your family Mike.

Mike, please except my families condolences and we will keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

That is a very touching story.

My dad and mom entered a retirement home on Tuesday due to the fact that my dad broke his hip and he has a hard time doing stairs. My mom is 90 my dad is 87, they were proud of me when they saw me in uniform and performing.

As they enter a new phase in their lives they are having a hard time excepting the fact they are in a retirement home, they have pictures of me in uniform from 33 years ago decorating their room.

My parents wanted me to do what I wanted when I was young and encouraged me to march as long as I wanted and I did, 9 years, 7 with the Dutch Boy Cadets and 2 years with the Northstars, of Kitchener, Ontario.

:lol: To the Boo Family.

Edited by ODBC

Peace and blessings to you and your family Michael.

kel

Again, thank you to all. The service was quite touching and the contribution of Tom Day and Bugles Across America was absolutely perfect. If you play a high brass instrument, PLEASE check out www.buglesacrossamerica.org. They have set up over 75,000 performances of "Taps" across the US since 2000. Your contribution as a performer could bring much solace to a family in need. And if you don't play a high brass instrument, your monetary contribution is needed for the purchase of flag cases and other things they send out to the families. I am most impressed with their project.

A number of drum corps friends came to the wake or service, including Dad Acheson yesterday, as well as my friends Peg and Tom Kosin (Peg used to work in the DCI office and still volunteers every summer and Tom is the tabulator at all the major shows) and Jeff Fiedler and Chris Weber (DCI.org and all print publicity) today at the funeral. I was most touched.

This has been a remarkable experience and knowing we are all family has helped me get through it. Thank you all.