DCP’ers please read this about Bugles Across America

Today’s Fanfare column is an important one to me, and I hope it is to you as well. It’s important because each of you can help.

Bugles Across America needs your help. Please read about their mission and their accomplishments at this link. Article on Bugles Across America

If you play a high brass instrument, you can register to be a volunteer bugler for one of the many veterans’ funerals the organization supplies buglers for at no charge. And if you don’t play, you can still contribute monetarily

Bugles Across America is an example of how drum corps people are there for one another. Yes, we argue over rules changes, developments in instrumentation, as well as show concepts, winners and placements and score spreads in even the most minute sub-captions and anything else we can think about; but when it all comes down to what’s important, we’re there for one another. And we’re there for others.

I would be thrilled if dozens of you signed up as volunteer buglers or chose to help in some other way. (The monetary gifts presented to my family in memory of Dad are being divided between Bugles Across America and the Illinois Veterans Home to which Dad was accepted shortly before his death.)

If you play a high brass instrument or can make a monetary contribution, check out Bugles Across America.

Tom Day, the founder of Bugles Across America, may also be reached at 1824 S. Culyer Ave., Berwyn, IL 60402-2052 or via e-mail at tomjday@sbcglobal.net.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no historian, but I believe that "Taps" was origanally played by a Union bugler during the American Civil War, and was also adopted by Confederate bugler's as well to sound "Lights Out", which is why it's often played with an "echo". At military funerals the command "Three rounds fired-three rounds spent" (believe me you'll hear them) is usually the cue.

I read about this the other night when I read about your father's passing. I wish I had known about Bugles Across America in 2006.

My father passed away on Father's Day in 2006. He was a veteran of WWII and the Korean War. The local VFW or VA here in Miami did not have anyone who could play taps at his funeral. They had someone present the flag to me, but nothing else. It seems there are very few organizations that can offer this service.

My son, who was (and still is) marching with the Boston Crusaders, was already in camp in New Hampshire and getting ready to hit the road for their first show in Georgia. The directors at Boston arranged to drop my son off in Baltimore for a flight home the day before the funeral. I knew I wasn't going to have anyone at the funeral to play taps and nobody could give me direction on who to contact to do so. When my son arrived home, I asked him if he knew how to play taps. He told me no, but he would see what he could do. I was so involved with the funeral arrangements that I forgot about it until we got to the cemetery. At the precise moment, my son got up and played taps, not on a trumpet, but on a mellophone (his primary instrument) and it was the most beautiful rendition of taps I had ever heard.

My oldest son was stationed in Afghanistan at the time of the funeral and could not come home on leave, so we taped it for him. He was very moved that his little brother could learn taps in such a short time and play it like that. (This summer will be the first time he will see his brother on the field marching at this level).

I will encourage my son to volunteer for this wonderful service and make a monetary donation, if possible, to Bugles Across America. We need more people to keep this going especially in this time of war in the Middle East.

I'm no historian, but I believe that "Taps" was origanally played by a Union bugler during the American Civil War, and was also adopted by Confederate bugler's as well to sound "Lights Out", which is why it's often played with an "echo". At military funerals the command "Three rounds fired-three rounds spent" (believe me you'll hear them) is usually the cue.

If you don't hear that command, you'll hear "Cease firing"

That's your cue.

I played taps for my uncle in 2004. It's emotional, but I cherish the thank you I received from my aunt like no other.

I'll do it when my grandfather passes on. I'll have to find a horn...

If you can do it, do it. It's rewarding to see the family appreciate the honor, and the VFW/AL will appreciate the rendering too.

Edited by MikeM

:laugh:

I signed up for Buglers Across America a loooonnnggg time ago.

I have been a low brass player and a reed player. However, I have recently picked my grandfather's 100-year-old Vega (not a Chevy Vega :guinesssmilie: ) and when I can play Taps appropriately, I will volunteer.

:guinesssmilie:

I signed up for Buglers Across America a loooonnnggg time ago.

Have you ever been called to play "Taps"? And congratulations for being available.

I will encourage my son to volunteer for this wonderful service and make a monetary donation, if possible, to Bugles Across America. We need more people to keep this going especially in this time of war in the Middle East.

Agreed, and thank you.

Today’s Fanfare column is an important one to me, and I hope it is to you as well. It’s important because each of you can help.

Bugles Across America needs your help. Please read about their mission and their accomplishments at this link. Article on Bugles Across America

If you play a high brass instrument, you can register to be a volunteer bugler for one of the many veterans’ funerals the organization supplies buglers for at no charge. And if you don’t play, you can still contribute monetarily

Bugles Across America is an example of how drum corps people are there for one another. Yes, we argue over rules changes, developments in instrumentation, as well as show concepts, winners and placements and score spreads in even the most minute sub-captions and anything else we can think about; but when it all comes down to what’s important, we’re there for one another. And we’re there for others.

I would be thrilled if dozens of you signed up as volunteer buglers or chose to help in some other way. (The monetary gifts presented to my family in memory of Dad are being divided between Bugles Across America and the Illinois Veterans Home to which Dad was accepted shortly before his death.)

If you play a high brass instrument or can make a monetary contribution, check out Bugles Across America.

Tom Day, the founder of Bugles Across America, may also be reached at 1824 S. Culyer Ave., Berwyn, IL 60402-2052 or via e-mail at tomjday@sbcglobal.net.

Michael,

Thanks for bringing this issue to the broader DCP audience, and for adding the drum corps journalism cache that comes with a Michael Boo column.

I've been a volunteer for Bugles Across America for over a year because I've seen that the drum and bugle corps community seems to have forgotten about a very important service that we once provided on a regular basis. And also, as a drum corps guy from a drum corps family with a WWII vet for a father, it's just simply what we're SUPPOSED to do.

Bugles Across America provides a great service. As I've said in other posts, Tom Day deserves a Congressional Medal of Honor.

On Veterans Day 2007, I created OperationTaps.org to act as a supplement to Bugles Across America. The objective of OperationTaps is to encourage corps to proactively create a relationship with Veterans groups and funeral homes so that those organizations know who to call.

The members of participating units of OperationTaps (primarily DCA, MCA, and Alumni corps) are encouraged to enroll with Bugles Across America as well as make contact with community organizations. Our actions are more "organization" to "organization," in our respective communities.

But... Bugles Across America must survive as the hub for individual buglers.

Have you ever been called to play "Taps"? And congratulations for being available.

I have, and I did quite a few times when I first signed up. I mean, we're talking 4 years ago I signed up.

I did then move to Florida, and I haven't heard anything from them since, but my phone numbers have changed quite a bit since then. Maybe I should reregister after this summer :)