Drum Corps in Minneapolis/St. Paul area

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone out there has any information on drum corps that existed in the St. Paul, MN area way back in say maybe the 1940's?

In 2006 my grandpa, Albert Waldbilig, came to one of my drum corps shows, and in talking with him after the show our family found out that he had marched snare drum. It was a complete shock, but awsome at the same time to know that Drum Corps was in my families history.

Now as my grandpa is getting older I really wanted to try and find out more information about any possible corps in this area and maybe some how get some pictures of him or just the snare line or just some information would be great... I understand this may be a little too long ago, but I really wanted to try and get some information that maybe I could put something together so we can share our corps experiances together.

thanks

Try www.corpsreps.com and www.dbcna.com for info.

What corps was your grandfather in? Minnesota Brass traces it's roots back to right after WWII but the name and sponsor changed many times from late 40s to around 1970.

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone out there has any information on drum corps that existed in the St. Paul, MN area way back in say maybe the 1940's?

In 2006 my grandpa, Albert Waldbilig, came to one of my drum corps shows, and in talking with him after the show our family found out that he had marched snare drum. It was a complete shock, but awsome at the same time to know that Drum Corps was in my families history.

Now as my grandpa is getting older I really wanted to try and find out more information about any possible corps in this area and maybe some how get some pictures of him or just the snare line or just some information would be great... I understand this may be a little too long ago, but I really wanted to try and get some information that maybe I could put something together so we can share our corps experiances together.

thanks

:thumbup:

The guy you want to contact is Brian Toltzman(sp) aka Northern Thunder here on DCP. He has probably the most archived info on Minnesota drum corps (not to mention just about everywhere else) and he writes a monthly feature in Drum Corps World.

You might be able to link or contact him through the DCW website. He might be able to access the info you seek or steer you in the right direction.

Pat

Minnesota was HUGE in American Legion drum & bugle corps in the 1920s-1940s era. Only Pennsylvania had more registered Legion corps than Minnesota for a number of years. There were also a ton of business-sponsored corps in St. Paul in the 40s.

If you go to the Minnesota History Center in St. Paul there are lots of articles regarding the state drum corps contests in the newspaper microfilm research room.

The Minnesota Historical Society also has some drum & bugle corps photos here:

Historic Minnesota Drum Corps Photos

If you find out which corps he was in let me know. I may have more specific info.

:worthy:

Thanks Brian - for chiming in here. You 'da man. :worthy:

Sorry I spelled your name wrong..another brain cramp.. :thumbup:

Pat

The St. Paul Scouts were a good corps. Small in numbers,but they could march well, play some dynamite Dennison arrangements,etc. One of the most surprising drill moves they performed was the big wheel. Anyone out there recall that?

Mike