Snare Carriers -

I was reading the "SCV Tilt" thread and thought I'd get some clarification. I was wondering if anyone here can say which DCI corps first used snare drum carriers. I don't know for sure but my guess is Santa Clara Vanguard in 1979. That was the first snareline I remember using carriers instead of straps. I know they had one bad ### 12 member snareline that year - I know they used Slingerland TDR snares - I know they used carriers instead of straps, and I know they played matched grip as well. They also took the drumline award that year (barely - just a tick or so over North Star). Can anyone here clarify this for me?

Thanks!

GO SCOUTS!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading the "SCV Tilt" thread and thought I'd get some clarification. I was wondering if anyone here can say which DCI corps first used snare drum carriers. I don't know for sure but my guess is Santa Clara Vanguard in 1979. That was the first snareline I remember using carriers instead of straps. I know they had one bad ### 12 member snareline that year - I know they used Slingerland TDR snares - I know they used carriers instead of straps, and I know they played matched grip as well. They also took the drumline award that year (barely - just a tick or so over North Star). Can anyone here clarify this for me?

Thanks!

GO SCOUTS!

I found this site that gives a great timeline It says 1973 SCV http://www.edrumline.com/articles/drumlines-greatest-moments

Edited by Perry S

I found this site that gives a great timeline It says 1973 SCV http://www.edrumline.com/articles/drumlines-greatest-moments

OK - but that says nothing about SNARE DRUM carriers. Many corps were using carriers for tenors before 1979 - The question was - who was the first corps to use SNARE DRUM CARRIERS?

O.K. you guys got my curiosity up so I checked out my 25 year anniversary book for pictures. SCV definitely had snare carriers in '79. Their tunics were sliced to accommodate them. Checking out '78, they "may" have had them then but the picture that is available is questionable. So, definitely '79. '78? It will have to be confirmed by someone who marched then. I'll check the Alumni site and see if someone knows.

Edited by MsBusDriver

I know the Guardsmen had snare carriers in 1979.

Were the Guardsmen playing Slingerland or Ludwig that year? I'm thinking Slingerland may have offered the first snare carriers. I guess I need to put in my 1979 DVD to check!

Gmen definitely had Slingerland. That was the year, in my humble opinion, that the Gmen put the quads on notice with the Slingerland cut-aways. Changed the tenor world even to this day.

Gmen definitely had Slingerland. That was the year, in my humble opinion, that the Gmen put the quads on notice with the Slingerland cut-aways. Changed the tenor world even to this day.

The cutaway tenors first appeared with Vanguard in '77 (that was the same year Ludwig came out with THEIR new tenor design, the plastic scoop attached to the shell). It was also the same year that Spirit debuted, with five or six drums (seven? Paul Milano would probably remember) mounted on each tenor set. Put the multi-multi drums idea together with the cut-away design, and a couple seasons later you get Slingerland's new approach to tenors. By '81, Ludwig had gone to the bias cut tenor design and dropped the scoops, and the concept really hasn't moved a whole lot in the 25 years since then.

On the OT, it was Vanguard AND Devils with carriers in '79, but it strikes me that Kilts might have had something like carriers for THEIR snare/tenor combo drums during the first half of the '78 season. They had a guy in their tenor line in the mid-70s who was making plexiglass carriers for tenors, and I'm not sure how they would have carried those original rigs with slings.... :tongue:

Kilties were the first corps that used carriers for snare drums, in 1976. They aren't remembered much because they had a real down year in 1976 and dropped from 7th the year before to 28th that year. Gary Moore—a Cavaliers alumnus who wrote the book "Playing With the Enemy" that has recently been discussed here—designed the harnesses from existing tri-tenor harnesses.