So what DID happen in SCV 1993-1995?

Yes. I played snare in 84-85 Crossmen, 86 Garfield Cadets, and 87-88 SCV (center snare in 88).

Thanks for asking. :smile:

Wow - those are some awesome years

87 is my favorite SCV show and I like the 88 version of Phantom better than the 89.

86 Garfield is sweet too :smile: ( why such a small snareline?)

86 Garfield is sweet too :smile: ( why such a small snareline?)

Well, the plan was to have 7 snares, and through the winter we probably went through 15 "Snare Drummer #7s." Guys kept trying out, some would make it, and then they would disappear. We called that last snare spot our revolving door.

Then, as the summer approached, Tom Hannum made it very clear to us that he didn't care how many drummers we had, only that we played great. We stopped worrying about it, and had a great tour -- the drum line got very, very close.

Quad drummer #4 got cut during the summer (long story), and we went to DCI with a battery 6-3-5, and a whole herd of cymbal players. If my memory serves me correctly, we came in 2nd in drums at finals, to the Blue Devils, who were never going to lose to anyone that year. I don't know that any other corps other than Garfield would have been able to sell such a small battery with the world's largest horn line that year.

I came into the Cadets telling the drum staff that I was going to SCV the next year no matter what -- but, looking back on it, I would not trade the experience I had with the Cadets for anything in the world. Win, lose or draw, it was definitely something special.

I came into the Cadets telling the drum staff that I was going to SCV the next year no matter what

Thanks for the info

How did you know a year ahead of time that you wanted to go to SCV??

Thanks for the info

How did you know a year ahead of time that you wanted to go to SCV??

Here's the story ---

I was always interested in SCV, since my band director (John Bender, Crestwood, PA) was a huge SCV fan, and even designed our high school's uniforms after Vanguard. Then, when I was in the 7th grade, another local band director (Dave Cooper, Nanticoke, PA) took a group of us to Montreal for the 1982 DCI World Championships. I saw Vanguard (and the Bottle Dance) for the first time, and was completely stunned -- it was literally a life changing epiphany. I knew that's where I had to be. Then, after Prelims, I announced to everyone in our group that I would one day march with and teach the Santa Clara Vanguard. Mind you, that was a completely idiotic thing to do, since I had only been drumming for about a year at the time.

In my senior year, I joined Crossmen because they were close, and I enjoyed the music and image. After Crossmen blew up and temporarily folded after the 1985 season of kinda-sorta Spanish music, I planned to take a year off and then move out to California to accomplish my dreams with Vanguard.

Faaaaaast forward to college band at West Chester, and I found myself marching next to Tom Aungst, who taught the Cadets at the time. Tom literally showed up to my dorm room before the first camp, and told me I was going to the Cadets with him, I had no choice. This was amusing and cool enough that I decided to give Cadets a shot. However, I made it clear to Thom Hannum and Tom Aungst that I was going to SCV the next year no matter what, even if we won. They were very cool about it, and the summer with Cadets was a fantastic learning experience (but very hard).

After the season, I flew out to California in October and made Vanguard. Then, I came back East and performed with the Cadets drum line at the PAS convention. Which I believe probably makes me the only person to ever be a member of both corps at once. lol.

Fate intervened after my age-out 1988 season, and after being center snare and running a lot of the 1988 winter sectionals, Ralph Hardimon asked me to join the Vanguard's staff. Given my wacky but kinda prophetic announcement back in 1982, one of the highlights of my life was telling my friends back in PA who had been with me that day in Montreal that I had just joined Vanguard's staff. Mr. Cooper was stunned silly, and I gave him a SCV poster that was autographed by most of the corps to thank him. To this day, he still has it.

Whether or not people enjoy or appreciate the work I did with SCV, I consider becoming Vanguard's percussion caption head 12 years after the snot-nosed 7th grader publicly said he would, as one of the major achievements of my life.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. Thank you so much for asking about this. I hope that drum corps proves to be as rewarding for you as it has been for me.

• Like 1

A plastic cutout of the six rag-tag SCV snare drummers remains the prominent drum corps memorabilia on display in my office.

Kevin Murray has his in his office as well. It is the only drum corps souvenir he has in the office (apart from his DCI I&E Snare Champion plaque).

• Like 1

Whether or not people enjoy or appreciate the work I did with SCV, I consider becoming Vanguard's percussion caption head 12 years after the snot-nosed 7th grader publicly said he would, as one of the major achievements of my life.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. Thank you so much for asking about this. I hope that drum corps proves to be as rewarding for you as it has been for me.

Thanks for another great story - what years were you caption head??? 94?? I agree about that as being one of your major achievments - it's amazing!

Drum corps hasn't always been so rewarding for me - I tried out and made the '91 Madison Scouts snareline. Some of my best friends in the world were in that line - but, there were some things that happened that made me decide not to march. It was one of the hardest decisions of my life, and remains my biggest regret. I took about a ten year break from DCi from 92-01, but have been a big fan since. I still am a huge Scouts fan and have some close friends that are still in the organiztion. Thanks for sharing about your times. You should post more often :ninja:

Thanks for another great story - what years were you caption head??? 94?? I agree about that as being one of your major achievments - it's amazing!

Drum corps hasn't always been so rewarding for me - I tried out and made the '91 Madison Scouts snareline. Some of my best friends in the world were in that line - but, there were some things that happened that made me decide not to march. It was one of the hardest decisions of my life, and remains my biggest regret. I took about a ten year break from DCi from 92-01, but have been a big fan since. I still am a huge Scouts fan and have some close friends that are still in the organiztion. Thanks for sharing about your times. You should post more often :ninja:

Thanks. You should march with a senior corps!

Kevin Murray has his in his office as well. It is the only drum corps souvenir he has in the office (apart from his DCI I&E Snare Champion plaque).

It is really hard to compare any other year with 1993 SCV. I have never seen a drum corps season end with an entire drum line and staff crying under a tree ... tears of happiness.

One of my best memories of 93, was after setting up in Jackson, the horn staff came by one nite and asked all of support people to follow them.

They lead us to the horn arc, and played "Clowns" for us.

Dan, It was an awesome experience at the time for sure. That was my last "full" tour driving Bus 3. I believe that that "Tradition" born in '93 is still done. They were still doing it the last time I drove the Corps in '04 for TOC. Talk about goosbumps and tears galore.

Here's the story ---

I was always interested in SCV, since my band director (John Bender, Crestwood, PA) was a huge SCV fan, and even designed our high school's uniforms after Vanguard. Then, when I was in the 7th grade, another local band director (Dave Cooper, Nanticoke, PA) took a group of us to Montreal for the 1982 DCI World Championships. I saw Vanguard (and the Bottle Dance) for the first time, and was completely stunned -- it was literally a life changing epiphany. I knew that's where I had to be. Then, after Prelims, I announced to everyone in our group that I would one day march with and teach the Santa Clara Vanguard. Mind you, that was a completely idiotic thing to do, since I had only been drumming for about a year at the time.

In my senior year, I joined Crossmen because they were close, and I enjoyed the music and image. After Crossmen blew up and temporarily folded after the 1985 season of kinda-sorta Spanish music, I planned to take a year off and then move out to California to accomplish my dreams with Vanguard.

Faaaaaast forward to college band at West Chester, and I found myself marching next to Tom Aungst, who taught the Cadets at the time. Tom literally showed up to my dorm room before the first camp, and told me I was going to the Cadets with him, I had no choice. This was amusing and cool enough that I decided to give Cadets a shot. However, I made it clear to Thom Hannum and Tom Aungst that I was going to SCV the next year no matter what, even if we won. They were very cool about it, and the summer with Cadets was a fantastic learning experience (but very hard).

After the season, I flew out to California in October and made Vanguard. Then, I came back East and performed with the Cadets drum line at the PAS convention. Which I believe probably makes me the only person to ever be a member of both corps at once. lol.

Fate intervened after my age-out 1988 season, and after being center snare and running a lot of the 1988 winter sectionals, Ralph Hardimon asked me to join the Vanguard's staff. Given my wacky but kinda prophetic announcement back in 1982, one of the highlights of my life was telling my friends back in PA who had been with me that day in Montreal that I had just joined Vanguard's staff. Mr. Cooper was stunned silly, and I gave him a SCV poster that was autographed by most of the corps to thank him. To this day, he still has it.

So I know you must know my high school buddy, Jeff Lee. I believe he played Tympani with the Vanguard that year (88). I have recently reconnected with Jeff and he has blessed me with 3 tickets to see BLAST in Galveston tomorrow. It is truly a small world. Jeff is a couple of years younger than I am. He is an incredible jazz piano player as well - if you didn't already know that. We actually recruited him into the high school jazz band when he was in middle school because of his talent. He made the transformation to xylophone player as a freshman and to be honest - I think he weighed less than the #### musser xylo he carried. What a talented individual he was - and still is. We were in a fairly good marching band from Albuquerque NM but with his help, and a LOT of work we managed a 4 year run winning every drum title in every contest we marched in. – Sorry to run along but I thought you might want know a bit about Jeff's younger days.

I have a great amount of respect for you and those who found a way to stay active in drum corps. I only wish I could have…… Take Care! PS. Tried to PM this to you but your inbox is full>