So what DID happen in SCV 1993-1995?

I'll buy all of that. 92 was sub-par as far as results go, but was THE show of the year from the time 91 was over until they marched off the field. Nothing...I mean NOTHING topped the bottle dance that year for pure emotion, audience reaction...and volume! Holy Mother of Christ! I will take that moment to the grave with me...wow! Simply wow! Great year for corps, but nobody elicited the interest from the time they entered the tunnel. And playing 'Phantom' as the on-show warm-up...anyone who has recovered from those chills yet? Gail's farewell, I still believe...just a little reminder of the greatest triumph ever? And dog 93 all you want...the ending drill move mirroring the opening move from 92 was simultaneously awesome, classy and a very fitting 'farewell' from the corps to its founding director.

Actually, I'd bet a Dublin Dr Pepper that Fiddler could be pulled off today better than then due to all the emphasis on theme, etc. Think 'Faust' in terms of appeal and design opportunities (I'd say Spartacus except none of us have seen it yet!) except with music related to the thematic material!

thats weird, i seem to remember the biggest audience reaction in 92 by far was madisons drum feature, going into the loud section in their closer (funny seemed quite a bit louder than the bottle dance). i liked scv's hornline (i thought sabbath prayer was fantastic live), but i didn't feel they were nearly as intense as madison that year, and i think a large majority of the crowds agreed, madison really tore down the house everywhere they went in 92 (even lit a school on fire in the end zone at previews in nashville)

At the time, it was trendy to count the Vanguard out, since we were dead in the water in the early season, with mostly rookies and a show that did not work. We honestly thought we were probably going to fall out of DCI Finals, especially when our own SCV Cadets corps looked more than capable of beating us on first tour (true story).

Lee

Eff all of this noise, the drum feature from 93 SCV is still one of my favorite drum corps moments ever. We from Bloo didn't get to see that show a whole lot (maybe just once before finals), but I remember getting to the stands just in time for this show on finals night. Aren't drumlines just supposed to stand in one place and play the feature? I guess not after that show.

I would be very curious to see a tape of this show from early season. I remember hearing through the grapevine that SCV was struggling, but then I saw the show, and I had a hard time understanding why people were talking that way.

You can lump Phantom Regiment 2000 in with 98 and 99, I think.

I'm not so sure about that. I think 2000 is highly underrated.

IMO, probably their best hornline of the past 10 years.

'93 was a year of Kids...meaning out of the 60some horns, only 12 had marching experience (Corps experience) They were so young they even made "Nothings" vets..

Those who know what "nothings" means knows what Im talking about

I'm reading this book and it refers to SCV 93-95 as the "dark ages", a joke of some kind, that Santa Clara had lost its way...so what actually happened? Also, we're those years's shows that bad?

Eff all of this noise, the drum feature from 93 SCV is still one of my favorite drum corps moments ever. We from Bloo didn't get to see that show a whole lot (maybe just once before finals), but I remember getting to the stands just in time for this show on finals night. Aren't drumlines just supposed to stand in one place and play the feature? I guess not after that show.

I would be very curious to see a tape of this show from early season. I remember hearing through the grapevine that SCV was struggling, but then I saw the show, and I had a hard time understanding why people were talking that way.

You might be amused to learn that I wrote the ending to the 93 solo (the slow motion drumming over the bass runs) on a napkin one night on the SCV staff bus. Our first 400 versions of the ending did not work, and we had long run out of ideas. Bada boom bada bing, came a too-long bus ride one night and the napkin ... we tried the slow motion idea at rehearsal, sprinkled some genius Scott Johnson, Kevin Murray, Rueben the Jackal, Kent Cater and Scotty Sells magic on top ... and kaboom.

We had an ending.

Truth be told, despite winning DCI in 1989, and marching in some great Crossmen, SCV and Garfield Cadets drum corps, 1993 Vanguard remains alone as the ultimate junior corps experience for me.

I noticed that you played snare on your DCA I&E solo - did you play snare in junior corps too??

I did Miss Amana support for SCV in 93 and 94 after leaving the activity for 10 yrs.

I personally thought that 93 was a great show.

The lush music. the classy guard "uniforms".

Beautiful show.

94 was truly amazing.

I am not a fan of prop shows and could have easily done with out the Poppies On Wheels.

But from the opening Red October to the Great Gates... Totally floored me.

The best of the Lenny years IMO.

Esp. the Hearshey show, I was in tears.

And yes, Lenny would not let the hornline play Clowns and replaced it with this POS "Vanguard Anthem", that sounded alot like the theme from

Battlestar Galactica (the original series) or something like that.

Luckily the horn staff, horn members and a few alums :smile: made sure that Clowns was heard.

One of my best memories of 93, was after setting up in Jackson, the horn staff came by one nite and asked all of support people to follow them.

They lead us to the horn arc, and played "Clowns" for us. (Lenny was at a DCI meeting at the time :smile:)

I went up to a couple of the horn players and said "the secret to that song is the release after the push. It has to be so sharp, so clean that the audience falls into the silence."

Let me tell you the next nite I walked over to the horn arc and experienced one of the most amazing performances of "Clowns" in my life.

A release, so razor sharp, it cut right though the humidity of Mississippi in August, like warm butter.

Its those moments that make this sport so amazing.

• Like 1

I noticed that you played snare on your DCA I&E solo - did you play snare in junior corps too??

Yes. I played snare in 84-85 Crossmen, 86 Garfield Cadets, and 87-88 SCV (center snare in 88).

Thanks for asking. :smile:

I did Miss Amana support for SCV in 93 and 94 after leaving the activity for 10 yrs.

I personally thought that 93 was a great show.

The lush music. the classy guard "uniforms".

Beautiful show.

94 was truly amazing.

I am not a fan of prop shows and could have easily done with out the Poppies On Wheels.

But from the opening Red October to the Great Gates... Totally floored me.

The best of the Lenny years IMO.

Esp. the Hearshey show, I was in tears.

And yes, Lenny would not let the hornline play Clowns and replaced it with this POS "Vanguard Anthem", that sounded alot like the theme from

Battlestar Galactica (the original series) or something like that.

Luckily the horn staff, horn members and a few alums :smile: made sure that Clowns was heard.

One of my best memories of 93, was after setting up in Jackson, the horn staff came by one nite and asked all of support people to follow them.

They lead us to the horn arc, and played "Clowns" for us. (Lenny was at a DCI meeting at the time :smile:)

I went up to a couple of the horn players and said "the secret to that song is the release after the push. It has to be so sharp, so clean that the audience falls into the silence."

Let me tell you the next nite I walked over to the horn arc and experienced one of the most amazing performances of "Clowns" in my life.

A release, so razor sharp, it cut right though the humidity of Mississippi in August, like warm butter.

Its those moments that make this sport so amazing.

That a really cool memory Dan.

Trying to kill off Clowns from Vanguard's rep. was one of the most ridiculous ideas ever.