Bugler's Hall of Fame

Andy 'I'm taller than JC' Lisko, you did a wonderful job not only as an MC, but with your percussive talents on those tonal, ahhhh, errrrr, buckets(?)...........what a wonderful night of camraderie and fraternity. The synergy was astounding. Just playing in a line with all those greats was intimidating and rewarding. The talk about drum corps as a 'family' and how truly 'special' it is to each and every one of the former members and us new inductees was an inspiration. That all this talent came together with 'common cause' to accept new brothers is an honor in itself.

Amazing how much respect for the genre and each other was evident in the room.

Donny.......we missed you bro (Joe).......it was a kick man. Good luck and a speedy recover to Clark Terry. Maybe you can catch the gig next year.

Thanks to my big brother Johnny Grass for submitting me and the BHOF for voting me in. A very big thank you to Kenton Clark for having the vision and energy to formulate this great organization and to Anthony Convertito for being the man who keeps it all together.......fabulous.........my daughter and grandson felt as if they were with family and Jason couldn't stop talking about all his new friends........especially Frank Dorritie 'cause he has hair just like poppie'. To my new brother Curt.....man, what a pleasure and thanks for the wave at the show. You, Frankie and the rest of the corps were just fantastic.

Andy, I love you like a brother, but if Jason would have played with those Ralph Hardimon Corps Masters you gave him one more time, I would have found you and given them back........along with him.

Joe

I play horn

The BHOF Class of 2008 Induction Dinner was held over the weekend in Bridgeport in conjunction with the Barnum Festival ... three of the five (Jim, Jack and Kurt) were able to attend ... Donnie was represented by Mike Lipton, Doug Mellenthine and Rod Keppel and Clark Terry, who marched in the Tom Powell Jr. Drum Corps of St. Louis, couldn't attend due to a recent heart attack ...

The evening was festive and the talent level suberb when they all the attendees decided to "jam' at the end of the night ... led by BHOFer Dave Negri and Dave Dion on keyboard, the likes of Joe DeFiglia, Ruben Ariola, Kenton Clarke, Johnny Grass, Frank Doritte, Jimmy Maldonado, Tommy Martin, Artie Hylwa Frank Ponzo, Ritchee Price, Buzzy Bergdoll and Eddie Hayward displayed some incredible bugling talents as they joined the new inductees in serenading the other "non-drum corps" restaurant patrons with Amazing Grace, Auld Lang Sine, Basin St. Blues, Elks, Barnum & Bailey, Rampart St. Parade, Stars & Stripes and an bevy of individual jazz riffs ... iwas was amazing listenting to all these icons displaying their talents ...

It was a pleasure to serve as MS for the evening and look forward to meeting the Class of 2009 next year ...

Andy "yes, I'm a drummer and they still let me MC" Lisko

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim ....

We tried our best and from the reaction of the crowd I think we won them over ..... glad I was able to spot you in the stands and yes we are now brothers of the drum corps kind.

Definately have to agree with you about Friday evening on all accounts. It will be a night I will replay over and over again in my mind. I have so much respect for all those who were in that room. Just to be mentioned with that group is honor enough .... but to actually be in the fraternity ............ wow

To my great, great friend and Cabs Alum playing mate Frank ..... thanks for everything you did for me and continue to do. I am humbled and forever grateful.

And now for a shameless plug : come out to see Cabs Alumni you won't be disappointed

"Definately have to agree with you about Friday evening on all accounts. It will be a night I will replay over and over again in my mind. I have so much respect for all those who were in that room. Just to be mentioned with that group is honor enough .... but to actually be in the fraternity ............ wow"

Congratulations, Curt!

Andy 'I'm taller than JC' Lisko, you did a wonderful job not only as an MC, but with your percussive talents on those tonal, ahhhh, errrrr, buckets(?)...........what a wonderful night of camraderie and fraternity. The synergy was astounding. Just playing in a line with all those greats was intimidating and rewarding. The talk about drum corps as a 'family' and how truly 'special' it is to each and every one of the former members and us new inductees was an inspiration. That all this talent came together with 'common cause' to accept new brothers is an honor in itself.

Andy, I love you like a brother, but if Jason would have played with those Ralph Hardimon Corps Masters you gave him one more time, I would have found you and given them back........along with him.

Joe

I play horn

... being called upon to be the "rhythm" section on the ricotta pails and Bud Light bottles may make the "highlight" reel on some newscast ... I hope someone took some pics ... and tell your grandson he's welcome to bang on anything he likes with those sticks ... I can only imagine it was the first time he ever said "What the hell is he doing"? ... LOL ... but ... the best part to me is the banter, jibes, digs, compliments, embarrassing facts, forgotten facts and general to-and-fro that occurs as I do the introductions ...

Looking forward to more involvement fro the BHOFers at the upcoming I&E shows and of course to next year's Class of 2009!

Andy "BHOF MC and Rhythm Section" Lisko

Edited by ajlisko

Amen to looking forward Andy.

Just got my current ITG Journal and there's an article titled "Playing the Bugle: A Part of History". Mostly it's a history of signaling instruments from shofar to today. It does acknowledge modern day drum and 'bugle' corps, but most importantly it references some 'celebrity' buglers such as, Clark Terry, 'Doc' Severinsen, Mike Vax, Chet Baker and Herb Alpert. It also says "the great Rafael Mendez was said to have bugled in Mexico---for Pancho Villa". I really don't think the Maestro was old enough, but that's something to research.

Joe a/k/a Jimbalaya a/k/a Joebaloney (according to Nick)

... being called upon to be the "rhythm" section on the ricotta pails and Bud Light bottles may make the "highlight" reel on some newscast ... I hope someone took some pics ... and tell your grandson he's welcome to bang on anything he likes with those sticks ... I can only imagine it was the first time he ever said "What the hell is he doing"? ... LOL ... but ... the best part to me is the banter, jibes, digs, compliments, embarrassing facts, forgotten facts and general to-and-fro that occurs as I do the introductions ...

Looking forward to more involvement fro the BHOFers at the upcoming I&E shows and of course to next year's Class of 2009!

Andy "BHOF MC and Rhythm Section" Lisko