Star of Indiana Question

So I've been wondering lately, Star had the money and the resources, so why did they pull out of DCI competition to put together Brass Theater, rather than starting the program in addition to the drum and bugle corps?

Many corps now field a drum corps, a winterguard, a winter drumline, are starting to play around with winter brass, and several other groups, and while non specifically field anything as vast as Blast!, Odysssey seems like it will be on par with the Star of Indiana legacy, and is taking the time of several key players in the Blue Devils organization. I don't see Blue Devils going away anytime soon because of this, so I'm just wondering.

And please please please don't start anything about how the 93 season ended. They had planned to end competition long before finals night in 93.

Thanks!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I've been wondering lately, Star had the money and the resources, so why did they pull out of DCI competition to put together Brass Theater, rather than starting the program in addition to the drum and bugle corps?

Many corps now field a drum corps, a winterguard, a winter drumline, are starting to play around with winter brass, and several other groups, and while non specifically field anything as vast as Blast!, Odysssey seems like it will be on par with the Star of Indiana legacy, and is taking the time of several key players in the Blue Devils organization. I don't see Blue Devils going away anytime soon because of this, so I'm just wondering.

And please please please don't start anything about how the 93 season ended. They had planned to end competition long before finals night in 93.

Thanks!

Wow....a post bred from april boredom that doesnt suck

Congrats!!!

Bill Cook went into some detail on this here. Bottom line: they had a huge opportunity to do something unique with the Canadian Brass, so they took it and ran with it. I think you're right that they planned to leave the activity before August '93, but those plans were kept very close to the vest (probably just Jim Mason, Bill Cook, and a couple of other people knew they had signed the letter of intent to go in with the Canadian Brass).

Thanks!

Bill Cook went into some detail on this here. Bottom line: they had a huge opportunity to do something unique with the Canadian Brass, so they took it and ran with it. I think you're right that they planned to leave the activity before August '93, but those plans were kept very close to the vest (probably just Jim Mason, Bill Cook, and a couple of other people knew they had signed the letter of intent to go in with the Canadian Brass).

Great information. I like his quote "The beautiful part of drum corps is that there can only be one champion and in 1993 it was the Cadets," just in retrospect to what happened three years later.

Still, I'm curious now what would have happened had Star continued in addition to Brass Theater...if either program would have been successful.

Wow....a post bred from april boredom that doesnt suck

Congrats!!!

Ya, thanks. I went through several drafts and a couple brainstorming sessions, and thought this one would be the best. :ninja:

Ya, thanks. I went through several drafts and a couple brainstorming sessions, and thought this one would be the best. :ninja:

Good job. Definitely worth the extra time.

Great information. I like his quote "The beautiful part of drum corps is that there can only be one champion and in 1993 it was the Cadets," just in retrospect to what happened three years later.

Still, I'm curious now what would have happened had Star continued in addition to Brass Theater...if either program would have been successful.

Bill Cook was pouring A LOT of money into Star. Contrary to popular belief, the tour bus business etc did not fully fund the corps. Even though Bill has boat loads of money, I think there's a point where even he has to pull back on "hobbies" to fund. Also, I think Bill is one of those forward looking individuals. Once he crosses a bridge, he doesn't look back.

edit: One more thing, I think if Bill had put his heart into doing both a drum corps and theater production that they would've been successful. Every goal he's had in drum corps and theater he has achieved. I know that they considered going back into the DC business to set it up as kind of a feeder to Blast...I'm not really sure why that never materialized.

Edited by Medeabrass

hmm. i wonder what would happen if some star alumni got together, wanted to restart the jr corps, and do it without bill cooks money or veto power, just run it like every other drum corps as a shoestring nonprofit. i'm sure the old crew would be involved, at the very least they would have to give their blessing, but i think the core of dedicated people are even more important than the money (money can be found for a worthy purpose, usually. maybe not enough to go cadillac on everything, but at least enough for a second hand chevy type operation).

hmm. i wonder what would happen if some star alumni got together, wanted to restart the jr corps, and do it without bill cooks money or veto power, just run it like every other drum corps as a shoestring nonprofit. i'm sure the old crew would be involved, at the very least they would have to give their blessing, but i think the core of dedicated people are even more important than the money (money can be found for a worthy purpose, usually. maybe not enough to go cadillac on everything, but at least enough for a second hand chevy type operation).

I think this would make a lot of alumni mad. It most likely would not be as successful as the original Star of Indiana and I'm willing to be that a lot of people would feel that putting anything less on the field would be a disgrace. However, it does seem that the Blue Stars are working at becoming Blue Star of Indiana. They already have a lot of Star alumni working with them. They even have Donnie VanDoren working with them. Apparently a lot of Blue Stars alums aren't too happy about some of the changes being made but for the corps, if they want to be more competitive than they need to do what they think is best.

-Weedy

As a Star of Indiana Alumnus, my most pressing concerns at the moment are:

Where will the party be DCI weekend in Bloomington?

Will we have a cold beverage tent in the parking lot at Memorial Stadium for the Alumni to gather at?

Can we please stay focused on the important stuff right now - what could be more improtant than cold beverages and the company of old friends at finals?!??!

Conley - I see you lurking on this thread. There better be a party!!!! LOL! Hope to see you and the kids in May.

Edited by SaraNYC