The Star of Indiana Phenomenon

From my perspective Star was not hated out of jealously but because they were rip off artists, arrogant, snotty and condescending to others…

So a Midwestern drum corps fan take on the history of Star…you know, one of the folks they are still insulting on this very thread….you guys never did get it, did you? and you were not blameless…most of you were wankers and brought it upon your corps

I saw one of their first shows and I saw their last show

How many instructors and staff did Star poach from other corps when they stared, all of them

Their first year they were well received and given a free pass…oh, they are cute, pink and doing well, good luck Star, nice to see new blood

Second year…oh, there are still pink, what’s with this space junk on the field, it’s worse than that Mickey mouse stuff, which we gave them a pass on because they were new and trying to be endearing but talk about pandering, is this what they are really going to build a fan base an legacy upon? This is way too bando. Man, they sure do have a lot of guard equipment and extra horns to play with…hmm, the members are not as nice as they were last year, what’s up with that?

Third year…um, this is a bit much did I really see an elephant on the field, some loop hoop thing and a juggler...its a a rip-off of the Bridgemens beloved circus show of 80, but it lacks all their charm and humor, it’s just kind of a stupid show, done well but…hmm, their guard won’t talk to us anymore, wonder why?

Forth year…so now they want to be Spirit of Atlanta, what ever, nice book, I love this music but do they play it blandly, where is the power and the impact? At least they finally fielded a show aimed at someone over age 10, kiddie corps was becoming a joke, guess they want to be taken seriously now, well see.....What’s up with those Hoosiers treating everyone as outsiders?

Fifth year, good gwad, now they think they are the 27th lancers…how could they? They are dancing on the Lancers grave... Why don’t they do their own thing ...at least they are not all pink and trying to be cute. Bad enough they poached others corps staff, now they keep poaching other corps shows and identities? OK, now they are approaching rude....seems their marchers are rude

Sixth year – can’t put my finger on it but it looks kind of Spartcus to me, what’s that banner? They sure do have a lot of junk on the field again...and those guard uni's? Man, now that they are beating some corps, they really have gotten snotty and full of themselves...nope, you did not deserve to win, third was about right so you were not cheated, just shut up and stop being bad loser

Seventh year– oh, we get part 2, part deux shows were rarely well received at that point even just stepping out of the days of signature songs…27th got flack for 79/80, Regiment for 81/21, SCV for 88/89…at the time, it was seen as a cop out to repeat a show and a way to try and win... meaning winning was their only goal…but this show is still kind of boring, its good but not great and not inspired…OK, now their staff and parents or worse than their marchers…try not to sit next to one of them in the stands…oh, they won, I wonder if they'll stop being brats then next year...whatever.

Eight year…OK, this is beyond the pale, hiding behind the US flag as a jingoistic attempt to garner applause? Maybe if you guys were not such strokes and had your own identity instead of ripping off other corps…this has to be about the cheesiest show ever and look, more props and big banners…we are headed down the bando road straight to the superbowl half time …really, they don’t respect other corps traditions, identities, songs or shows because they don’t have their own tradition and identity…and their fans, parents, supporters don’t respect other fans and treat us with contempt…I’m really sick of hearing how great you guys think you are, and your bobby knight visits…we don’t care, you just haven’t earned it yet, baby...now will you stop with the Norma Desmond act of 'you just gotta love us', You’re embarrassing yourselves> Maybe people would like you better if you did your OWN thing and got your fandom and corps to stop telling us all how much better you are than the rest of us and how you've been cheated and how we all must be jealous of your greatness

Their last year…what is this? Well at least it’s not a rip off of another corps but they do look a lot like Cadets this year…this show really doesn’t rock….it’s like a splattering of notes…..nothing….another run….you know, Bartok is good for music lessons and leaning to play but it’s not good for a drum corps show…most people that are not music majors don’t like Bartok…the angry alienation is palpable…combined with what their staff and supporters are saying this show feels like a big FU…you know lady, if your kid is as obnoxious and rude as you are, I kind of hope she get’s hit by lightening while carrying that metal triangle thing around the field (I think I had that thought when I saw them at DCM during a rain storm…maybe it was another show, I saw them a ton that year…like over 10 times a ton)…forward to their final show….hmmm, they blew it, don’t really like their show, don't really like Cadets show either but with that run through, they just gave the title to Cadets, surprised it was that close

Star is gone, ehhh…I tried to like them but they made it almost impossible at least we don’t have to put up with their fans telling us how great they are, how DCI screwed them and everyone else is jealous, how we are all so below the mighty Star and that they are so above us hacks….but you know, seeing them play their brass theatre during finals week, I feel kind of sorry for them….the marchers that is, their staff’s ego’s have gotten bigger by leaching off the Canadian brass...but the marchers seem more friendly now, could it be they miss the other corps now, that they are isolated to a world they created…plus they don’t get to march DCI

Oh well

Why does everyone love Star 93? That show was meant as an insult and a FU to DCI and the fans..You do know Star thought they were too good for us and for DCI…oh, I get it, a bunch of really immature kids trying to show how ‘mature’ there are by worshipping that show….kind of like alt kids try to out obscure each other with their no name alt bands, or how Freshman Lit majors at college all carry around Joyce’s Ulysses to show us how superior they are to us engineering geeks …wow, kind of like Star did to the rest of us while they were around…something never change

I wanted to like Star, they just made it impossible

This is a serious case of "Star Envy." lol

Dude, what would you do if you did not have Star to get your blood boiling??

Probably just be a bitter little person who likes to blow $$^&!!

Oh wait. Sounds like that is pretty much what you are, anyway.

In short, whatever floats your boat. I'm WAY over people like you.

Thank you very much, you have a very nice attitude.

later,

tony

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a serious case of "Star Envy." lol

Dude, what would you do if you did not have Star to get your blood boiling??

Probably just be a bitter little person who likes to blow $$^&!!

Oh wait. Sounds like that is pretty much what you are, anyway.

In short, whatever floats your boat. I'm WAY over people like you.

Thank you very much, you have a very nice attitude.

later,

tony

Yeah...actually that kind of post is pretty typical, and not at all reserved for Star...so....dont feel 'special' :tongue:

They were certainly the best drum corps money could buy. But, if your measure of a drum corps is based on how many members it continues to teach, mature, and inspire to greatness, then of course it has become irrelevant. The success stories are the corps that are still around and getting it done, despite cultural and economic conditions. Star showed up, outspent everyone, gobbled up the best of the best of staff and designers, and was a major player for a very brief period.

But I agree with Aaron from SCV....it WAS 15 years ago. Further, one of the other comments here mentioned something about nothing before 1972 REALLY counting... or some words to that effect. Really? Tell that to Cadets, Scouts, Cavies, BAC, Troopers just to name a few. I think that any drum corps surviving 30, 40, 50, 60, or 70+ years is a much greater accomplishment than having a 9 year spend fest.

Or to put it more bluntly, What has Star done for us lately?

Geeze...you obviously don't realize that most of the top 15 corps in DCI CURRENTLY have ex-star members as staff. They CONTINUE to give back to the activity every year. And how about the fact that Star's evolution into Blast! has given numerous kids a way to make a living doing what they love, an opportunity to tour many different lands, and a vehicle to let the entertainment community at large understand a little bit about what our activity is!

Cowtown, you seem to embody all the things you hate about Star...ever heard of projection before? For those who weren't around back in the day and wonder why we were hated so much, you need look no further than Cowtown to get some perspective. He thinks he's describing why we're hated, and instead, he gives a great portrait about the type of person he is. Way to show your arse to America dude.

Very insightful and accurate response!

"Seventh year– oh, we get part 2, part deux shows were rarely well received at that point even just stepping out of the days of signature songs…27th got flack for 79/80, Regiment for 81/21, SCV for 88/89…at the time, it was seen as a cop out to repeat a show and a way to try and win... meaning winning was their only goal…but this show is still kind of boring, its good but not great and not inspired…OK, now their staff and parents or worse than their marchers…try not to sit next to one of them in the stands…oh, they won, I wonder if they'll stop being brats then next year...whatever."

Repeat after me:

Sir William Walton is not Ottorino Respighi

Burn :tongue:

So what year did you get cut?

:tongue:

Brilliant! :tongue: