I am very serious.

Tansea

I always wanted to march guard, for all the years I marched, but there were none available to me. I went away.

Now I am back and the age limit seems to have disapeared....

What do I do to start learning this craft...I am very serious and will devote to daily practice.

Help me!

Edited by Tansea

I recommend the WGI FUNdamentals videos/dvds (flag, rifle, sabre, tosses, etc..). Those will help you get used to the new ways to do the basics.

I recommend the WGI FUNdamentals videos/dvds (flag, rifle, sabre, tosses, etc..). Those will help you get used to the new ways to do the basics.

Thank you.... :sad:

I always wanted to march guard, for all the years I marched, but there were none available to me. I went away.

What do I do to start learning this craft...I am very serious and will devote to daily practice.

Help me!

I would start to run / jog / walk / bike ride ......anything to get your wind back.

Depending on where you live, there may be a "senior guard" near you. these are usually "older folks" who have aged out (23+ yeard old) and who don't feel able to compete at the world class level, or don't have the time or money to commit to that level. Usually these groups will take brand new people who have no experience and teach them the fundamentals, as well.

Also, see if any groups are offering camps near you-- a lot of high schools use them as fund raisers, and independent groups often use them to train people to their method of spinning. Contact your local winterguard or marching band circuit for more info-- sometimes they post them on their websites under the "classified" sections. This is a good way to meet some people in the activity where you live, as well as a way to learn basic skills-- and possibly more advanced skills depending on who is teaching the camp.

Whatever you do, realize that it's going to be more difficult than you might initially think and be prepared to told you're wrong a lot of the time-- and it may be people much younger than you telling you this--but hopefully they'll also tell you how to fix the problem and will be patient with you as you work to the best of your ability.

I would start to run / jog / walk / bike ride ......anything to get your wind back.

Way ahead of you on this...see Fitness thread in other area :sad:

Help me!

IMHO ---

1. Volunteer with a scholastic or independent (winter guard or drum corps) in your area.

2. Watch and study color guard in performance (videos are great for this) and practice.

3. Increase the focus on your physical fitness, gradually at first, and then...

4. Practice a movement art other than dance by yourself or with a group... pilates method, yoga, alexander method, horvath method (gyrotonic/kenisis), a martial art or anything similar.

5. Then, when you feel you are ready, take the plunge. There are always people around who are willing to help new people learn the craft. We all had to start somewhere, so this community is by and large an inclusive one.

EDIT You can place no. 5 at any point on the list... Now that I think about it... Just recommendations that come to mind.

Edited by wtxcg

4. Practice a movement art other than dance by yourself or with a group... pilates method, yoga, alexander method, horvath method (gyrotonic/kenisis), a martial art or anything similar.

I totally agree, any movement is better than none. If you're frightened of pink tights and black leotards, ballet classes might not be in your cards yet. I've heard WONDERFUL things about the NYCB Workout DVDs. Yoga and pilates will help you with balance, awareness, breath, and overall fitness.

In my experience, I've seen guards take dancers that have never spun before and teach them equipment from scratch. Movement at the higher levels is soooo important now. Just about everyone can toss a 6, so now what can you do under it? Its always about pushing the limits... Stay open minded and honest with yourself! Good luck!

I totally agree, any movement is better than none. If you're frightened of pink tights and black leotards, ballet classes might not be in your cards yet. I've heard WONDERFUL things about the NYCB Workout DVDs. Yoga and pilates will help you with balance, awareness, breath, and overall fitness.

In my experience, I've seen guards take dancers that have never spun before and teach them equipment from scratch. Movement at the higher levels is soooo important now. Just about everyone can toss a 6, so now what can you do under it? Its always about pushing the limits... Stay open minded and honest with yourself! Good luck!

I don't know any ballet class that requires men to wear leotards during class. They often wear jazz pants or cut off sweats. Maybe that's just in the modern ballet classes, though. IDK. In any case, remember that the basic instrument for any toss or movement of equipment is the body. the more comfortably you can move your body and control different muscle groups, the easier time you will have with equipment movement also (generally speaking, of course).

I don't know any ballet class that requires men to wear leotards during class. They often wear jazz pants or cut off sweats. Maybe that's just in the modern ballet classes, though. IDK. In any case, remember that the basic instrument for any toss or movement of equipment is the body. the more comfortably you can move your body and control different muscle groups, the easier time you will have with equipment movement also (generally speaking, of course).

HAHA... Well, maybe I should have said ballet slippers. I'm sorry, I hope you're not insulted Tansea! I very rarely read people's signatures. Guess I should now. :smile:

The point was, if you're not comfortable with going to a ballet class at first, check out that DVD! There's a wealth of knowledge out there on the net, in books, and on DVDs. Immerse yourself and just try it!