DCI.org open class exposure

I hope at some point in the near future, whether it be a year or so, they do decide to have the little profiles for the Open Class Corps even if it is top 12. I think they should do it for more than that but Top 12 is at least SOME exposure. 27 Open Class corps in addition to the 20 or so World Class would be quite a few. When they first did the DCI website over I was very excited to see video clips. If Open Class corps had short video clips it would probably open a lot of eyes. Jersey Surf, Spartans, East Coast Jazz [hopefully will rise from being inactive] and Teal Sound clips would all astound the typical World Class fans who never managed to see an Open Class performance. There is a lot of quality that isn't noticed in Open Class. There is also a lot of quality not recognized in lower tier World Class corps too, a matter of fact. Those clips for those corps may spark some interest in viewers to go do more research on Pacific Crest or Trooper etc. It would also do the same for Blue Devils B or Oregon Crusaders.

Of course it might also help if DCI revived the tradition of allowing the Champions from Open Class to perform an exhibition at Finals and appear on the field/video - I'm just sayin'

regards - Jim

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that the Division III and Division II champion corps were suppose to do that last year but the corps backed out because it would have been a super super rush to get to the Rose Bowl on time. By rush I mean..

Announcer Guy-->"and in 1st place in Division III with a score of blah blah blah: Memphis Sound!"

Instructors from the corps--> "Okay good job guys, no time to give you your medals right now or time to wait on this field to enjoy the victory, we got to beat traffic to the Rose Bowl. Giddyup!"

Now I'm sure the Rose Bowl wasn't super far from the Div II/III stadium but these kids probably hadn't had anything to eat or drink for the past several several hours since the show starts in the morning. So to pack up and go warm up for another performance on another field within about 2 hours would be pretty rushed. Maybe I don't know the whole situation and am exaggerating a bit. I don't know.

Maybe it will be a different situation though this year with Open Class and World Class Finals being at the same stadium? Anyone have any information on this maybe happening?

I heard that the Division III and Division II champion corps were suppose to do that last year but the corps backed out because it would have been a super super rush to get to the Rose Bowl on time.

Maybe it will be a different situation though this year with Open Class and World Class Finals being at the same stadium? Anyone have any information on this maybe happening?

It was answered here last year that this was NOT the case. The turf situation at the Rose Bowl prevented the two champs from the two divisions from being offered the chance to do an exhibition.

It would be very nice, however, if the Open Class champion was given the honor of opening the show on Saturday night.

i stand corrected. however... it still would have been a b**ch to get there in time probably on empty stomachs

I wouldn't really use that either because you can eat on the bus, usually. IMO

Nothin' more professional than getting a mustard stain on your uniform for a World Class Finals performance!

Ultimately I would think you would want this last performance to be your best. Think of the time and mental focus put in the morning rehearsal and building up to your own Finals show. You want to at least be able to focus for A FRACTION OF THAT TIME going to do your last gig of the season in front for thousands more people. You don't want to be rushed, cramming food and water down your throat on the bus only to get off 15 minutes later to go to warm ups. I know that part of drum corps is being ready for anything and taking all the bad things happening to you and turning them somehow into positives but we all know that in this situation, that is not the smart way to do things. You would never want to do that before prelims, semis, or finals, why do it for this last performance?

I know for a fact that there is plenty of time. After retreat we loaded the truck, hung around for 20 or so minutes. Then when the corps left my friend and her family took me out to eat in the opposite direction of where we were headed, probably 15 minutes away. We sat down and ate our meal, went back to the stadium to recover a lost item, drove to the rose bowl, found parking, and still made it in time to watch Spirit perform. My corps had been there for a long time, so maybe I'm wrong in thinking this but I believe that there is plenty of time.

With finals being held in the same venue, I don't even see this being a problem, but hey it wouldn't be drum corps without a surprise or two.

oh and muffins or snack food would be perfectly suitable, I'm not talking about hot dogs or something.

Edited by OCcontrakid

Heck, I'll even volunteer to write some of them. Anyone want to help?

Sign me up....although, frankly, each corps should have first dibs on how their history should be told. But if the corps can't/won't provide their own writeups, I'd be happy to pitch in.

To make it even easier, DCI could provide each corps with the HTML template and all they have to do is fill in the blanks. Send links or forward files.

Because I can see DCI saying they just don’t have the man/woman-power to undertake the addition of 27 profiles to the site.

Nothin' more professional than getting a mustard stain on your uniform for a World Class Finals performance!
oh and muffins or snack food would be perfectly suitable, I'm not talking about hot dogs or something.

well, some corps only serve up mustard muffins so whachya gonna say now?

By the way, lets say you spent an hour and 15 minutes eating. Take in account for the corps the travel time it takes to get there, about 15 minutes to unload and ready equipment, a typical warm up time which is about one hours worth, and then gate time. This all has to be about 15 minutes before Spirit went on too. Cutting it that close would be pretty darn stressing for staff and members alike. And if BOTH champions performed then Memphis Sound would have had to be at gate a half hour before Spirit.

We could probably keep arguing this but I will just stop my end of arguing here.

Mustard Muffins dude, mustard muffins!