Large Color Guards - They Do Make an Impression!

Thought this might be an interesting subject to post. So what was the largest Drum Corps or other competition guard that you were ever associated with or saw? If possible post pictures for everyone to see!!! Hope this subject is an interesting one for all of you??!!

I'll start off, with a photo of the 1968 Des Plaines Vanguard, competing at the World Open. Someone just made a comment on another post, regarding this photo, that they thought that this was an impressive looking guard to them, which prompted me to place this post. I know it was to me!! :glare::smile:

1968WOChampionDesPlainesVanguard.jpg

Edited by Vanguard Rich

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this technically applies, but I always thought what Madison did in 1980 -- putting the entire guard on rifle and the entire horn line on full-sized flagpoles for drum solo -- was a pretty BIG guard moment!

Not sure if this technically applies, but I always thought what Madison did in 1980 -- putting the entire guard on rifle and the entire horn line on full-sized flagpoles for drum solo -- was a pretty BIG guard moment!

That would count. I even think I remember seeing that somewhere. Now to find a phot of that event. Anybody out there have one or know where to find one???

Well, I saw a video of Arcadia High School in 2006 and they had 84 in the color guard - AWESOME! And one year JAmes Logan High SChool has 90+. Tate High School from FLorida marched something in the 50s or 60s in the late 1990s.

North Hardin High School (KY) had 60 in 1994. Broken ARrow had 64 in 2007.

Largest guard I have ever taught was FJ Reitz in 2004 - we had 23.

Well, I saw a video of Arcadia High School in 2006 and they had 84 in the color guard - AWESOME! And one year JAmes Logan High SChool has 90+. Tate High School from FLorida marched something in the 50s or 60s in the late 1990s.

North Hardin High School (KY) had 60 in 1994. Broken ARrow had 64 in 2007.

Largest guard I have ever taught was FJ Reitz in 2004 - we had 23.

You can add Duncanville, TX to that mix with 80+ in the past!! I've not seem them for a few years, though. Some South Texas guards can e big too...Weslaco has had near 70 recently.

Edited by ItsOnTheField

That would count. I even think I remember seeing that somewhere. Now to find a phot of that event. Anybody out there have one or know where to find one???

You know, that's strange. Of course, it's on the "Legacy" DVD as part of the telecast, but I can't recall ever seeing a photo of the entire corps in drum solo. Found one photo here: Flickr photo

You can see the horn line's flagpoles lying on the front sideline, but it's before they'd been picked up (I'm thinking this was the end of "Malaguena" and right before the start of the "New Country" drum solo).

Here are a couple of scans (sorry about the yucky quality; I can't seem to override the dot-matrix issues):

madisonscouts1.jpg

madisonscouts2.jpg

These are of the horn line picking up their flagpoles at the beginning of drum solo. Too bad we can't see the full effect, because it was pretty amazing.

This isn't drum corps, but of course there was that huge flag line that performed at the opening ceremonies of the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics: 1984 Olympics

Not the cleanest performance in the world . . . but I can't even imagine trying to clean this many flags! They create a lovely effect, and it's still quite thrilling to watch. :thumbup:

The USSBA All Star Color Guard (2004 I think?) in the Macy's Parade - 200 members I believe. Wasn't difficult, BUT lots of fun!!

This isn't drum corps, but of course there was that huge flag line that performed at the opening ceremonies of the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics: 1984 Olympics

Not the cleanest performance in the world . . . but I can't even imagine trying to clean this many flags! They create a lovely effect, and it's still quite thrilling to watch. :blink:

WOW---I had not seen this before---Quite impressive---I'm wondering how that whole thing came together ? Were the performers all local ? Who wrote that drill ?(It was quite involved) How much practice time ? Etc.,Etc.,Etc.

Since there were 288 performers involved,there MUST be someone on DCP that has some great stories to tell----even if it was 24 years ago !!!

You can add Duncanville, TX to that mix with 80+ in the past!! I've not seem them for a few years, though. Some South Texas guards can e big too...Weslaco has had near 70 recently.

I have a problem adding Duncanville. They make me angry as its the schools DANCE TEAM and they win marching guard awards for doing sweeps and their own version of drop spins with a flag. Judges seem to be more in awe of the numbers than the fact that not a single one of them can cover a crutch and hand placements are all different. Watch how they enter and exit the field. They never set anything....it's done for them by the dance staff. They pick up stuff in the middle of the performance. They do dance contests in the spring semester instead of winterguard.

Magnolia HS has had a 4 year streak with 50+ guard members on the field. A little off balance as the band is tiny.