Large Color Guards - They Do Make an Impression!

i think we are planning on 50 this year. makes try-outs a lot easier for us. i think there were just about 50 exactly at the clinic, so i think we're good.

it'll even out becuase we have a huge band.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a problem adding Duncanville. They make me angry as its the schools DANCE TEAM and they win marching guard awards for doing sweeps and their own version of drop spins with a flag. Judges seem to be more in awe of the numbers than the fact that not a single one of them can cover a crutch and hand placements are all different. Watch how they enter and exit the field. They never set anything....it's done for them by the dance staff. They pick up stuff in the middle of the performance. They do dance contests in the spring semester instead of winterguard.

Magnolia HS has had a 4 year streak with 50+ guard members on the field. A little off balance as the band is tiny.

To each his own, I suppose, but what is wrong with choosing to do dance contests in the winter instead of winter guard? Different does not make it wrong.

To each his own, I suppose, but what is wrong with choosing to do dance contests in the winter instead of winter guard? Different does not make it wrong.

And if the band only does UIL, it doesn't matter. Guard isn't factored in at all except for how they march. If they are doing those "Pageants", then it's all about how they look pretty much.

I just have a problem with a dance team winning guard awards when the technique isn't there.

Again, to each his own.

You will have to excuse my "ignorance" on the judging format of guard competitions, because of my being a brass "fanatic", but shouldn't there be specific guidelines in place for judging these types of competitions, like they do Corps? Sounds to me like either the judging "format" is amiss here, the judges don't know what they are seeing, or the judges are not following the prescribed judging format(s). Like playing brass instruments as an ensemble, if you don't play well as a group, you shouldn't be scoring well. Shouldn't the flagwork, etc. all look the same? If it isn't, then you shouldn't be scoring well. If this is not taken into account, is there then something amiss with either the judging format, or the judges themselves, not following the prescribed scoring format or rules? Just asking. :tongue:

Edited by Vanguard Rich

Unfortunately here in Texas there is not....other than BOA, and USSBA. Why? Colorguard is not judged seprately in UIL (the region, area and state run contest) Guards are bonus points under the visual caption. Its only the tip of the "UIL is evil" iceburg. I'm sure the Mikes will pipe up and explain more.

However, most festivals (pre UIL) bring in outside judges and actually have seperate guard awards....even though at shows like Sam Houston, they throw out the guard and percussion scores in the total average. Local shows ran by colleges and high school boosters sort of make up their own criteria. Some think that a dance only person is good enough to judge.

I've taught 40, which was a LOT...that's a lot to teach and a lot to clean.

Not to mention more than the usual "attitudes"...and not all of them good. :tongue:

I've taught 40, which was a LOT...that's a lot to teach and a lot to clean.

Not to mention more than the usual "attitudes"...and not all of them good. :tongue:

A good instructor can keep those attitudes in check no matter the size of the guard.