Best Ice Castles?

Poll  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Which DCI performance of "Through the Eyes of Love" from Ice Castles is your favorite?

• Cadets 1980
    • Madison Scouts 1980
    • Madison Scouts 1981
    • Madison Scouts 1982

Four words:

I hate Ice Castles

:rolleyes:

Nothing against any corps that played it, but when I think of the tune what springs to mind is Streisand screeching it out.

Wasnt it Melissa Manchester who recorded it?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Four words:

I hate Ice Castles

:rolleyes:

Nothing against any corps that played it, but when I think of the tune what springs to mind is Streisand screeching it out.

Yeah, me, too. The poll question contains an erroneous assumption. OP forgot the poll option:

"No Such Thing" or "Hooray, No DCI Corps Brought This One Back After It First Got Beaten Into The Ground". I see on corpsreps.com that Blessed Sac trotted it out for four straight years in the mid-90s. <shudder>.

For those of you who like it, and like what corps did with it, don't worry about it. It's much better to write a piece of music that some people love and other people hate than to write a piece of music that nobody gets excited about one way or the other. Even a strongly negative response is still a strong emotional response, and that's what drum corps music should create.

I think the best version was done by one of the Canadian all-girl corps in '80 ... Don't remember the name.

Was it Durham Girls from Ontario???

I had to go with 82.

Great solo work

The front had more depth of sound and clarity .... EPIC!

The ending wasn't as long ... but all the moving parts was sweet

Busting out the 75 championship flag at the end of 80 kinda killed it for me.

I did enjoy the visual build to the front better in 80 ... sweet double front pinwheel!

Ice Castles makes me flash on an older Lynn-Holly Johnson's embarrassing appearance trying to bone Roger Moore when he was well old enough to be her grandpa in a certain very bad bond flick.

Actually, "For Your Eyes Only" is one of my favorite Bond films, but yeah, the stuff with Lynn-Holly Johnson and Roger Moore was embarrassing. (And, what most people don't know is that the actress playing the main Bond girl in that film, Carole Bouquet, was only a few years older than Johnson.) How I wish Timothy Dalton had been cast then! But Cubby Broccoli just wasn't willing to let go of a known quantity.

"Ice Castles," the movie? Now, that's embarrassing! They just don't get any schmaltzier than that.

P.S. By the way, my vote goes to 1980 . . . though I agree with others that the 2006 alumni performance is one for the ages!

Edited by byline

In my opinion, one of the most beautiful charts in drum corps. I don't really care for Garfield's arrangement of it, but I love how the Scouts used it in the early '80s. I love 1980 for the insanely long held out chord at the end with the drum major taking a picture and unfurling the banner, and it's a longer arrangement than the others, but I think overall 1982 takes the cake. The company front in that show, I think, is the best out of the three, and the crowd goes berserk. Great french horn and soprano solos (aside from the frack), and awesome ending chord. How about you guys?

Also, some pictures to go along:

1980 (final chord)

53f32d98519a5acb8e2ef97eabcf5a03.png

1982 (company front)

2350884491_ba4606f0ce_o.png

and you couldn't have had a choice for none?

Wasnt it Melissa Manchester who recorded it?

Yes, Melissa Manchester's version was used in the film soundtrack. Not sure if Streisand ever covered it, as well.

Edited by byline

Was it Durham Girls from Ontario???

sombreros and serapes was all I remember.

Actually, "For Your Eyes Only" is one of my favorite Bond films, but yeah, the stuff with Lynn-Holly Johnson and Roger Moore was embarrassing. (And, what most people don't know is that the actress playing the main Bond girl in that film, Carole Bouquet, was only a few years older than Johnson.) How I wish Timothy Dalton had been cast then! But Cubby Broccoli just wasn't willing to let go of a known quantity.

"Ice Castles," the movie? Now, that's embarrassing! They just don't get any schmaltzier than that.

P.S. By the way, my vote goes to 1980 . . . though I agree with others that the 2006 alumni performance is one for the ages!

The real embarrassment was that Robby Benson ever had a career in the first place ... Oy!

The real embarrassment was that Robby Benson ever had a career in the first place ... Oy!

He was just the teen flavor of the month . . . one of many, as I recall. It's funny how every generation has them. However, he seems to have had a decent career as a director.