1975 DCI Open Class Finals

Due to a strange twist in my drum corps career I was in the stands for prelims and finals. I was blown away the whole time I was there. That may have been the best show of old time drum corps. Things changed rapidly from there on but that entire weekend was nothing less than fantastic. There was magic in that park as I found out myself in 76! Something drew out the best in all the corps, even those that didn't make finals. One of the few other times when it seemed that all the corps were flying was the 69 VFW also in Philly but across town. Must be something in the air!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Due to a strange twist in my drum corps career I was in the stands for prelims and finals. I was blown away the whole time I was there. That may have been the best show of old time drum corps. Things changed rapidly from there on but that entire weekend was nothing less than fantastic. There was magic in that park as I found out myself in 76! Something drew out the best in all the corps, even those that didn't make finals. One of the few other times when it seemed that all the corps were flying was the 69 VFW also in Philly but across town. Must be something in the air!

Hmm Steve...the I.C. Reveries of the monumental, historical, never done before or since sit down on the starting line. I wished I could have seen that.

Good post and thanks. I haven’t been to a drum corps contest in about 25 years but…

…we were in the stands finals 75. It’s hard to describe but the atmosphere was electrifying. I’d seen Fiddler on stage, however, the 75 SCV production was fabulous and the bottle dance was a wonderful, memorable moment for me.

Was guard but also dm for 6 years; it’s about the music, IMO. If the music consumed me at a symphony, for example, I’d close my eyes and slightly cup my hands over my ears to savour the sound. Drum corps is audio/visual but I would have briefly closed my eyes for Spirit’s opening number in 79 and for Madison’s closer in 75.

Being at my 1st DCI finals, I remember the Hawthorne sop playing Call of the Bulls.

At 13 years old, I didn't have a clue of what was going on with the whole overage deal, or why the Muchachos weren't performing.

The 2 corps I fell in love with that night were the Madison Scouts and Racine Kilties. I been a huge fan of both ever since.

I was at the DCI 1975 finals on the field as a rookie first year SCV snare. I had moved up to Santa Clara from southern California to be in SCV in October of 1974. Out of my four DCI finals as a performer, 1975 was my favorite. This was partly due to the fact that in 1973 and '74, I was still a kid living at home. When I moved up north, like many imports probably, I was on my own as a young and independent adult for the first time. In addition, it was a big adventure being exposed to all of the new to me northern California geography like the local redwood forests (Big Basin), Santa Cruz coast and mountains, Monterey, Carmel and San Francisco. I got around on a ten speed bike and later a Honda 100 motorcycle.

SCV 1975 was also a very mature group of SCV members. This was probably the age out year for many of the charter members. SCV was coming off of winning two DCI finals and had a made good run of it in 1972 as well. Marching with the drumline was a dream come true for me. These guys were fantastic players and people. The whole SCV organization was very homegrown at the time and family based.

My belated congratulations to everyone who competed that night. There were countless committed musical warriors on the field and Madison came out as the champions. My congrats to Madison. And thank-you to the fans there that night. Regardless of who your favorite was, thank-you for being there to hear us all perform. We played to excel, to entertain, to compete and for you.

Wow! 1975 may be the epitome of drum corps excellence. I did not make it to Philly, but was at the World Open, CYO, and numerous other shows. There were so many blow your face off corps that year !!!

And as far as the I.C. Reverie sit-down at VFW, please remember us for the dedication and commitment that those brave members displayed. The sit-down happened. The result was the formation of the 27th Lancers. 'nuff said.

Wow! 1975 may be the epitome of drum corps excellence. I did not make it to Philly, but was at the World Open, CYO, and numerous other shows. There were so many blow your face off corps that year !!!

And as far as the I.C. Reverie sit-down at VFW, please remember us for the dedication and commitment that those brave members displayed. The sit-down happened. The result was the formation of the 27th Lancers. 'nuff said.

sorry Jimmy nothing negative intended. Reveries were a great corps. sorry if I offended.

sorry Jimmy nothing negative intended. Reveries were a great corps. sorry if I offended.

No offense taken, George. What I meant was their were two different Reverie corps, the sit-down corps who became 2-7, and the feeder corps who kept the I.C. Reverie name. (They were two very separate corps). The feeder corps continued to suffer some of the backlash of the sit-down, but were proud to carry on the name. That feeder corps was one of the corps who merged to become NorthStar, although many of us went to 27th Lancers.

For the complete story of the sit-down, visit Mike Merritt's great website: www.thefog.com

Oh cool....so what did happen? :smile:

what happens on tour stays on tour .... I think that's in the bylaws somewhere :thumbdown:

78 and 75 are the two Nationals I wish I could have seen. To see SCV, Madison, and Muchachos in prelims in 75 would have been the coolest.