Revere Beach

Patsy truly spoke the truth - and, yes, her love was unconditional. Many the time she fixed my ascot and told me my spats were on backwards and my hat needed blocking. She taught me how to wear my uniform with pride and to "be" a 27th Lancer.

My heart will be with the entire Bonfiglio family and 27th Lancer family throughout this heart-wrenching time.

For those of you reading this thread who either didn't have the opportunity to meet Patsy, or only knew her through association, please understand something. She was not just the director's wife. She was our mom, our heart and soul, our protector and our prosecutor. She was dearly loved by any young man and woman who ever wore a Lancer uniform. She spoke her mind, and chided us in our moments of misjudgement, but ALWAYS with the greater good in mind. Patsy had five children to whom she always showed great love. My heart is with them today, as they must share that love with the hundreds of other children with whom she shared that love.

TJK has already told us that the door of 35 South Cambridge St. was never locked due to Patsy's declaration. I walked through that open door a thousand times for a thousand different reasons. There was love in that home. And comfort. And a place to vent frustrations, and hide from our own angry parents, and maybe, if you were lucky, to have a plate of pasta and meatballs. But mostly, it was a place of hope. A nerve center. The heart of the 27th Lancers.

It has been 22 years since the break-up of 2-7, and 14 years since the 1994 reunion corps. But not an ounce of sentiment has dissappated. The passion remains. Most of the alumni will tell you that the years they spent as a member of the 27th Lancers are the proudest years of their life. ALL will tell you that Mrs. Bonfiglio helped mold them into the man or woman they are today. Rest peacefully, Patsy, in the arms of the Lord.

My sincere condolences to the Bonfiglio family and all of the 27th Lancers around the world.

I always wanted to wear the Lancers uniform. Maybe some day I will. Until then, the Bonfiglios and all Lancers have my undying affection and respect.

Sally

Our most sincere condolences to the Bonfiglio and 27th Lancers families....

I didn't read this thread until after I posted this one:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=112623

Which one of you old Lancers is gonna go get me a roast beef today???

Kellys-Bldg2.jpg

I grew up in Revere! and Whenever the weather gets nice, no matter where I live I crave Kelly's.

When I visit my family in NH I always drive the hour and a half to the beach for some Kelly's. The one on Rt. 1 is not the same.

Anyone want to send me a large roastbeef with bbq sauce?

My wife (Donna, maiden name Coyle - Marched in Majestic Knights) also lived in Revere and Kelly's was where we went on our 2nd date. (she lived just a couple of blocks from Kelly's) When we went back to Lynn to visit my family not only did we have to pick up a sandwiches for us but for everyone else in my family...LOL (We used to get "Hey, your going to stop there before you come into Lynn anyways")

I grew up in Lynn and spent many Friday nights at the Beach and Kelley's. Have even showed up in a Limo!

My dad used to run the shooting gallery next to the flying horses for those of you who remember what Revere beach was like back in the day!

It was great to read all of this. So I guess when I am in MA this week it will be a tough choice between Kelley's and Kowloons.

Can't get either in lovely CT.

WoW.... I think I have run into, met on line and or heard from more people that also lived in Lynn MA since we moved out of Lynn (yep, another "survivor") than when I lived there... and that was for over 20+ yrs I lived in Lynn.

Last yr before going to BAC...

1968 Lynn Continentals, parade in Lynn. (might be the only time I'm the taller one in a photo)

1968lynncontinentalstonue2.th.jpg

Edited by TennTux

Which one of you old Lancers is gonna go get me a roast beef today???

Kellys-Bldg2.jpg

We'll be in Syracuse....who is taking us???

You know it's times like these when you see just how wonderful Ma B. was and the values this woman taught so many Lancers. The Lancer family truly stepped up to the plate. I had the privilege of staying with such a great Lancer this Mon-Weds in Revere. This Lancer really showed me some great Hospitality during this tough time for all of us. He opened up his home and his heart and I will forever be indebted to that. Now I believe I have another good friend for life. Even though we marched a decade apart and are a world apart that doesn't matter. That's one of the awesome things about drum corps family. I didn't think I was going to be able to afford to go to the funeral but I went online to priceline and negotiated an excellent price arrangement for the ticket. Plans changed at the last minute and this wonderful individual stepped up to the plate for me. That's what it's all about. That's what Ma taught us. To help each other out, that we are family, through good times and in bad. Through disagreements and agreements. Let the small stuff go.

I am so proud that I am a 27th Lancer alumni and was honored to have been taught such awesome ethics and values from such a great woman. I will truly miss her.

If anyone wants to assist us with pictures you may have of her please email me so we can put together a media tribute on the website. We'd appreciate it!

BTW I got to go to Revere Beach two times this week and was amazed at how cleaned up it was compared to when I was there years ago. I got my Kelly's roast beef. They asked "where are you from"? (My thick accent throws them off). I should've said "South Boston" :big hug: Anyway, everyone in Revere, still remembers the 27th Lancers. It's amazing.

One awesome thing happened, you know the Bonfiglios don't live at 35 South Cambridge, but during the funeral procession we drove right by it. I was told by the family that was not planned. (I beg to differ). I bet Ma B wanted to drive by there one last time! :)

Edited by Lancerlady
  • Like 1

Stephanie:

The family may not have planned it, but Ma B sure did! :big hug:

I'd love to hear more about your experiences. And I think it's wonderful that the Lancer family is truly a family.

A big hug to you,

Sally

We are not just a family in the ordinary sense of the word (and I'm sure this applies to most drum corps). We are a family that transcends time, distance and personality. We accept and embrace each other regardless of when one marched, whether or not we've met before, and share a common experience with each other. Mrs. B was a huge part of molding each and every one of us into the individual we are today. George, likewise. Denise B. continues in the activity as staff coordinator of the Santa Clara Vanguard - 27th's sister corps. We were hosted, and reciprocated hosting them in 1976 and 1977. One of the most respected drum corps ever, and now a 27th alumnus is part of that REVEREd organization, and has been for many years. 27th alumni have been active creative forces with The Cadets, Blue Knights, Star of Indiana, Crossmen, countless WGI color guards and many others. The love of the activity that Margaret (Patsy) Bonfiglio shared with us, lives on in our commitment of dedication.

Edited by A27Lancer