Anyone else see Cavaliers name on theater?

I'm watching "Sunday Morning" this morning and a story about the sexual revolution comes on. There is a small part about Anita Bryant and they show her getting a pie in the face at a press hearing. Then, the story flashes to a theater sign with name "Cavaliers Drum and Bugle Corps" on it.

Got my attention, to say the least. Anyone else catch that?

I didn't see it (in another room), but my daughter shouted out something about it when it came on. If Anita Bryant was in the clip, it must have been footage from the late 70s or early 80s. The corps had an appearance at Medinah Temple, same venue where she was holding some rally for her crusade for all-American values.

(There's some memory dispute as to whether the corps was hired for the event or whether they simply happened in the same venue in proximity to each other - I'd heard that there was, but that may have been institutional myth from the period for the sake of adding an ironic twist to an event.)

Edited by mobrien

It was 1977, my final year in the corps. We had to warm up on the sidewalk as protesters walked around us. The corps was scheduled to perform for the American Legion function well in advance of Bryant's "Save the Children" campaign that resulted in a vote in Dade Country, Florida that mobilized the protesters. We were the opening act for Bryant.

It was 1977, my final year in the corps. We had to warm up on the sidewalk as protesters walked around us. The corps was scheduled to perform for the American Legion function well in advance of Bryant's "Save the Children" campaign that resulted in a vote in Dade Country, Florida that mobilized the protesters. We were the opening act for Bryant.

Mike is correct, here's what I posted on Cavaliers.org today to a similar inquiry:

That was Medinah Temple downtown Chicago. We had been booked to play a standstill performance at some convention or something on stage at Medinah. Anita Bryant, who was a singer and spokesperson for Florida orange juice had just a few days before made a well publicized statement about the evils of homosexuality and when our buses got within about a block of the theater, the police stopped us because several thousand gay rights activists were demonstrating against Anita Bryant and the police had them across the street on the sidewalks surrounding the joint. Things were getting loud and potentially ugly. Remember, this was about 1977, so the country was very used to big loud protests from the civil rights movement and Vietnam War and they sometimes broke into riots. It proved uneventful, though, and we performed and left and never even saw her at all.

The corps was scheduled to perform for the American Legion function well in advance of Bryant's "Save the Children" campaign that resulted in a vote in Dade Country, Florida that mobilized the protesters. We were the opening act for Bryant.

Did you play Save the Children of Sanchez?