Local joints

Vickie and I were just talking about this place the other day...and the effect it had on so many drum corps people that marched in 77.

casabonita02.jpg

casabonita01.jpg

Oh wow, cliff divers!!! :tongue:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...so, I'm sitting in a bar in Waikiki in 1975, and I struck up a conversation with an affluent middle-aged tourist couple. I ask where they are from. Thunder Bay, Ontario. They ask where I'm from. I tell them Oswego, NY. Instantly, the guy points to me and yells, "RUDY'S!!!"

I almost fell off my chair! Mind you, this is a chance meeting of total strangers, approx. 7,000 miles from Rudy's, in Oswego!

They went on to tell me that they take their yacht through the Great Lakes each summer, and anytime they are near Oswego, they made it a point to go to this little place right on the lake's edge. Great fish sandwiches (haddock) dogs, fries, coneys, ice cream, assorted beverages.

...and sea gulls!!! (affectionately known in Oswego, as "flying rats.") They like to swoop down and steal food from the outdoor tables. As kids, we used to soak oyster crackers with tobasco sauce, and toss them to the seagulls. These stupid birds would eat them, puke, eat more, puke, etc.

Anyway, if you're ever in Oswego, go out past the college and have a bite to eat at Rudy's. :tongue:

(OTOH, Racine definitely has its share of dives.)

I've got a $50 gift certificate to The Chancery here in my hot little hand--you wouldn't call THAT place a dive, now would you?

Edited by uncle z

is the Venice still open?

Someone just mentioned that the V is no more ... Sad.

I can only think about all the good times, and dead brain cells, that happened at the Venice.

D'Angelo's was a darn good Italian place here in Lake Charles, but it burned down recently (moral of the story= clean your chimneys). They had the best calzones this side of the Styx. For burgers, I recommend Pappy's on Ryan St., the main drag here. Lunch of choice for a lot of people here. After Dinner, I take people to either Dagostino's or Rikenjak's. Both places always have local bands playing. and Rikenjak's is right in the middle of the Saturday night pub crawls here in LC. Good times

Vickie and I were just talking about this place the other day...and the effect it had on so many drum corps people that marched in 77.

casabonita02.jpg

I couldn't believe that at retreat for Drums along the Rockies the announcer told the crowd and corps that Casa Bonita would be open late. How big IS this frickin' place I thought. Then we got there. Most of us Bostonians had never eaten Mexican food before. We expected everything to be super (wicked) hot. Don't remember getting a beer, though. Hmmmmmm.

I hear, sadly, that the place has gone downhill. Or it was always downhill, and we were PB&J starved kids.

Someone just mentioned that the V is no more ... Sad.

I can only think about all the good times, and dead brain cells, that happened at the Venice.

Always had a good time....no a GREAT time....sad.

I couldn't believe that at retreat for Drums along the Rockies the announcer told the crowd and corps that Casa Bonita would be open late. How big IS this frickin' place I thought. Then we got there. Most of us Bostonians had never eaten Mexican food before. We expected everything to be super (wicked) hot. Don't remember getting a beer, though. Hmmmmmm.

I hear, sadly, that the place has gone downhill. Or it was always downhill, and we were PB&J starved kids.

The food did seem a lot better when I was in drum corps, but going there a few years back, it's a lot like Taco Bell food, but the Sopapillas are still awesome! It's entertaining and big.

Do they still take corps there when they're in Denver???

The food did seem a lot better when I was in drum corps, but going there a few years back, it's a lot like Taco Bell food, but the Sopapillas are still awesome! It's entertaining and big.

I've seen it mentioned on the "other" side. That's where I hear it went downhill - however these are kids in corps with food trucks who complain when the filet mignon is overcooked :thumbup:

I remember the little table flags you were supposed to raise if you wanted more. :smile: