Can a person make a living being a Guard Designer?

Say you are of the caliber, of Karl Lowe, Scott Chandler, or Tommy Keenum. Could you make a decent living designing shows, consulting, and etc., or do most guard designers have 2nd career?

I realize what one considers a decent living is subjective, but I am just curious.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know a guard instructor who's not even on that big of a level who makes a career at it. She works at 4-5 high schools and 4-5 winterguards...probably charging a 2-3 thousand each, that adds up quick.

which guards have a 401[k] retirement plan? :laughing:

I personally know of one designer who makes at least 80,000 a year designing for several schools and independent groups (guards only, as far as I know). I guess if you're willing to put in all the hours and travel, or to hire people to run things when you can't be there, and you have a reputation for doing a decent job, then it's possible.

In the right school system, it is possible to make a decent living off of one school.

Example, a school in Tennessee paid a yearly salary for their guard instructor - something like $20,000 a year I think.

I AM making a living and only have three gigs right now. My main gig: paid by the school district, second gig: paid by boosters, third: independent winterguard.....comes down to making around $30,000 a year. I'm fortunate enought too to have all the perks of insurance and benifits through the school district.

It's possible, but I definately paid my dues to get where I am. For years I was working for schools that only paid $1000 a season. This ment I had alot of second 'real' jobs. Also, you find out the hard way as a young designer who pays and who doesn't....and who just doesnt pay you period.

would a union representing designers working in the pageantry arts be feasable,beneficial or necsessary? :laughing:

afterall what they do is theater and we have unions for lighting designers,costumers,actors,stagehands,scenery.etc..

what about a talent agency that work's on the behalf of a designer,a william morris agent for pageantry arts! :lol:

Edited by dugg

I'd join!

Edited by Will