Mission Drums-Boston

With a new senior (all age) show being held in the Boston area on July 26, I am glad to see it taking on a great name from the past, Mission Drums. I've been doing a little research on the old Mission Drums and have come up with the winners of shows from 1958-1971. My question is- Was 1971 the last of these shows? If there were any more, who finished first?

Mission Drums Champs

1958 Princemen

1959 Reilly

1960 Princemen

1961 Hawthorne

1962 Hawthorne

1963 Hawthorne

1964 Hawthorne

1965 Hawthorne

1966 Hurricanes

1967 Hurricanes

1968 Sunrisers

1969 Skyliners

1970 Hurricanes

1971 Hawthorne

Trivia question- Mission drums was a senior show, but during one year, they had two juniors compete (in their own bracket) because two seniors had gone inactive. What year was this, and who was the junior winner?

With a new senior (all age) show being held in the Boston area on July 26, I am glad to see it taking on a great name from the past, Mission Drums. I've been doing a little research on the old Mission Drums and have come up with the winners of shows from 1958-1971. My question is- Was 1971 the last of these shows? If there were any more, who finished first?

Mission Drums Champs

1958 Princemen

1959 Reilly

1960 Princemen

1961 Hawthorne

1962 Hawthorne

1963 Hawthorne

1964 Hawthorne

1965 Hawthorne

1966 Hurricanes

1967 Hurricanes

1968 Sunrisers

1969 Skyliners

1970 Hurricanes

1971 Hawthorne

Trivia question- Mission drums was a senior show, but during one year, they had two juniors compete (in their own bracket) because two seniors had gone inactive. What year was this, and who was the junior winner?

Hmmm ... I know we (Sky) won in Boston in 72 but it may have been called the Bunker Hill Invitational by then ...

Andy

This has come up before, but I won't give away the answer. I remember asking someone how could the juniors compete against the seniors? They didn't really, but there's a good reason why one would think so if you weren't there.

Also, I believe only one of the corps that pulled out were inactive.

Edited by gsksun4

This has come up before, but I won't give away the answer. I remember asking someone how could the juniors compete against the seniors? They didn't really, but there's a good reason why one would think so if you weren't there.

Also, I believe only one of the corps that pulled out were inactive.

the year was 1970. the 2 juniors was boston crusaders ans 27th lancers and they did compete in the show against the seniors. i know that the brigs pluued out because they went in active and the other corps and i don't remember who.......bucs ........pulled out becauce the show got rained out on sat and it was held on sunday afternoon.

Mission Drums

June 28, 1970

Boston, Massachusetts

1 27th Lancers 74.95

2 Hurricanes 74.65

3 Boston Crusaders 73.30

4 Skyliners 72.75

5 Sunrisers (1.0 Penalty) 71.65

6 Caballeros 66.70

7 Rochester Crusaders 64.85

* Syracuse Brigadiers & Reading Buccaneers pulled out

27th and Boston were last-minute replacements

Edited by donincardona

Hmmm ... I know we (Sky) won in Boston in 72 but it may have been called the Bunker Hill Invitational by then ...

Andy

yeah andy you won that show but it was the bunker hill inv. the last mission drums run by the church was in 1971 and the cabs won it. WOW , i'm getting my memory back ........if only for tonight. HA

the year was 1970. the 2 juniors was boston crusaders ans 27th lancers and they did compete in the show against the seniors. i know that the brigs pluued out because they went in active and the other corps and i don't remember who.......bucs ........pulled out becauce the show got rained out on sat and it was held on sunday afternoon.

Mission Drums

June 28, 1970

Boston, Massachusetts

1 27th Lancers 74.95

2 Hurricanes 74.65

3 Boston Crusaders 73.30

4 Skyliners 72.75

5 Sunrisers (1.0 Penalty) 71.65

6 Caballeros 66.70

7 Rochester Crusaders 64.85

* Syracuse Brigadiers & Reading Buccaneers pulled out

27th and Boston were last-minute replacements

[size="3"]It's funny, I have the Official Program of that show, with the scores written in my own handwriting, but I don't remember being there. I guess much of the seventies were a blur. I have all the same scores as posted above, but for some reason I have just the two juniors competing against each other, and the five seniors competing against each other.

I recently learned that for just two seasons, the Eastern Mass Drum Corps Circuit had a senior corps division for finals.

I hope this year's Mission Drums is successful and continues on. It would be great to have an annual DCA show in the Boston Area.

[size="3"]It's funny, I have the Official Program of that show, with the scores written in my own handwriting, but I don't remember being there. I guess much of the seventies were a blur. I have all the same scores as posted above, but for some reason I have just the two juniors competing against each other, and the five seniors competing against each other.

I recently learned that for just two seasons, the Eastern Mass Drum Corps Circuit had a senior corps division for finals.

I hope this year's Mission Drums is successful and continues on. It would be great to have an annual DCA show in the Boston Area.

You memory (scores written separately) is probably correct ... the scores as announced were not co-mingled ... Jrs annonced first ... Seniors next ... I think there was an article that posted the scores as one to show that the Jrs were now competitive with the best of the Srs ... hard to believe but, when I was in Sky it was like being the the Majors and Jrs were Little League ...

:-)

Yes, That was a sad week for the Brigadiers. They folded a week before. If only the first show had been in Erie or Boston instead of Syracuse... it is my belief that the corps would have survived and drum corps history would have been changed forever.

We simply were NOT ready for the Syracuse show... we had a decent corps and a very good Kenny Norman book... but as it was a home show, the majority decision was to take our lumps and do the show... figuring we would come in last but not be humiliated... the judges chose otherwise... 35 final score... totally humiliating... no way were we that bad despite several fall aparts in the show...

during the week, (I was on vacation and had no idea that the will of the corps had been broken) they simply voted to disband rather than ever face that situation again. I showed up in Erie the following week (had been traveling on vacation) only to find out my corps no longer existed... Boston was the week after that...

We put it together fairly well for '71 and had a most enjoyable season with Dom Del Ra and Butch Anderson... but the nail was in the coffin and about 24 of us went to Crusaders for '72 and almost as many went to Sky along with Butch and Gebby (Fred Gebhardt)...