DCI Legacy CDs?

I was wondering if it is possible to purchase DCI CDs from before the year 1999. I can't seem to find the option on the DCI website. Are they discontinued for some reason?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The DVDs are the Legacy Series. The CDs were called the Audio Library. They came out before the Legacy Series did, which I remember because I wrote all the liner notes for both projects. I don't see them on DCI.org, either.

The DVDs are the Legacy Series. The CDs were called the Audio Library. They came out before the Legacy Series did, which I remember because I wrote all the liner notes for both projects. I don't see them on DCI.org, either.

This is unfortunate. I am looking to complete my DCI finals audio library--I have 179 finals tracks, most of which were downloaded through file-sharing services, purchased as APDs through DCI.org, or, in the case of 2006 and 2007, ripped from the CDs. I was considering buying the CDs from 1972-1998 and then 1999-2005, but it looks as if these CDs are no longer sold. The only legal method of obtaining this pre-1999 media is through the Fan Network, but at $2.49 a pop, the total comes to over $1000, way more than the actual Legacy DVD collection itself.

Hrothgar:

I have sent an e-mail to the director of merchandise for DCI to see what are your options. Due to the holiday, we might not get a response right away.

Drum corps CD sales have been declining over the last decade, much like in the rest of the music biz. DCI discontinued the Audio Library and older CDs some time ago, and I think they are moving in the direction of discontinuing all CDs, even of the current/last season, possibly as of this year (in other words, 2007 would have been the last year for CDs, though they have not made a formal announcement to that effect yet) or in the next year or two. The future is in downloads, even of old drum corps material, not in CDs. You can still find old DCI CDs on eBay for a low price, though the Audio Library CDs have been hard to find there and tend to bring strong bidding.

Drum corps CD sales have been declining over the last decade, much like in the rest of the music biz. DCI discontinued the Audio Library and older CDs some time ago, and I think they are moving in the direction of discontinuing all CDs, even of the current/last season, possibly as of this year (in other words, 2007 would have been the last year for CDs, though they have not made a formal announcement to that effect yet) or in the next year or two. The future is in downloads, even of old drum corps material, not in CDs. You can still find old DCI CDs on eBay for a low price, though the Audio Library CDs have been hard to find there and tend to bring strong bidding.

I have no problem with this. My music library is entirely digitally based, so I don't use the actual CDs except for ripping the tracks, so I'm all for eliminating this middle step. I just wish DCI would have a download option of every finals show from 1972-1999 at some reduced price, because I refuse to pay over $1000 for this material when I can get the Legacy DVD collection for basically half the price.

I have no problem with this. My music library is entirely digitally based, so I don't use the actual CDs except for ripping the tracks, so I'm all for eliminating this middle step. I just wish DCI would have a download option of every finals show from 1972-1999 at some reduced price, because I refuse to pay over $1000 for this material when I can get the Legacy DVD collection for basically half the price.

I decided to rip the audio to mp3 on my entire legacy dvd collection, I know that is not exactly "legal", but heck...I own them. It was the only way to get what I wanted.

On this topic, did DCI never release a 2004 CD? I know this was the first year for APDs, but every other year they also had CDs. ???

I've got the 2004 CD set. :)

I decided to rip the audio to mp3 on my entire legacy dvd collection, I know that is not exactly "legal", but heck...I own them. It was the only way to get what I wanted.

I was considering this, but I don't think the sound quality of the audio tracks on the DVDs matches the CDs or the APDs.