The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

Note to self,

Our Country is a lot worse off then I suspected. I mean, I new it was bad, but come on......is this sad excuse for the human race for real??? The insult to intelligence is deafening and sorrowfully pitiful at the same time. I don't know weather to laugh or cry. I guess ignorance is truly bliss when it's coming from the village idiot.

And I can't even believe that I just waisted a cogent thought on this.....this....thing!

Mad75

If having a difference of opinion is being the village idiot, then rest assured because your name is George Bush in my book.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

forum=stupid people fighting because they can't communicate well through words online...

this is supposed to be about our scouts here guys, let's not get into a yelling match about why some years were different. i find the 70's and 80's awesome in their own way. Same goes with the new scouts...

SO...i wonder how they did today assuming they competed tonight?

Can we please stop this pi$$ing contest and get back to the 2008 Scouts?

Seems to me the judges aren't liking the music for some reason... 6th in GE Music Rep, 6th across the board in Music (ensemble and percussion). 3rd in GE Visual (Blue Stars got 6th). 4th in Visual Ensemble (BK got 6th).

Comments, analysis?

Note to self,

Our Country is a lot worse off then I suspected. I mean, I new it was bad, but come on......is this sad excuse for the human race for real??? The insult to intelligence is deafening and sorrowfully pitiful at the same time. I don't know weather to laugh or cry. I guess ignorance is truly bliss when it's coming from the village idiot.

And I can't even believe that I just waisted a cogent thought on this.....this....thing!

Mad75

The kid's 19. I 'd cut him some slack. He used the analogy of a Man o' War with an Aircraft Carrier. But he's never been on either. He's just seen pictures of them, same as Drum Corps before he was born in 1988. At 19, he doesn't know what he doesn't know.

Seems to me the judges aren't liking the music for some reason... 6th in GE Music Rep, 6th across the board in Music (ensemble and percussion). 3rd in GE Visual (Blue Stars got 6th). 4th in Visual Ensemble (BK got 6th).

Comments, analysis?

i'll save my cynical old fart "'wearing a Madison uniform' deduction" comment until i see the show for myself, this weekend.

then you can call me a homer, and such, on a clear conscience ;)

i've mentioned the 'i can't wait' part, right?

oh. good. i thought so.

calm down, kids.

mynwa.

I disagree. I find 70s drum corps to be boring. Obnoxious brass playing, messy druming...

It's like comparing a Man O' War to a Aircraft Carrier. Things evolve. They become, wait for it, better.

70s drum corps was disgusting. I respect it for the traditions that it started and what it meant to those involved, but I don't want to watch it in Classic Countdown, and I find the arrogance on here towards newer marchers near toxic choking levels.

Wow...those are some pretty strong words there kid...

Yea...the 1976 Blue Devils & 1975 Madison Scouts...they were loaded with obnoxious brass playing & messy drumming. Sheesh...I suggest you listed to these shows...then listen to last years DCI champion. 1970's drum corps had mass appeal...modern drum corp is high brow dreck that has zero mass appeal.

As for drum lines, actually, 1970's drum lines were cleaner than todays...snare drums today with the table top drum heads are hardley audible now so fuzz & blops are buried.

The critics of modern drum corp never direct our criticism at todays marching members, but rather to the show designers & those writing the charts.

Bill,

You and I both know, as much as we adore the likes of Tom Straken, the truth is that in this day and age he wouldn't last one hour in drum corps. Thats because, within minuets, he'd find some poor sole to make an example of and then scream the most profane laden ti-raid that this poor fellas ever heard until he soiled himself, and then he'd get kicked in the "arse" a few times for good measure and then he'd make the kid do push-ups until his arms crumbled beneath him. Then after all that, the kid would get the same laundry list of &*%@$#*&*@% screamed at him again because he just missed his next set because he was to busy doing push-ups!!!! You just couldn't win with Mr. Straken.....but we loved him! You see, today, he wouldn't know how to be cerebral with these guys or hold hands and sign koom-bye-ya. A parent would call 911 and he'd be hauled off to prison for child endangerment. Man I miss that guy because he made me who I am today.

Mad75

Exactly. Well said.

Comments, analysis?

We are lucky to have some great competition in the shows so far. I think we can't measure the Scouts improvement just against the Blue Stars because they have improved a LOT as have the Scouts. These two corps are neck and neck but they are both moving much closer to corps that were pretty far ahead of them last year. The closest the Scouts came to 8th place BK last year was 6.15. They finished the season 8.6 behind them and now they are 1.2. The closest they were to the 10th place Colts in 2007 was 3.5 in June and finished the season 5.1 behind, now 1.2. That is great progress, lets anticipate more this season.