The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

So email Jeff and Dann and let them know what you think!

Somehow I think the ending is as yet incomplete from the guard standpoint. It's ending with the guard just standing there...

That's a no-go with the email recommendation. I know to well that there is a line. To his credit, Jeff S. maintains a very wide berth regarding his open-door policy on communication. But in this case, it's probably best for me to maintain the same stance that was adhered to when I was on the Board........Leave the creative stuff to the creative people, I.E., "know thy place"!

Thus I'll express my opinion and continue to discuss Madison topics via this venue and I'll also continue to hold out hope and trust in Madison's Staff (because it truly is a gifted group of leadership).

And yes, from what I'm hearing, the Guard has been relentless in their persuits and I'm very excited for the world to see the final result!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, yeah... give it a little time for the guard... they just relearned almost the entire show, and it will take some time to clean. They posted their highest scores to date tonight, and they'll be improving from here.

GO SCOUTS!!!!!

Every corps and every caption should score their highest score to date in their most recent show...

Dead on with the Air Blade and jacket comments. Unless these guys can achieve near perfection with the new Air Blades, they're just hurting themselves. The visual aspect of the Air Blade seems to greatly accentuate any timing miscues. The "Blades" really seem to have an exaggerated effect upon exposure. Secondly, many of us have been commenting on the drawback to the Guard removing their jackets for several weeks now. Regretfully, the staff must feel otherwise. Man, its a bad look......Very anti-climatic.

I neverr thought I would see the day when the Madison Scouts didn't have a kick ### rifle line...

Dead on with the Air Blade and jacket comments. Unless these guys can achieve near perfection with the new Air Blades, they're just hurting themselves. The visual aspect of the Air Blade seems to greatly accentuate any timing miscues. The "Blades" really seem to have an exaggerated effect upon exposure. Secondly, many of us have been commenting on the drawback to the Guard removing their jackets for several weeks now. Regretfully, the staff must feel otherwise. Man, its a bad look......Very anti-climatic.

You know, when I first saw the "jackets off" move, I thought of when BD did that during "When a Man Loves a Woman." Was the Scouts visual guy part of the BD organization back then? Perhaps the jackets thing is a matter of "What's old is new again."

Every corps and every caption should score their highest score to date in their most recent show...

Well....Yea.....Maybe in theory. But, have you ever heard of having a "flat performance"? Maybe you're referring to the scoring system from 30 years ago where it was much easier to see marked score improvement? Definitely not as possible in todays "slotting" environment.

Escept Madison is getting killed in percussion. Scores are not good.

I don't get that. Is it because the show as not clean? Because their book is tough. These guys are playing tough parts. IMHO, they should be in third behind Cavies and SCV (based on Denver), but maybe they had an off night.

I neverr thought I would see the day when the Madison Scouts didn't have a kick ### rifle line...

I'm guessing you haven't been paying very close attention for about the past 8-10 years or so regarding the status of Madison's Guard???

My wife whos is traveling with Madison as a cook implied to me that the Guard unis are changing. I don't know what that means, but we can all hope for silk shirts under the coats.

I don't get that. Is it because the show as not clean? Because their book is tough. These guys are playing tough parts. IMHO, they should be in third behind Cavies and SCV (based on Denver), but maybe they had an off night.

When I've spoke to Madison's Percussion Caption Head, Roger Carter, believe me, he was extremely frustrated because he doesn't get it either. And you're correct, their book is very hard, very well written, it's quite exposed and it's being performed by very talented young men. These guys can flat out throw down. The other glaring fact is that Roger Carter is known and renowned World wide as a master in his craft. Furthermore, he's surrounded by renowned guys (and gal) on his staff.

I asked Roger what the judges are telling him and he told me that's the frustrating aspect of it all, they don't give him any clear cut reasoning, or, they've actually told him that they don't care for his style. What the **** is that? Can you say "the jig is up"? When I heard that last comment, that really puts this whole subjective judging debacle in a brand new light!!!

I asked Roger what the judges are telling him and he told me that's the frustrating aspect of it all, they don't give him any clear cut reasoning, or, they've actually told him that they don't care for his style. What the **** is that?

I'm a horn guy and I couldn't accurately judge drums if you put a gun to my head. Unless the drumline is truly awful, I'm usually impressed. I've always thought that "snare drummers are cool" but I think this drumline is particularly impressive, both in terms of what they're playing and how they're playing it.

But what do I know? Nada. However, those in the know seem to feel pretty good about this drumline too -- I've talked briefly with both Roger Carter and John Grant -- if they scratch their heads over the scoring then it's hopeless for me to understand what is going on.