The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

When I've spoke to Madison's Percussion Caption Head, Roger Carter, believe me, he was extremely frustrated because he doesn't get it either. And you're correct, their book is very hard, very well written, it's quite exposed and it's being performed by very talented young men. These guys can flat out throw down. The other glaring fact is that Roger Carter is known and renowned World wide as a master in his craft. Furthermore, he's surrounded by renowned guys (and gal) on his staff.

I asked Roger what the judges are telling him and he told me that's the frustrating aspect of it all, they don't give him any clear cut reasoning, or, they've actually told him that they don't care for his style. What the **** is that? Can you say "the jig is up"? When I heard that last comment, that really puts this whole subjective judging debacle in a brand new light!!!

This really gets to me too. The part about the judges not liking his style?? I don't think that should fly. People at times have mentioned the "west coast" influence - I don't care. When Jeff Moore came to the Scouts with Lee Beddis in 1991 and eventually took over for Chris Thompson, wasn't there a big change in writing style then too?? The parts are solid - they are a lot harder than last year's parts - and they are being played pretty well. I haven't seen them live in several weeks, but some recent video clips I've seen are encouraging. I think having Roger in place and keeping him there is crucial to building up the section for the future. He has really good techs which is also key. I remember talking to a parent in '05 who told me how hard the snare tech was running the snares out on the field - (I can't remember, but I think he came from Cadets) when they had everydays in Whitewater - they were an awesome line. When there are the times that Roger can't be running things, I think Casey and the others are doing great. It wasn't all that long ago that the Bluecoats weren't exactly known for having top 6 caliber drumlines - then Mike McIntosh got there. Big names attract talent - I'm hoping that the improvement continues.

Speaking of throwing down - check out the Bluecoats

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rather than trying to figure out how to solve the issues causing the stat/score.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah....you're RIGHT!! lol :thumbup:

How the hell do you suppose WE figure out how to "solve the issues"....?? Or better yet, how do WE go about implementing our "plan" on how to "solve the issues"...?? lol

I'm sure that if I called up demanding changes based upon MY opinion, I'd carry about as much weight as you would if you got George Hopkins on the phone!

Well, then again...I'd probably carry a bit more weight considering I actually marched there. :smile:

Edited by BigBadMadMan

I remember talking to a parent in '05 who told me how hard the snare tech was running the snares out on the field - (I can't remember, but I think he came from Cadets) when they had everydays in Whitewater - they were an awesome line.

That would probably be Zack....I ran into him last summer at the Alpharetta, Ga show and he's with Lee at Crown now along with another tech from '05-'06. Another couple of cogs in the wheel of that great drum staff. Not to mention being a couple of pretty cool dudes. :thumbup:

Edited by BigBadMadMan

Yeah Scouts!!! Edged into 12th....keep movin'!!!

RIGHT ON SCOUTS!!!! Congrats on the move in the right direction.

it seems like after that bumpy start after their break, that now theyre surging up.

go scouts see you in 4 days.

oh and it seems like this thread keeps straying onto weird tangents loosely related to scouts, how about we start new threads for those topics and not use this one?

so finally dcp lets me put a post up, sorry off topic i know, but hey its a great feeling to finally be able to contribute to such a massive thread

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah....you're RIGHT!! lol :thumbup:

How the hell do you suppose WE figure out how to "solve the issues"....?? Or better yet, how do WE go about implementing our "plan" on how to "solve the issues"...?? lol

I'm sure that if I called up demanding changes based upon MY opinion, I'd carry about as much weight as you would if you got George Hopkins on the phone!

Well, then again...I'd probably carry a bit more weight considering I actually marched there. :thumbup:

Yay! Good for you! Here is your pat on the back and cookie. Keep on griping and throwing out the theories. That seems to be getting you somewhere.

Madison has one of the most difficult shows on the field this season. I'm a true believer that if they can clean this monster and perform it with that famous Madison finesse and then receive adequate appreciation from the judging community, this is without a doubt a top 12 program! (I'm a little biased and believe its realistically a middle of the pack program)

Great job men!

Keep cleaning and believing!