Why are some jouralists such morons?

Seriously people, don't try to comment on things you don't know about and read too much into it.

Um, I do know what I'm talking about. I've worked in journalism going on 30 years now.

While I may not know the specifics of your situation, what I can say is that other than special projects stories (which are basically advertising features) I've written over the past four years, I never, ever submitted my stories to anyone for advance approval. They went straight from my computer to my editors. I'm certainly no Woodward or Bernstein, but I -- and my fellow reporters -- covered some pretty hairy topics . . . including an extensive series on corruption within the police department. (And if that isn't a potentially litigious can of worms for a newspaper, I don't know what is.) Not one of us ever submitted any story to any source for advance approval, for any reason. If we had, we'd have been fired on the spot. As I noted earlier, if there were concerns about lawsuits, the story was sent to our legal department. Not to the source(s).

That's what I know, and that's what I can talk about. That's not "reading too much into it"; that's just sharing my point of view based on my own experience. I'm sure you don't agree, and that's fine; that's what discussion is all about, and we're not all going to agree. Doesn't mean we shouldn't share our opinions.

Edited by byline

I agree with that. I really think that the term should be Drum Corps. The "& Bugle" part has vanished from the field and it should vanish from the names as well.

I'm not sure I would like to hear the Cavaliers Brass Band or the Cadets Brass Band, though.

Back on topic...As an old-timer, I always felt it was an insult to call a "corps" a "band". I always made sure that I corrected the "error". It's probably just an ego thing.

When we correct someone for using the B-word, especially when we do it with a hint of derision, what impression does that person get of the activity and the people in it?

Band.

Band Band Band Band Band.

It's easier to describe it, and to be completely honest, to get worked up over it is somewhat stupid. There are far more dire things happening in the world to get your blood pressure elevated about as opposed to the use of the word "band" instead of "drum corps," or any form of semantics for that matter.

Edited by Carl306

:tongue: Hey Hound, thanks for pointing that out. I totally missed that one. I really fat-fingered it. :rock:

Heh heh, it's all good :rock:

Wrong. The term "corps" is a military denotation referring to a particuliar unit attached to a higher entity, as the Marine "Corps" is connected to the Navy, and many corps were once connected to AL/VFW posts. Even though it's no longer technically accurate, we still use the term "corps".

get over yourself. it's band. it's just a more specialized, highly intensive form of band. ya bunch of myrons.

Band.

Band Band Band Band Band.

It's easier to describe it, and to be completely honest, to get worked up over it is somewhat stupid. There are far more dire things happening in the world to get your blood pressure elevated about as opposed to the use of the word "band" instead of "drum corps," or any form of semantics for that matter.

get over yourself. it's band. it's just a more specialized, highly intensive form of band. ya bunch of myrons.

An extremely unconvincing argument. We might as well call marching bands "orchestras". But yeah, I'll swallow my arrogant Drum Corps pride and get over it.............NOT!

When we correct someone for using the B-word, especially when we do it with a hint of derision, what impression does that person get of the activity and the people in it?

Actually, I consider correcting for using the wrong term no different than correcting someone who mispronounces my name. Its a very personal and specific thing.

Its the manner you use in correcting them. If you get all high and might and act insulted and say Hey, thats DRUM CORPS, not BAND!, you make enemies. If, however, you smile and say "Actually we're a drum and bugle corps. Calling us a band is a common mistake." and then move on, you have educated someone without making them feel stupid, and maybe made a fan in the process.

Its the manner you use in correcting them. If you get all high and might and act insulted and say Hey, thats DRUM CORPS, not BAND!, you make enemies. If, however, you smile and say "Actually we're a drum and bugle corps. Calling us a band is a common mistake." and then move on, you have educated someone without making them feel stupid, and maybe made a fan in the process.

Sounds like talking to my in-laws as they knew nothing about drum corps. Now all they know is I'm in one, I'm outta town on Summer holidays and that's about it. :tongue:

Seriously my response to "Oh, you're a band" is something like "Yeah, kinda... but.." followed by description of differences with reasons why thrown in. Amount of detail given is determined if the other person really gives a rats rear-hindquarter....

Quicky way I use to describe a D&BC vs a MB is "We use horns and drums only. Like a pipe only uses bagpipes and drums or the Mummers use...".

Edited by JimF-3rdBari