4th Annual Texas Drum Corps Preview

We regret not being at the Texas Drum Corps Preview in 2008 but look forward to a return next year for our 10th anniversary.

We know it will be a very successful event and look forward to next year!

As always special thanks go out to Frontier, Gulf Coast Sound, and Austin Stars for thier continued support of the TDCP and all the hard work at organizing and hosting this event.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear from you officially, Revo! I look forward to seeing you on the field this summer!

Speaking of summer, Saturday's preview performance at the state capitol is going to be in about 100 degree weather. I know it's old hat for all who have marched or are marching drum corps summers in the US, but I think it's awfully early for us to be having triple digit weather here in Austin. Ugh. But I'm still going!

Anyone going-bring lots of water and some shade!

I know GCS will be playing in the nearby park by about noon, and other corps usually show up throughout the day. It is a great place to hang out with lots of trees, restrooms (well, they are not great, but they do exist), and drinking fountains. Parking is free downtown in nearby ramps---Come hang out for a day!!!

If you cannot make it, I suspect there will be videos posted somewhere on the web within about 24 hours. You can find last years events on YouTube, among other places.

TODAY TODAY TODAY TODAY TODAY!!!!!

It is FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check it out!!!!!!!

Here's my brief review of the Texas Drum Corps Preview (standstill concert on the Texas capitol steps). Honestly I can't remember everything every corps did because my brain had been fried by a long afternoon in blazing heat with my kiddo. But, I'll do my best:

World Gone Mad: self-described as "lazy," this corps did a tribute to Kiss. Fun music, great attitude. Very few in the audience got the inside jokes, specifically the trashed clarinet that they encased in concrete as a gag that they called the "Hopkins Chime." I think I was the only one who laughed out loud.

Austin Stars: right now they need drummers, but the small hornline is quite good. They did Hollywood music, I think? (see aforementioned fried brain)

Frontier: very ambitious hornline book, drumline needs lots of work but they're trying; had a couple of really good screamer sops

Gulf Coast Sound: here is where things got a little closer to the kind of drum corps most people expect to hear. Good book of old rock tunes (I remember Barracuda, an amazingly good arrangement of a mediocre Journey tune called "Open Arms" and a really cool presentation of Edgar Winters Group's instrumental rock anthem "Frankenstein"), more good screamers and also good solos in the bari and mello sections, mature drums and pit (still lots of dirt but the book is there), guard work is minimal (small as well) but my daughter loved the flowing blue flags in "Open Arms."

And now, the review most everyone on this section of DCP is waiting for - the Crossmen:

My first impression was that they look a little younger than I expected, but then I remembered that everyone I had seen to that point were.... well, older.... and I'm approaching 42 so a lot of these kids are going to look "young" to me. The guard did not perform (waah! I really wanted to see their work and so did my daughter). The horn book is solid - I'm a little worried about the demand being a little under-shot. But I didn't see it on the field in motion and I think I may have missed some of the more intricate parts due to the acoustics. It's early in the season, so there were some minor timing issues and I expect there are a few in the hornline who will be working toward more maturity in their tone. (I heard a few mid and mid-low horns with a little "breathy" sound) Other than that the horn book is really solid and very enjoyable. The drumline is rockin', as expected. They were behind the horns, so I didn't get a visual read of them at all. Grrr! Pit is working hard. The whole musical package is sweet, and I'm expecting many will love this show. (for those that don't recall the concept, it's "The Planets Meets Crossmen.")

Thanks to all of the corps who came out to play for us. I look forward to coming out again next year!

I got to see the TDCP from both angles yesterday - my quick thoughts. First off, the temperature was in the high 90's, so the event was moved from the picturesque front steps of the Capitol (right in the sunlight) over to the shady East side. The crowd was small for the TDCP - about 40% of what it was last year. As for the corps -

World Gone Mad - the greatest performance in the history of civilization. The earth shook and the heavens rolled. Okay, okay - I play drums for them. :) From the front, the crowd got the jokes (Terri - they really did! :) ), and we served our purpose as a warm-up act. (With only 4 hours / month of rehearsal time, we're not going to be putting on an 11 minute show quite yet!)

Austin Stars - had to bring in a drummer on short notice, but he did a good job of keeping an underbeat. Brass had a *great* warm sound. The ballad stood out as the highlight of the 3 songs so far, especially with the giant side of the Capitol building providing a reflective surface. Oh, and they debuted their uniforms, which look *quite* nice.

Frontier - looked much smaller (and younger) than seasons past. They have a *really* ambitious show this year with some nice classic drum-corps hits. Ride (the opener) was by far the strongest piece, I'm guessing that the other songs will get their attention as the summer goes on. The uniforms need fittings, but that also might have been more of a last-minute decision to use them.

Gulf Coast Sound - GCS has a great, *great* show this year, of classic rock / pop tunes. AC/DC, Journey, Heart, Edgar Winter Band. They play it very aggressively, and the drumline in particular was a joy to watch - their tenor player is a friggin' stud.

Crossmen - uniforms are totally black and white this year - no red. Shoulder caps and maltese cross are white - the rest of the uni is black. Drums are a gray to black fade. Guard didn't perform - they just sat down and watched with the rest of us. Their show is... hard to describe. I can sum it up like this - it is *not* a show you'll go home humming, but you *will* recognize and appreciate how The Planets is broken up and remixed throughout. It's a very similar show to last year, really, but it has the advantage of having a much more recognizable set of tunes worked in. There's a great park-and-blow segment in the ballad that's going to bring down houses. Overall, the show is going to rest on their visual package. I would say they *play* like a corps that could contend for a Finals spot, and the show has enough layers to be interesting to judges, but without seeing it on the field yet, I can't really say for sure.

The combined hornlines played Texas, Our Texas and America the Beautiful, and then everyone ran for air conditioning.

Mike

That was a blast. I love starting our season with the Preview. It just feels right.

And... what a way to start the year.

My thanks to everyone for the positive reviews.

Edited by ContraMarine272

######................wish I was there!!

GRRRRRRR!!!

Ain't easy marching in Texas from Califor-ny-ay, you know!

See youse guys at Brass Hysteria,

Thanks for posting the video.

I can't wait to go to Toledo now to see Crossmen's first show. We're taking the 8-hour drive there on Friday night.

Anyone want to pitch in for gas?