Bridgemen Snare Drummers Faking it?

Rick,

Do you know Glenn Fugget and Shelly Irvine?

Sure do!

Here's one of the 85 Lancer line, with Shelly on tenors:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickcogley/174364507/

Glenn F with his hand on the chimes. He was one of the instructors in 27th in 85:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickcogley/174364784/

Glenn F 2nd from right in Defenders snareline in 82:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickcogley/174365702/

How do you know them?

Regards

Rick

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure do!

Here's one of the 85 Lancer line, with Shelly on tenors:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickcogley/174364507/

Glenn F with his hand on the chimes. He was one of the instructors in 27th in 85:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickcogley/174364784/

Glenn F 2nd from right in Defenders snareline in 82:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickcogley/174365702/

How do you know them?

Regards

Rick

Great pictures. I've never seen a picture Glenn or Shelly in the lines they marched. Glenn went to my high school. He's four years older than me and I took private lessons from him until after my eight grade year when he went away to college. My sister graduated high school with him. Didn't he also march Vagabonds?

Shelly taught the Bluecoats pit in '88, my ageout year. Oddly enough he is from the town right next to where I'm from, but I never knew him then. And apparently he has moved back to the area (I live here again too). I got his cell numbner from a guy last weekend and I'll have to give him a call. Shelly used to tell us good stories about being in 27. Wasn't there another tenor player named Jaques (sp?). Shelly used to tell us about how he would just brutilize Sheely (in a good way). And he told us about the dungeon where you guys used to stay.

Both great guys.

Can DCP pull this thread?

To call someone's playing into question, then calling them out by name...how can that be considered productive conversation?

"Faking it" implies either a lack of ability or cheating. And now we debate the merits of a player who could probably put the OP in his back pocket and have room for some loose change.

Either way, it isn't good form to single out a drum corps brother this way.

Besides, good training might dictate that, if you have a choice between fuzzing the beats or not, hanging out just might be the right choice.

Bottom line: this thread sucks. :lol:

Okay, IF this did indeed happen (I was told it was by someone who was there, and if I could, I'd get this person to admit it. But who would admit something like that on a public forum?), I don't think there is really anything wrong with it.

This is the way I could see it coming about: A 14 year old kid tries out for the snare line and he's incredible. There's only one thing he's having a little trouble with. The staff decides this guy is really, really good and we can't let him go just because of this one thing. We'll work with him until he gets it. Time goes on and just maybe things don't go as planned, so the staff decides to let the fake it until he can get it. Nothing wrong with that. And I also said that maybe it only happened early in the year.

I'm sure he could put me in his back pocket and plenty of room for a lot more than spare change. I'm not debating that.

Your sentence "Besides, good training might dictate that, if you have a choice between fuzzing the beats or not, hanging out just might be the right choice." seems to back up what I am saying. If you can't play the part without fuzzing or ticking, just hang out (fake it).

However, you are correct that I shouldn't have called anyone out. That was not my intent and I apoligize for that. My original intent was to ask about the "illusion" I was obviously seeing on my crappy home monitor that looked like what it wasn't.

Edited by sday88

Great pictures. I've never seen a picture Glenn or Shelly in the lines they marched. Glenn went to my high school. He's four years older than me and I took private lessons from him until after my eight grade year when he went away to college. My sister graduated high school with him. Didn't he also march Vagabonds?

Shelly taught the Bluecoats pit in '88, my ageout year. Oddly enough he is from the town right next to where I'm from, but I never knew him then. And apparently he has moved back to the area (I live here again too). I got his cell numbner from a guy last weekend and I'll have to give him a call. Shelly used to tell us good stories about being in 27. Wasn't there another tenor player named Jaques (sp?). Shelly used to tell us about how he would just brutilize Sheely (in a good way). And he told us about the dungeon where you guys used to stay.

Both great guys.

Yeah, I met Glenn at first when I started in Drum Corps in Vagabonds in 1981 - he's an excellent player. Rich Zamperini who's on tenors in the 85 rehearsal photo, Glenn, another snare Tom Ray and me, were all in Vagabonds that year. We had a decent little line in 81 and were taught by Scott Koter, who had been at Cavaliers for quite a while, recently. Not sure now. In 82, we had a great winter, got new drums, and had a huge drumline with 10, 4, and 6 or something huge like that, and then POW we folded. So, we all went up to Defenders, then THEY folded after the 82 season. Wow, I feel like Hurley in LOST.

Anyway, yes, Jacques it is indeed, he was from French Canada - great guy and player, and tough as nails. Shelly had a hard, hard, tenor line to fit into, and he is next to Billy Carnes in the 85 rehearsal picture. Billy was a monster player. I would say "brutalized" is an apt description! :-)

The "dungeon" was the basement of the corps hall, and we called it Scuttlebutt Lodge. Here's a photo of it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickcogley/174364977/

They were totally good times.

Cheers,

Rick

Yeah, I met Glenn at first when I started in Drum Corps in Vagabonds in 1981 - he's an excellent player. Rich Zamperini who's on tenors in the 85 rehearsal photo, Glenn, another snare Tom Ray and me, were all in Vagabonds that year. We had a decent little line in 81 and were taught by Scott Koter, who had been at Cavaliers for quite a while, recently. Not sure now. In 82, we had a great winter, got new drums, and had a huge drumline with 10, 4, and 6 or something huge like that, and then POW we folded. So, we all went up to Defenders, then THEY folded after the 82 season. Wow, I feel like Hurley in LOST.

Anyway, yes, Jacques it is indeed, he was from French Canada - great guy and player, and tough as nails. Shelly had a hard, hard, tenor line to fit into, and he is next to Billy Carnes in the 85 rehearsal picture. Billy was a monster player. I would say "brutalized" is an apt description! :-)

The "dungeon" was the basement of the corps hall, and we called it Scuttlebutt Lodge. Here's a photo of it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickcogley/174364977/

They were totally good times.

Cheers,

Rick

Scott Koter also taught my high school line. Although his last year was the year before I marched. But Glenn took over the line that next year. We were a smoking high school line, all thanks to Glenn. In 1982 we beat Norwin (they won Grand Nationals that year) in drums early in the season. At the MBA (that what it was called at the time) regional in Pittsburgh they had watered their book and we got second to them in drums at finals, I think by a tenth. Scott has also been with Bluecoats recently. Not sure if he is now or not.

Why go to Star from Bridgemen?

Part of my job as DM was attending all the Board meetings and hearing the full details of the corps' finances, among other things. They were brutal. We ran all of 84 on essentially no money, and only the kindness of a few other corps, and some private donations from parents and fans got us through the 84 season. It was my belief that there was no way in heck that the Bridgemen would field a corps in 85. (If you remember, the corps did a field a show in 85 but it was a sadly diminished product. Several people I cared deeply about did stay and try to make this work, but they were fighting an absolutely exhausting battle. Most people I knew either aged out or went elsewhere.)

Several staff members that I had known for years from the Bridgemen and Garfield were headed out to try to start this corps in Bloomington. Having done the Bloomington show, I knew this was an area absolutely ripe for drum corps, and thought this was a great idea. I expressed some interest in going, and the folks in Bloomington expressed an interest in having me. I was invited out, and decided to go see for myself if this was a viable opportunity. Starting a drum corps that had the financial means to offer a wonderful opportunity for thousands of kids for many years to come seemed like a very good way to wrap up an 8 year marching career. I had no expectations that we'd make Finals (initially), but I thought it was a great chance for me to add some of my experience to a pool of very talented musicians, most of whom had no drum corps experience. A small but hearty bunch of veterans from other corps like Troopers, Phantom, Cavies, Crossmen, 27th, and a good sized contingent from Pride of Cincy helped to lend a much-needed veteran mindset to this bunch of rookies and played key roles in the corps' inital success.

Many of my friends (and my sister) were in Garfield, but that just didn't seem like a good fit for me. Again, you need to remember that during the Fall and Winter of 84/85 the expectation was that there would not be a Bridgemen corps on the field in 85 and I very much wanted to march my ageout year. Somehow helping to build something new was a bit more appealing to me personally than just jumping in the line of an established corps for one year only.

Karen

Karen,

Wasn't Larry Rebillot also DM for a couple of years? What years was he there? He came to you from Bluecoats and is still VERY active in our alumni association.

Karen,

Wasn't Larry Rebillot also DM for a couple of years? What years was he there? He came to you from Bluecoats and is still VERY active in our alumni association.

Larry was DM in 82 and 83, so 83 was the year we worked together. Great guy! Glad to hear he's still involved with the 'Coats. Lots of great ideas and terrific energy.

KS