Bridgemen Snare Drummers Faking it?

Okay, another Bridgemen observation/question. I was watching the '83 show. The guy on the right end of the snare line was named Larry, I believe, and was like 14 at the time and later went on to march Star (correct me if I'm wrong). I had heard that during the left hand sixteenth notes during the drum solo he faked it because he couldn't keep up. I'm not knocking the guy, just what I heard. He was 14 after all. Anywho, while watching the show, I noticed that it looked as though he was faking a few other parts also. And to top it off, it looked like the guy to his right was also doing it a couple of times. And one time it looked as though the three guys on the right end were faking it. Is any of this true? This is just an observation that I'm curious about. That '83 drum solo is my favorite of all time. Can anyone shed some light on this? Maybe it was just an illusion as I was watching.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to say if you're right or not....I think Larry was on the end (side 2) and the camera during the 16th note sequence was on side 1...Larry doesn;t get any significant camera time until the roto tom part near the end....didn't look faked then.

And frankly...14 years old or not, he was in the defending champ line...I can't really see DeLucia allowing anyone to fake it at that level.

but yeah...let's get some actual Bmen in on this...

I dont think he'd have made that snare line if he was faking anything.

I don't think so. He showed me it when he came to march in 27th later.

Cheers,

Hard to say if you're right or not....I think Larry was on the end (side 2) and the camera during the 16th note sequence was on side 1...Larry doesn;t get any significant camera time until the roto tom part near the end....didn't look faked then.

And frankly...14 years old or not, he was in the defending champ line...I can't really see DeLucia allowing anyone to fake it at that level.

but yeah...let's get some actual Bmen in on this...

Yeah, I realize you can't see him during the sixteenth notes. Watch the entire show. They show his end of the snare line several times and it really looks like there is some faking going on (also with the other two guys).

From what I was told, Larry was so good at his age that the Bridgemen didn't want to let him go so they "allowed" him to fake the sixteenths. I just happened to notice the other sections and other members. I marched under a few ex Bridgemen drum staff/members. Bob Dubinski wrote our book in '86 & '87; Jim Dugan was, well I'm not really sure exactly what he was but he did wonders with us all three of my years; and Jay Webb was our caption head/tenor instructor in '88. We most likely heard from one of them. Or maybe I just imagined the whole thing. :blink: Jim used to post on here, maybe he's still around.

Also note that I'm not putting anyone down either, I'm just curious.

... (correct me if I'm wrong) ...

Okay, you're wrong. :blink:

Okay, you're wrong. :blink:

Not exactly a 'correction' there, Einstein.

I was in Miami in 1983 working the week for DCI. They would occasionally let me have some time off, which I filled that time with taking pictures from the sidelines. I do not pretend to be a drum expert but there was indeed no faking going on. BTW-it made for a great picture when they were blindfolded!

Okay, everyone just calm down. Jeez Louise. After watching the show again on a bigger, better, clearer screen at work, I do not see anything that looks like faking. Like I said in my original post, maybe it was just an illusion. I think what I was seeing was it looks like there is a black strip of tape just up from the bead of the stick which made it look like the bead which wasn't hitting the head. Although, I do stand behind what I was told about the sixteenth notes in the drum solo. Maybe that was early in the season and by finals it was played. Maybe I was lied to. I can't imagine anyone would admit to it in public though. Sorry to get everyone's panties in a bunch. :blink: I'll go crawl back under my rock.