Urgent Need for Guard members

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read on the trooper web page that this thread has resulted in inquiries to the corps about guard spots. That is excellent news and a great use of this forum.

Bumpity bump, with info:

Go to the Troopers website for more info, or:

Any interested student should email Troopers director Fred Morris at f.morris@troopersdrumcorps.org, or call the corps offices: 307-472-2141.

If for some reason you don't get a response immediately, let me know and I'll do what I can to put a person on the phone with you ASAP.

My question is how the Troopers got caught short handed with guard members in the first place. That's usually the easiest segment for a corps to recruit. Just wondering.

My question is how the Troopers got caught short handed with guard members in the first place. That's usually the easiest segment for a corps to recruit. Just wondering.

Decision to choose a new staff may have been late, and at any rate it seemed to upset the guard vets- I think only two returned. There are no winterguards that compete anywhere near Casper, so that doesn't help either. Troopers haven't had an easy time recently filling the guard- I think last season they ended up just taking two spots out instead of filling them, but I could be wrong on that.

Edited by drumelloboe

For those of you who thought you missed out on the season this is a wonderful opportunity to catch up with the pack and march with the Troop. Go F-Troop!!!

Decision to choose a new staff may have been late, and at any rate it seemed to upset the guard vets- I think only two returned. There are no winterguards that compete anywhere near Casper, so that doesn't help either. Troopers haven't had an easy time recently filling the guard- I think last season they ended up just taking two spots out instead of filling them, but I could be wrong on that.

According to a source I know close to the corps the problem came from the previous staff not getting the recruitment job done; and most of the vets took off with them when they left (let go?). This is a from-scratch guard, basically; and I suspect (highly) that the recruitment mode has, and will, change. For the better.

The current staff IS top-notch; and I suspect they will use the same model that filled both the brass and percussion sections with quality and numbers. I don' think Fred will put up with anything less.

The current staff IS top-notch; and I suspect they will use the same model that filled both the brass and percussion sections with quality and numbers. I don' think Fred will put up with anything less.

I see this as a one-year issue. Take a good hard look at this season's guard and then take a look at the guard from just about any other year with the Troopers. The differences are immediately noticeable. (and this is in no way a dig at our former guard staffers or kids. It's just the reality that we've limped along in this area for too long and it was time to take this bull by the horns and wrestle it into submission.)

I'm still hoping that they can get the 20 members that they want.

Which brings up the question: Do you really need 40 guard members? Couldn't 20 members be just as effective if the drill correctly uses the negative space on the field?