Urgent Need for Guard members

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately EVERYONE seems to be looking for guard kids. Even the big boys are struggling to fill spots.

Is this a result of a stronger and more popular than ever WGI? Are the sumer programs suffering because kids arent interested in having the drum corps get in the way of their colorguard?

Is this a result of a stronger and more popular than ever WGI? Are the sumer programs suffering because kids arent interested in having the drum corps get in the way of their colorguard?

Not quite sure, it may be a regional effect. The HS winterguard circuit here in FL ended late April. This is my daughter's first year in BAC guard, and they have a full guard with 4-5 alternates.

With the increase to 150 many corps (most I think) put a lot of the extra spots in the guard. That makes it tough for other corps.

Between the videos posted, reviews of shows, and info here on DCP it seems like a lot of coprs have 40 or more in their guards this year.

Edited by shawn craig

With the increase to 150 many corps (most I think) put a lot of the extra spots in the guard. That makes it tough for other corps.

Between the videos posted, reviews of shows, and info here on DCP it seems like a lot of coprs have 40 or more in their guards this year.

Yeah, I think you're on the right thoughts here. With the top 6 or 8 (or more) going for 40 or more in the gaurd that makes a bunch of spots open for kids who would have been cut in previous years. Some of those cut would have gone to other corps.

Allaina, why did you stop marching after '06? It looks as though you have a couple more years left. Just curious.

Honestly, I started college and lost focus. Quit playing. I wasn't as excited for 07 as I had been in the past and I let everything kind of go. Just for the record -- I have always been happy with my experience at the Bluecoats. I was a part of the highest scoring and highest placing Bluecoats in history and marched with some amazing people. We'll see what the future holds, though. I age out in 2010 and am looking to get in a couple jazz classes this fall so maybe I'll be back on the field for my ageout or something.

Honestly, I started college and lost focus. Quit playing. I wasn't as excited for 07 as I had been in the past and I let everything kind of go. Just for the record -- I have always been happy with my experience at the Bluecoats. I was a part of the highest scoring and highest placing Bluecoats in history and marched with some amazing people. We'll see what the future holds, though. I age out in 2010 and am looking to get in a couple jazz classes this fall so maybe I'll be back on the field for my ageout or something.

That's cool. Sorry to poke my nose in where it didn't belong. I was just curious as a fellow Bluecoat. Hope you will be able to make it back.

Interesting thought... I do know of a drummer whose parents would only let him march either WGI or DCI... and he chose WGI.

There's good things happening. Keep the faith, send folks the info!

I can agree with Terri - there are some good things happening at Troopers. At least that's what I hear from two of my students. They heard there were spots open and flew out to Wyoming to join the guard two weeks ago. They've both done two years of HS marching band and two years of winterguard (they were both in our JV program) and are LOVING it there. One has called me several times and told me how wonderful the staff is and how much she's loving being in the Troopers.

So if you have any kids who are still wishing they could march somewhere this summer I'd say get them hooked up with the Troopers!