Colt Cadets

Ok, I know there was only one show for them so far, but doesn anyone else think the last 2 years, they haven't really gotten any respect. I noticed it last year when they were alot better than Capital Sound, but Capital Sound was beating them in almost every show. Don't get me wrong, I really love Capital Sound, but Colt Cadets were much better than them all year last year, and only beat them in a few shows.

Then last night, they were up against Racine Scouts. I like the Racine Scouts, but the spread was nowhere near where it should have been. There honestly should have been a 12-15 point spread between the 2 corps.

I know the Colt Cadets have really gone through some changes the last couple of years, and the average age of the members has probably increased by about 3 years. Now I am not saying they will be in the running for top 5 in open class, but it seems like the judges still score them like the little kids corps they used to be, instead of an open class corps. Almost as if they are programmed with the score without even watching the open class corps.

Just my thoughts. Anyone else notice that, especially the last 2 years?

the Colt Cadets are a great bunch of kids. we did retreat with them once or twice last year and hung out with them in the lot after one of the shows. never really got to hear them though other than in retreat.

the Colt Cadets are a great bunch of kids. we did retreat with them once or twice last year and hung out with them in the lot after one of the shows. never really got to hear them though other than in retreat.

I couldn't agree with you more. The first review from Show of Shows in

Rockford, was the usual (cute Colt Cadets) The ages of some of the Cadets are the same as any other Corps. I'm sure the 15, 16, 17 and 18 year old Corps members are tired of being stereotyped as "cute". Try listening to the show and watch them perform. They deserve a fair score.

I couldn't agree with you more. The first review from Show of Shows in

Rockford, was the usual (cute Colt Cadets) The ages of some of the Cadets are the same as any other Corps. I'm sure the 15, 16, 17 and 18 year old Corps members are tired of being stereotyped as "cute". Try listening to the show and watch them perform. They deserve a fair score.

I can relate to that. :tongue:

Not fun what so ever. :tongue:

Ok, I know there was only one show for them so far, but doesn anyone else think the last 2 years, they haven't really gotten any respect. I noticed it last year when they were alot better than Capital Sound, but Capital Sound was beating them in almost every show. Don't get me wrong, I really love Capital Sound, but Colt Cadets were much better than them all year last year, and only beat them in a few shows.

Then last night, they were up against Racine Scouts. I like the Racine Scouts, but the spread was nowhere near where it should have been. There honestly should have been a 12-15 point spread between the 2 corps.

I know the Colt Cadets have really gone through some changes the last couple of years, and the average age of the members has probably increased by about 3 years. Now I am not saying they will be in the running for top 5 in open class, but it seems like the judges still score them like the little kids corps they used to be, instead of an open class corps. Almost as if they are programmed with the score without even watching the open class corps.

Just my thoughts. Anyone else notice that, especially the last 2 years?

There has been some great strides here the past few years. While I'm not sure the guard is as challenged as I've seen them in the past, I think the scoring really is not that far off. I know, some of you will think I'm being mean, but look at the purpose of this corps. They are all about entertaining the audience and having a great time. They usually do both very well. BUT, from a technical side...I'm not sure there is much consistent technique being demonstrated from a visual or musical stand point. This group will do best in GE captions, but once you get down to the individual stuff...not as strong. I think everyone wants to see them do well, but sometimes this good intent can get in the way of reality. You can't help but love the Colt Cadets. The are usually fun and are having fun...this doesnt always mean the execute at a level where the judges can give them 'numbers' the sheets dictate. They are learning for the most part. While their age seems to be older these days, I'm not sure their level of education has grown with them.

Let me start by saying, don't confuse Size and Quality while Colt Cadets were alot bigger than Racine, the playing wasn't too much different. CC had a drumline much bigger than Racine, but the difference was the two drummer they had Drum WELL, while CC drumline sound like 30 drummers hacking. No offense. The hornline wasn't too much bigger. CC with 25 horns and Racine with 16 with 4 members not in the show yet. Had the same quality and problems.

I'm not being negative, just stating the obvious. There's too many people who confuse Quality and Quantity.

OK...first off, I also love Colt Cadets...they are a class group, and a part of a class organization.

I saw them at Rockford and agreed completely with their score. Their show is very raw, and from what I can see, over their capabilities right now. I'm sure they will clean up and water where necessary, but I don't think they were slighted by the judges, or by other reviewers...

I also think that Racine was scored too high, but that is for another topic.

As for your assertion that they were so much better than Capital Sound last year...I disagree. I saw several shows where they both were and felt Capital Sound was better. The only area where I though Colt Cadets had a stronger program was color guard, but overall Cap Sound's show was more entertaining, more mature, and better performed.

But, more to the issue of Colt Cadets being slighted: If you truly think this, fine. But, when you make your case, point out their strengths, not other corps weaknesses. This is a subjective activity, and not everyone is going to agree that they were so much better than another corps. I agree they were a better product than Racine, but no where near as grandiose as you believe.

The Colts organization wouldn't make their case for more respect by saying they were better than other corps, they'd do by showing what they are doing really well. I like that way of doing things...it's a more classy way to make one's case.

I can relate to that. :tongue:

Not fun what so ever. :laughing:

Average age of the drum line this year is 17 and they are working very hard. This group will be one to watch as they get bettter and better all season. The Cadet corp is one of the hardest working group of youg people I know and I can't wait to see what they accomplish this year! Go Colt Cadets!

OK...first off, I also love Colt Cadets...they are a class group, and a part of a class organization.

I saw them at Rockford and agreed completely with their score. Their show is very raw, and from what I can see, over their capabilities right now. I'm sure they will clean up and water where necessary, but I don't think they were slighted by the judges, or by other reviewers...

I also think that Racine was scored too high, but that is for another topic.

As for your assertion that they were so much better than Capital Sound last year...I disagree. I saw several shows where they both were and felt Capital Sound was better. The only area where I though Colt Cadets had a stronger program was color guard, but overall Cap Sound's show was more entertaining, more mature, and better performed.

But, more to the issue of Colt Cadets being slighted: If you truly think this, fine. But, when you make your case, point out their strengths, not other corps weaknesses. This is a subjective activity, and not everyone is going to agree that they were so much better than another corps. I agree they were a better product than Racine, but no where near as grandiose as you believe.

The Colts organization wouldn't make their case for more respect by saying they were better than other corps, they'd do by showing what they are doing really well. I like that way of doing things...it's a more classy way to make one's case.

Thank you for your point of view. And all the others who put them on here. I agree with many points you brought up. On the Capital Sound, I completely disagree. I thought CC had them beat last year in most areas of the show. Better GE, better hornline(and no, bigger isn't always better either) better guard. I really thought the performance level of CC was on par with CS as well.

Being slighted isn't exactly what I meant, let me try to explain it out a little better. If you have seen the Colt Cadets in the past, you know what I mean. It used to be a bunch of 8-13 year olds, with little musical knowledge, and poorly performed easily written drill. Cute and fun to watch at the beginning of the evening.

Now the level has definitely gone up. I am not saying they are anywhere near the level of the top Open Class corps, but they are definitely improving, and better than alot of the lower level Open Class corps. In almost any year up to last year, I would have agreed Capital Sound was better. But last year, I really thought Colt Cadets had stepped up their game, and Capital Sound was a little weaker than normal, and CC should have beaten them. Definitely in every contest I saw them in together.

It is nice to see at least one midwest corps with a feeder unit. It is also nice to see the level of that group rising. Colt Cadets should be very proud of their performance. I would just like to see the scores and placements reflect the actual show, and maybe less of what the judges perceptions of the corps are(happens in World Class DI all the time too)

The Colt Cadets have been one of the most consistent Div. II corps in the modern era. Their leadership and instructional teams are top notch, which translates to a top notch experience for their members.

Best of luck for a(nother) great season!

:biggrin: