Port Huron

I will be heading to this show this evening and if I am not too tired by the time I return home look for a review late tonight.

I will be heading to this show this evening and if I am not too tired by the time I return home look for a review late tonight.

waiting.... hurryup.gif

I have not been to this show since '93 and was said to learn that this will be the last year for it (after 30 consecutive years). Some pretty good thunderstorms rolled through the area during the afternoon but the weather cleared nicely for showtime. Temperature in mid 60s with a very slight breeze, perfect weather for corps. Now for a quick review:

Dutch Boy - Percussion was definitely their strong point. Guard is still missing a lot of work (and uniforms). Horns had some endurance issues in the middle portion of the production. When the visual demands are lower the horns have a good fundamental sound. Show design is competent but its obvious this group is real young. Should be a nice solid production by the end of the year.

Troopers - Wow!!! Way to go Troop!!! By far the best I have ever seen this corps. Opening statement had some serious attitude. Drill is effective and written well. I just love the way this corps carries themselves and it does not much better than see their DM in character. I don't think this show will contend for finals but they are very quickly moving in the right direction and should have a solid spot at semis.

Pioneer - Issues with one of the props tonight and it really became distracting. Nice idea with the guard on ladders with hand drums at the beginning. I would definitely like to see that played up a bit more. Lots of a front to back ensemble issues at the beginning of the show and keyboards sounded muddy. Could have been this stadium with respect to the pit since they are literally right in front of the stands. The battery always seems to be Pioneer's strong suit and this year is no exception. Sops are bar far the strongest voice in the hornline. At times the baritones almost disappeared in the ensemble. Good to see Donny Allen running up to the top of the stands right before there show!

Bluecoats - Lots of good ideas and the show picks up a lot of clarity and energy the further is progresses. I am not buying the On the Waterfront music yet. I know part of it is just how different the arrangement is, but it just felt really heavy to me. Perhaps just too loud to much of the time. Drill wise I think the blue team is headed in the right direction, they have a lot to clean. Thematically this show is very strong and I did not notice any narration tonight (it does not need it). The acapella horn statement two-thirds of the way through is just incredible. If these guys can tighten up the first quarter of the show they will really be on to something.

Boston - Holy cow are the moving this year and right now that is hurting them against Bluecoats. Guard is very cosmic this year. Kingfisher's Catch Fire works great on the field. BAC moves extremely well but the visual demands are keeping dynamics to a minimum right now. Just loud and louder right now. Musically is that a quote from ET I heard right near the end? This is by far Boston's best effort in the past few years. The only thing that might hurt them in the long run is little lack of demand in the horn book, but overall I like what I am seeing from them.

Cavies - If they have this much detail in the show already at this point in the season, watch out. Hornline jumping over each other is brilliant. Lots of half-valve/pitch bend work going on with the hornline, very unique and adds a completely new color. Some good volume from their hornline as well tonight. Guard was stellar as usual. Not quite sure how to phrase this (especially since I loved this show)....tons of really cool stuff going on, but no real moments that were memorable yet. It's early yet and these guys are always detailing to the end so I am not worried.

My only real complaint of the night was Boston getting ready for the encore. There was an issue with getting power to the electronics in the pit. I was like, you are ten feet from the front row of the stands, we will be able to hear you. Scores were pretty much in line with what I thought.

I agree about the Amps, it's like they don't know how to perform without them anymore.

Come on, just give us RAW DRUM CORPS!!!!!

UNPLUGGED :laughing:

Hey now. I can understand people's position on the amps but you really have to be a member of a pit to understand why they were used. However, I was not at the show so I could not agree or disagree whether they should have used them. I haven't heard the pit scoring either. In all good intentions, there were only a handful (5 or less) times that the power did not work when I performed and that was usually a fault on the stadium power.

I agree about the Amps, it's like they don't know how to perform without them anymore.

Come on, just give us RAW DRUM CORPS!!!!!

UNPLUGGED :laughing:

Edited by rhythmaniacs

Worth the wait - thanks for the review!

there were only a handful (5 or less) times that the power did not work when I performed and that was usually a fault on the stadium power.

Is it the fault of the stadium power for not working, or show designers utilizing something that doesn't always work? :laughing:

I would have to honestly say that it was the stadium. The equipment was brand new and we made sure it worked every time! But it was a waste when we couldn't use them (like rough weather conditions)...the whole front was lost and that affected the overall percussion score and music. :tongue:

Is it the fault of the stadium power for not working, or show designers utilizing something that doesn't always work? :laughing:

I would have to honestly say that it was the stadium. The equipment was brand new and we made sure it worked every time! But it was a waste when we couldn't use them (like rough weather conditions)...the whole front was lost and that affected the overall percussion score and music. :laughing:

I think you missed what I was saying.

Pre-2004, the power could go out and nothing changes. Now the staff are utilizing equipment that requires a competent performance from the electrical utility, not just the members.

I think you missed what I was saying.

Pre-2004, the power could go out and nothing changes. Now the staff are utilizing equipment that requires a competent performance from the electrical utility, not just the members.

I think he got it, he was just trying to ignore the dead horse issue.