DCI Trivial Questions...

Thanks for the in-person enlightenment. Please hold on to this on your hard drive, because you know it will eventually come up again.

I can respond to 1974...

I think it's pretty funny how things develop and stories grow... It's almost like a he said/she said... The '74 DCI was taped by WCNY TV Syracuse. They only did prelims because of poor lighting at Cornell's Schoenkopf Stadium. I was the color commentator for the TV Station. They came to me because of my drum corps radio show and on air experience as a morning drive time host. It was the first Nationally released broadcast of a DCI Championship. It wasn't released till fall. I was called into the studio during editing to add some voice overs and assist in the editing.

The show was actually shot on 1" pro video that all TV Stations used at the time. They did NOT tape over it. They did NOT use it for a newscast. (although it was expensive and they may have been tempted) Some years later, when I realized that DCI did not have a copy, I went to the station and talked to them about it. By then, the equipment had changed and the 1" video was obsolete. Only a few weeks before I stopped in, they had thrown away all their 1" tape as it was a fire hazard. Yes, I could have cried.

Any '74 Ithaca video dci has been able to resurrect came from some darn fine rework of someone's early home video recorded when the show was broadcast. It's hard to believe, but all DCI would have had to do is ASK before the tapes were destroyed and they could have had the entire package for nothing. Having seen all the original tapes, I can tell you that the earlier corps in the show were kind of training grounds for the non drum corps video crew... but the final few corps came out pretty well... anyway... it was a great experience and got me into the original dci trivia book.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was awesome to witness,..............that place exploded!

Should have been there the day the first time a couple of smoke bombs exploded followed by a crack of lightning and seemingly hysterical corps members scattered in the middle of a show at night in the rain in Delaware.

That crowd went berserk.

But that was back when those kind of things weren't done.

That's the only trivia I've got…

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

I really hope they get the music clearance issue cleared up for the Jim Jones films soon.

Garry in Vegas