DCI Trivial Questions...

The following was originally posted on the main discussion forum back in April, and was promptly ignored and lost pretty quickly. So I post again in the more appropriate forum hoping to get an answer--thank you!!! Here it is:

Hi--So, I got the most recent DCI email in my mailbox and in the left pane in had a "Fan Giveaway" or something like that, and it listed 1987 SCV. Since 1987 SCV is probably one of my most favorite drum corps shows in the history of Planet Earth (if not the whole show, certainly the opener), I clicked on the link thinking I was going to get a free download of the show. Either I'm computer stupid or something, but the link took me to the APD download area for Vanguard, where it lists each years show starting with most current and going backwards in time. Went to 87, and saw that it wasn't for free, but that's not what struck me. I have a couple of questions about SCV's listings...

1. Why is 1990's SCV show only listed with the name of George Bizet, and not credited with the title of the show that year, which of course was "Carmen", with pretty recognizable titles of each song in the show?

2. What were the "licensing" issue from 1981 in Montreal, and how come in 2008, this is a "problem"?

3. What were the "blackouts" in the 1978 recordings caused by? I know it says it was in the condition of the masters, but something must have caused the condition.

4. What happened in 1974 to the finals recordings? Were they lost? Destroyed?

Like I said, this is trivial, but interesting to know.

--------------------

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think as far as 1974 goes, DCI knew the Muchachos were going to be disqualified the next year so they destroyed the 74 evidence as well, then destroyed everyone's finals tapes while they were at it. Something about 'burning down the village in order to save it.'

Actually, there was a fire at the DCI office in the late '70's that destroyed a lot of unreplacable items, including tapes/recordings from the 1974 finals.

Oh....I thought you meant the "Trivial" column written by Ed Trautner in DCW back in the dark ages ! (I was a contributing photographer for many a column)

I don't think they video taped Finals in '74 ... That was before the DCI PBS broadcasts.

The only tapes I've ever seen of '74 were from prelims, and those were 1/4" reel-to-reel videos that predated VHS.

As to damage and/or loss. DCI didn't aggressively manage their video and audio archives, at least up until around 2000. At one point, the management decided to save the expense of having the audio/video assets in temperature controlled storage, so everything was stored in the basement in Lombard.

I thought that the missing '78 material was the result of water damage, but I could be wrong about that.

I'm sure DCI is managing their a/v assets with much more diligence these days ... There is no doubt the audio and video recordings from the corps over the years are THE most valuable asset DCI owns in terms of preserving our history.

2. What were the "licensing" issue from 1981 in Montreal, and how come in 2008, this is a "problem"?

[/font]

--------------------

Don't quote me on this but rumor has it that the Canadian/Quebec government has some sort of rights to the recordings since it was on public broadcasting. I heard that for someone to purchase these rights would cost them an arm, leg AND first born. Add the fact that US entities would be interested, all the more reason why Quebec would want to make it difficult to purchase. Freakin French Canadians :laughing: (my parent company is from Montreal)

Its too bad also. That is the only recording of the Cavalier step over with the hesitation. Still, to this day by some counts, the loudest crowd reaction to a drum corps show in history. I am sure the somewhat enclosed stadium had something to do with it also.

3. What were the "blackouts" in the 1978 recordings caused by? I know it says it was in the condition of the masters, but something must have caused the condition [/font]

--------------------

The Cavalier conspiracy to erase all evidence that the 1978 season even existed.

Its too bad also. That is the only recording of the Cavalier step over with the hesitation. Still, to this day by some counts, the loudest crowd reaction to a drum corps show in history. I am sure the somewhat enclosed stadium had something to do with it also.

That was awesome to witness,..............that place exploded!

The following was originally posted on the main discussion forum back in April, and was promptly ignored and lost pretty quickly. So I post again in the more appropriate forum hoping to get an answer--thank you!!! Here it is:

4. What happened in 1974 to the finals recordings? Were they lost? Destroyed?

--------------------

The tapes were done by the local station. The recordings of SCV, Madison and Kingsmen are the only ones that survived because they were the only ones not reused by the station. In other words, the other corps were taped over. We're lucky we have those. That's why the rest of the corps on the 74 DVD are from Whitewater.

Garry in Vegas

I think as far as 1974 goes, DCI knew the Muchachos were going to be disqualified the next year so they destroyed the 74 evidence as well, then destroyed everyone's finals tapes while they were at it. Something about 'burning down the village in order to save it.'

Dude -

I enjoy a god conspiracy theory as much as anyone, but Muchachos were DQ'd in '75.