Since no one else is jumping in, I will.

My name is John and I play snare for the Govies, so this is what I saw.

Got to the stadium, met the same parking lot dude from the last 10 years (sorry can't remember his name, but he gave us "rock star" parking so I owe him a beer) and got set up for our first show.

Went in the stadium to check things out, BSed with Gary Fox, checked the field (fine as usual, but too far away from the crowd) and went to warm-up-In-U

Chops-- heard them playing with their pit, sounded good in the lot. Saw most of there stuff from behind, they all looked like they knew where they were going.

Govies--Since I play snare, the only thing I heard was Dillon (other snare drum) and he did well :lol: The corps only got off by 5 yards once, and we endded the show together so things were concidered to be good.

MBI-- This was the only corps I saw from the front, and I stayed for their one tune Knuttville, which the Govies are playing as well. They looked and sounded like MBI

Colt Cadets--You got to love an organization that brings its own feeder corps/fan group, didn't see them but I heard they did well.

Madison-- As an old alumni I went to catch "the boys" The front stands were PACXKED to gills so I saw them from behind. WOW!!! holy carp are they moving fast. I like the new unis, they are based around the ones I and my brother Mike wore in 86-87. It's nice because now they don't look like every other corps (except the troopers :laugh: ) tenors rocked as usual :biggrin: "GO MADISON"

Blue stars--- I was not ready for the bike outfits in the guard, and from the comments I heard, niether was any one else. Did not see the show, but from the looks of the guard and the bike tire they were caring, I bet the show is about road bikes. Comments I did hear about the overall show were ALL good.

Blue Knights---I guess you need to be a dancer to play horn in the blue knights. Comments were that people were more impressed by the movement of the horns then what they were playing as a corps.

Colts---When the guard was walking past the bus after the show my wife stoped me and said "whos that?" refering to the guard outfits which were realy nice. Comments I heard was the show was wonderfull, almost surprizingly wonderfull, everything I heard was good.

Phantom-- Most people started off by saying WOW! and I lost track after that. When there horn like came by the bus, our lower brass counted "23 Euphes", but they only had 12 tubas.

Carolina Crown-- I think most people thoughts before the show was "who the h_ll is this Carolina Crown" but after the show, EVERYBODY knew. Our guard people came back and were very very impressed with their show. I was a half mile away, and I liked their show. The only negitive thing I heard was the unies. "they look like ice cream cones" but If they play like that, I'm sure no one realy cares one bit.

Over all show-- In my 29 years of drum corps this was the best first "over all" show to date. All the corps were ready to go, and delivered the goods. Nice job to all who put the show together, and I was proud to be apart of Drum Beauty 08

John Mayer

Govenaires

p.s. What did U C?

My name is John and I play snare for the Govies....

Ah-hah... That explains everything.

I saw pictures of you guys on the internet and I didn't recognize the dude on the podium.

Kinda freaked me out a little bit. Thought maybe you had invaded a new body, or had

some kind of appearance altering surgery, or you had been abducted by aliens. I was

worried that since you weren't on the podium, maybe Patrick's would be closed.

YIKES! That's a scarey thought!

Thanks for the great review, and see you soon.

Relax my friend, have a beer :biggrin:

Everything good in Govie land.

Madison-- As an old alumni I went to catch "the boys" The front stands were PACXKED to gills so I saw them from behind. WOW!!! holy carp are they moving fast.

Hmm....seeing references to "gills" and "carp"...I can only assume the "moving fast" refers to swimming. :lookaround:

Actually, it's just John's poor keyboarding skills. He meant to type "Holy Crap" one time, reversed the r and a, we have never let him live it down. It has become the official Govenaire exclamation statement.

Actually, it's just John's poor keyboarding skills. He meant to type "Holy Crap" one time, reversed the r and a, we have never let him live it down. It has become the official Govenaire exclamation statement.

in all truthness, "Carp" is a turm we use in Govies instead of saying crap. Check out brother Stoli shirt sometime, he has a picture of an old man holding this big @ss carp, under the heading "Holy Carp"

• 3 weeks later...

The show was great, Madison is really throwin down this year.( from a drum stand-point) Casey Brohard is their snare tech/Asst. CH. I was surprised by that when I saw him there. Wasn't too impressed with the BK's. My CH (Paul Weber -Irondale HS-) is their tenor tech, so I was kind of bummed to see that they weren't drumming too well. They seemed very Vanguard-esk, one of their exercises ( I swear to all that is holy) was double beat '04 and cheezy poofs/basic strokes all rolled into one! I think that Crown was the ones that really threw down though, I was very impressed. They were cleaner and tighter than Phantom. Phantom's new Dynasty drums are insanely cool. Brass was the only senior corps that I watched because I know alot of their line. Watched Govies in the lot for a bit..... I wonder if one of their tenors joined late or something because he was like reading off of music or something. They seemed to be drumming a pretty cool book though.