2008 Cadets show

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here something I find worrysome for the cadets.........

Look at the audition numbers of cadets compared to cavaliers. Cadets don't have near the number. You have to appeal to the audiance in this activity.

I personally know a 3 year vet currently marching in the Cadets. This person said to me during the winter "Can't we just play a normal, hard core dci show just once while I march?"

When current members say these things and don't believe in the show design, it is a problem.

Here something I find worrysome for the cadets.........

Look at the audition numbers of cadets compared to cavaliers. Cadets don't have near the number. You have to appeal to the audiance in this activity.

I personally know a 3 year vet currently marching in the Cadets. This person said to me during the winter "Can't we just play a normal, hard core dci show just once while I march?"

When current members say these things and don't believe in the show design, it is a problem.

You post is a sensitive subject, but I will say this. The Cadets have never had 400 and 500 hundred people trying out for them. I was at auditions following the 02, 03, and 04 seasons (all very fan friendly and straight-up shows) The numbers were no different than what I saw the past 2 years. It's just always been that way. Usually plenty trumpets and drummers, but not a surplus of everything else. Yet they always manage to do just fine, and I dont see that changing anytime soon...

Wondering if GH is going through an NPR cycle now, like he did with Bernstein '83-86. Last year "This I Believe...", this year more or less "The Story" (or is it "This American Life" minus a sense of irony?).

Guess that means "Car Talk" next year....

Edited by mobrien

Wait a minute. Did they have the entire show on that video clip you said you saw?

nope...was Vesuvius...and what a shame it was to hear talking over that wonderful song...there was also a 34 second clip on that vid clip place that was just astounding...alas, there was no talking over the music.

I know you are gonna come back with the...well, you didn't see the whole show..how can you judge it? There is 3 MINUTES and 40 SECONDS of narration...(until they drop some, that is). that's over a full QUARTER of the show...and the narration is in no way entertaining (of what I've read and heard). I don't need told what happiness is. I don't need told what other's happiness is.

I so much want my Garfield back...

Drum corps is (or was) about the music. The Cadets show is about the narration. The show was built around narration...there is no getting around that undeniable fact.

I so much want my Garfield back...

You mean the Garfield who, when in 1985 my brother in law who marched in the 60's and saw their Bernstein show said afterwards..."What the heck was that crap?? That ain't drum corps!"

That Garfield?

Just checking...

You mean the Garfield who, when in 1985 my brother in law who marched in the 60's and saw their Bernstein show said afterwards..."What the heck was that crap?? That ain't drum corps!"

That Garfield?

Just checking...

actually, yes...that Garfield would do fine...1983-2004...that Garfield would do nicely... :lookaround: :lookaround:

You post is a sensitive subject, but I will say this. The Cadets have never had 400 and 500 hundred people trying out for them. I was at auditions following the 02, 03, and 04 seasons (all very fan friendly and straight-up shows) The numbers were no different than what I saw the past 2 years. It's just always been that way. Usually plenty trumpets and drummers, but not a surplus of everything else. Yet they always manage to do just fine, and I dont see that changing anytime soon...

This is the exact thing that I take great pride in being a Cadet. It seems like they barely fill a full hornline every year. They do not have the numbers that the other "top" corps have audition which means that they have to work real friggin hard every year to stay on top (not that ever corps doesn't work hard every year, but talk to someone who marched about the work ethic and reputation of the Cadets and they will tell you).