2008 Cadets show

Who cares if it is or isn't cutting edge. Maybe they should play something Latin.

REAL cutting edge will be when the naration will be in Latin.

4 years ? 6 ?

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares if it is or isn't cutting edge. Maybe they should play something Latin.

I would LOVE to see the Cadets do a Latin show...or a jazz show...

I saw the Cadets in Toledo.

A few brief insights into my prior experience with the Cadets-

A. they are my favorite corps of all time

B. I have liked or loved pretty much every show, minus Jethro Tull

C. I have defended the Cadets time and time again over the past few years.

D. I believe cadets 07 shoul have won and was way underatted and looked down upon for narration that fit and made sense.

My Toledo experience

A. Loved Boston's show!

B. Was waiting with fervent anticipation for the Cadets.

C. I am smart enough to understand what was trying to be portrayed.

D. I hated it. I couldn't believe how much I hated it.

A few things from other posts I need to clear up from my perspective.

A. There is no homosexual overtones, the girl she hugs at the end is herself. That is why she has been wearing a scarf the whole time. The guard member is a representation of her memory of the events in her life (I could be worng).

B. The Snap - I do not think people understood what it was supposed to be at the end, and they forgot the one small line about snapping your fingers to be happy....if you didnt catch the line in the beginning, the end would have made no sense. When the snap happened, peopel were waiting for *gasp* more text to explain what was meant.

C. The people behind the screen need to be hidden better.

D. The stage is almost too far away to tell what is really going on.

E. Why does the stage look like a 50's living room when she clearly says she was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2006.

F. If the actors are supposed to be lip reading what the narrator's are saying, it is hard to see.

G. Why is it set in a living room at all if it is a radio show, why not in a radio studio with microphones and the people talking actually acting out what they are saying.

H. The lady next to me thought the guy on stage was an interior decorator, the way he was moving around the living room, touching funiture. It was very unclear that they were supposed to be the representation of the interview.

I. Not a hater of narration, but this is over the top. I felt like I was watching a bad high school play...certainly not what you want from a World Class Organization.

The crowd response from Toledo was not malicious. I really feel people were at a loss. I feel bad if this was someone's first exposure to such a wonderful corps. People were not booing, or yelling at George...they were legitimatley confused and personal I was soooo disappointed.

The corps still marches and plays amazing. I still love them. I still have their decal on my car. I will continue to root for them and do not want to see them fall....but I hate this show.

I have a feeling the crowd will sit on their hands most of the season, which is a shame, because there are some very talented young people giving it their all out there.

I am sure the show will be refined, but this first impression left a horrible taste in my mouth.

I like the theme about happiness, and feel the messages are all good...the working too much, the trying to find love...I get it and like it, but the radio interview and the soap opera set were not working for me at all.

One last note, I also was sitting with a breast cancer survivor. She was not very pleased at the way it was thrown into the show. I get that they need something bad to happen to our protagonist so we will root for her, but the breast cancer bit seemed too much.

Please change the show...drastically. It is not too late. (Again, when the corp plays and marches I am in heaven).

I saw the Cadets in Toledo.

A few brief insights into my prior experience with the Cadets-

A. they are my favorite corps of all time

B. I have liked or loved pretty much every show, minus Jethro Tull

C. I have defended the Cadets time and time again over the past few years.

D. I believe cadets 07 shoul have won and was way underatted and looked down upon for narration that fit and made sense.

My Toledo experience

A. Loved Boston's show!

B. Was waiting with fervent anticipation for the Cadets.

C. I am smart enough to understand what was trying to be portrayed.

D. I hated it. I couldn't believe how much I hated it.

A few things from other posts I need to clear up from my perspective.

A. There is no homosexual overtones, the girl she hugs at the end is herself. That is why she has been wearing a scarf the whole time. The guard member is a representation of her memory of the events in her life (I could be worng).

B. The Snap - I do not think people understood what it was supposed to be at the end, and they forgot the one small line about snapping your fingers to be happy....if you didnt catch the line in the beginning, the end would have made no sense. When the snap happened, peopel were waiting for *gasp* more text to explain what was meant.

C. The people behind the screen need to be hidden better.

D. The stage is almost too far away to tell what is really going on.

E. Why does the stage look like a 50's living room when she clearly says she was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2006.

F. If the actors are supposed to be lip reading what the narrator's are saying, it is hard to see.

G. Why is it set in a living room at all if it is a radio show, why not in a radio studio with microphones and the people talking actually acting out what they are saying.

H. The lady next to me thought the guy on stage was an interior decorator, the way he was moving around the living room, touching funiture. It was very unclear that they were supposed to be the representation of the interview.

I. Not a hater of narration, but this is over the top. I felt like I was watching a bad high school play...certainly not what you want from a World Class Organization.

The crowd response from Toledo was not malicious. I really feel people were at a loss. I feel bad if this was someone's first exposure to such a wonderful corps. People were not booing, or yelling at George...they were legitimatley confused and personal I was soooo disappointed.

The corps still marches and plays amazing. I still love them. I still have their decal on my car. I will continue to root for them and do not want to see them fall....but I hate this show.

I have a feeling the crowd will sit on their hands most of the season, which is a shame, because there are some very talented young people giving it their all out there.

I am sure the show will be refined, but this first impression left a horrible taste in my mouth.

I like the theme about happiness, and feel the messages are all good...the working too much, the trying to find love...I get it and like it, but the radio interview and the soap opera set were not working for me at all.

One last note, I also was sitting with a breast cancer survivor. She was not very pleased at the way it was thrown into the show. I get that they need something bad to happen to our protagonist so we will root for her, but the breast cancer bit seemed too much.

Please change the show...drastically. It is not too late. (Again, when the corp plays and marches I am in heaven).

Wow...a new one pops up every day

(not a slam on you...it's just crazy for a first post...but you're cool though)

I have been reading this thing for years....I felt so strongly about this post I created a screenname the day after Toledo and I had some time to write. I sort of feel bad for what I worte...because I know it may read as a post that is just out there to bash...but I really meant it to be my thoughts and my criticism.

I have been reading this thing for years....I felt so strongly about this post I created a screenname the day after Toledo and I had some time to write. I sort of feel bad for what I worte...because I know it may read as a post that is just out there to bash...but I really meant it to be my thoughts and my criticism.

Nah...you're at least as reasonable and intelligent as anyone else around here. I lurked for a span of 4 years while I was marching (for the most part), and then got busy this past summer. Its not changing the world or anything, but its more interesting than the rest of the internets... Welcome to DCP :lookaround:

Edited by euponitone

Good post. And I agree with most of it. Of course some people will pre-judge the Cadets just due to the narration. I'm not a fan of it myself, but I must say I still thought the Cadets were amazing last year. And I had them winning the title also. The narration did bother me some, but mostly due to the way it was performed. I'm not sure I agree on the younger generation being more in tune with it..I remember seeing the Cadets at Murf last year and to be honest it was actually the young high school kids laughing and making jokes about the show. I was somewhat shocked because I thought they would be the ones who would enjoy it more. Not a good sign if you ask me. To add on to that, the Murf show has TONS of high school kids at the show..And most of the time, Regiment and Cavaliers get the biggest response from them..Two corps who don't have narration. Just something to think about. I'm looking forward to seeing the Cadets show this year. Can't wait to hear that hornline.

the 'Boro show is well attended and an amazing venue. it's a great showcase and learning experience for the TONS of high school students from TN, GA, AL, MS and KY that watch.

as for the crowd during the Cadet's show...most of the people sitting by me (save the guy who marched contra for The Cadets back in the day) were very "what's going on? huh?" during their performance.

Edited by chaos001

I would like to ask about the silent drill. There are about 8 measures, right before Vesuvius I think, where the corps moves through a couple of formations in total silence, ending with some nice tosses by the rifles and sabres maybe. I think it looks pretty neat. I was wondering if it is hard to do without the percussion - or if the DM and the beat in your head just keeps it going? Anyway, I thought it was a neat little effect and something different. To me anyway.

I would like to ask about the silent drill. There are about 8 measures, right before Vesuvius I think, where the corps moves through a couple of formations in total silence, ending with some nice tosses by the rifles and sabres maybe. I think it looks pretty neat. I was wondering if it is hard to do without the percussion - or if the DM and the beat in your head just keeps it going? Anyway, I thought it was a neat little effect and something different. To me anyway.

Im pretty sure its just 'traffic' - or life in the fast line...something like that. And yes, it is quite difficult. Usually someone on the field who can see duts or something....not sure what theyre doing now though...havent seen the show lately.

I would LOVE to see the Cadets do a Latin show...or a jazz show...

REAL cutting edge byThe Cadets would be a Latin themed show with narration in Spanish.

Seriously.... Many folks are saying that they don't understand the show as it is, even when spoken in English..

If the narration was in Spanish, what's the difference ? And it has the opportunity to play well in places like San Antonio and other regions on tour too where te show might get a better audience reception than it currently is.

A Latin themed show with narration in Spanish.

It's only a matter of time anyway it seems to me.