Down by the Riverside

I am a brass player and it sounded pretty good for June 30th. It certainly wasn't anything close to muddy. Look, their show is not going to be loud. I dunno. I am not saying this about you, but I think if there aren't many loud portions in a show, then people aren't as impressed. I am making a generalization. I am impressed, as well as the judges with what they are performing musically. Well, at least the brass. Can't really comment on the battery. That might be where they are struggling just a little, as far as the music goes.

Look, Academy already has shown it can play demanding pieces. Why not step it up a notch. Challenge them. I say go for it. The reward is more pleasing if you take the challenge and go for it, than to water it down. Again, they have 5 weeks to clean it up.

Hey, just last year, I remember Spirit getting hammered early on and then made a run and made Finals. Academy's fate will lie in their completed visual program. That is what made them not make Finals last year. That is the hump they have to get over. Still, this is only their 2nd year in Div. I.

I'm not saying they were bad, I was just saying that musically atleat from my vantage point tonight it sounded sloppy, I do enjoy the music though

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying they were bad, I was just saying that musically atleat from my vantage point tonight it sounded sloppy, I do enjoy the music though

Everybody sounded better at Walnut than at RCC, IMO. Better acoustics at Walnut. RCC, the corps seemed muted somewhat. I think the high stands at Walnut helped. I dunno, but I noticed it very much tonight on the field. Maybe it is sounding muddy upstairs, vice on the field. I was listening closely for the fast double tonguing and fingerwork in many parts of their show. I didn't notice any obvious intonation issues, either. It is certainly better than last year, the brass that is.

Everybody sounded better at Walnut than at RCC, IMO. Better acoustics at Walnut. RCC, the corps seemed muted somewhat. I think the high stands at Walnut helped. I dunno, but I noticed it very much tonight on the field. Maybe it is sounding muddy upstairs, vice on the field. I was listening closely for the fast double tonguing and fingerwork in many parts of their show. I didn't notice any obvious intonation issues, either. It is certainly better than last year, the brass that is.

the intonation was great from the stands, just the fast passages while on the move suffered.

but that screwy judging system would raise everyones scores not just one

Not if the ones left out were that corps stronger ones. Let's see where Academy is after all the judges are in after July 4th.

Ooooh! Sounds like a nice show.

What's VK's program this year?

The show is entitled INFERNO, and includes Toccata and Fugue, Verdi's Requim, Thriller, Carmen, Strangers in the Night, Symphony Fantisque(sp?sorry its late), New World Symphony, plus more. It's a fun show

Looks to be the screwy judging system. Put all the judges in and stop trying to save a few pennies. (snip) At $20 and $25 per ticket and the huge crowds this weekend, DCI can afford it.

They are saving more than a "few pennies." DCI already posted a statement explaining that this move saved them over $50,000. Considering that DCI has tried in the past to be in a position to help corps with the financial burden of gas prices, and are currently going to be offering free round-trip bus rides for the fans back and forth between Indianapolis and Bloomington when Finals roll around, combined with the fact that there have been multiple posts to the effect that stadium usage fees being charged to DCI are going up, I'd say that they are making the right call financially. This really isn't a matter of "saving" money; it's a matter of reallocating that money from one expenditure to another that they felt was more important.

What I find funny is that I recall for years people on this board have decried the number of judges on the field, stating that they should be placed in the stands and that there don't need to be as many of them, etc. However, when DCI actually enacts those changes (albeit on a temporary basis) people lose it, arguing that judges in the stands can't see the individual detail that "truly" decides a show's score,, can't cover enough of the field, blah blah blah.

And it's confirmed....with PC's score, WCI does in fact exist

Rather than insult my whole drum corps career, you could have just said "Yay for PC and all the other corps!" or "I'm really a big fan of so-and-so corps, I wish them well" or "With PC's score, it looks like they will have a good season" or "Wow, I wasn't at the show, but I sure wish I was there to make an informed, fair opinion" or....yanno, something of that nature.

Comments like this make people feel like writing this:

Parents Speak Up

Let's focus on the positives of the activity, yes?

::edited html link::

::still not working, but it's clear which topic I'm talking about::

Edited by Vega