What if The Cadets dropped electronics next year?

I know they are never going to do this but it's interesting to see how everyone thinks about the idea. Imagine - after pushing all the stupid new rules changes if Hop decided to come back to real drum corps and let his kids display their incredible talent without all the yacking. They wouldn't even have to un-amp the pit, just cut all the other stuff. I would have to get my hot dogs at intermission because I'd never want to miss their show!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one can ever deny that it's the show design that is bad. Not the execution. Go back to the old days and I'll be a #1 fan.

"Old days"?

How old are you, pray tell, because I have the feeling that you're referring to something well after the '80's, and that's a LONG way from "old days", dear. That's computer age.

:smile:

Anyway, while this writer is no fan of electronics, (badly-handled) narration, or woodwinds in Drum Corps either (problem of keeping definition of activity consistent, not the techniques per se), I gotta disagree about your statement about Cadets' show design, which has been consistently brilliant and forward-looking in all the real Drum Corps ways we do like, even while the un-Drum Corps elements distract us.

Whether you're into Alice In Wonderland stuff or not, let's face it, "The Zone" was knockout show design.

"once again....we are against it because there are already outlets for narration and electronics...there is only one outlet for drum corps... "

Wrong! It's called DCA. All you people that say it my only outlet make me laugh. Try looking past your own little worlds.

AMEN AMEN AMEN !!!! It is NOT the only outlet.

I think we all know that and many of us have said as much many many times, but this being a Cadets thread on the DCI World board and all....

But the Poster said ONLY so, they left themselves open for that.

We all know the initial result - most likely a completely awesome drum corps show that would be in contention for the ring.

How about on DCP? Would they be more popular with DCP'ers or would they continue to get flack?

Not intended for flaming - lord knows they get enough of that already (From Myself as well)....

Ready? GO!

In other words, they'd be similar to the 2002-2004 Cadets? Those drew plenty of flak at the time, although not as much as the 2005-2008 shows have drawn.

George Hopkins is like a lightening rod. Some of the controversy and criticism that he attracts is going to spill onto the corps no matter what they do on the field.

I know they are never going to do this but it's interesting to see how everyone thinks about the idea. Imagine - after pushing all the stupid new rules changes if Hop decided to come back to real drum corps and let his kids display their incredible talent without all the yacking. They wouldn't even have to un-amp the pit, just cut all the other stuff. I would have to get my hot dogs at intermission because I'd never want to miss their show!

You know, this entire thread is a joke. Even before Cadets had amps, annoying narration, etc., etc., they were still bashed most of the time. Happened when I marched, and I know, because I was there. Lesson learned, no matter what Cadets bring to the field, they are never going to please 50% of the fans 100% of the time.

Cadets would be popular. All the hits they take on here are the result of design and George, never ability, work ethic or passion. The kids are good.

Hmmm... interesting thought...

The kids who join Cadets vs any other corps do so knowing what the show is likely to consist of, and so they must relate to that type of content in one way or another. The kids who are marching with the Cadets probably feel a strong attachment to the message(s) being portrayed, so for them it's likely a perfect fit.

I'm not a fan of the narration or the content of the 2007 or 2008 shows, but it's not up to me to judge whether the kids marching with the Cadets are bearing the brunt of someone else's grand design, or if they actually own it themselves and are therefore happy to be bringing that message to the public.

You know, this entire thread is a joke. Even before Cadets had amps, annoying narration, etc., etc., they were still bashed most of the time. Happened when I marched, and I know, because I was there. Lesson learned, no matter what Cadets bring to the field, they are never going to please 50% of the fans 100% of the time.

I wouldn't know because I didn't joined DCP till last year but I'll take your word for it.

We all know the initial result - most likely a completely awesome drum corps show that would be in contention for the ring.

How about on DCP? Would they be more popular with DCP'ers or would they continue to get flack?

Not intended for flaming - lord knows they get enough of that already (From Myself as well)....

Ready? GO!

If cadets dropped all that stuff they would be just another drum corps. They've created a relatively new image for themself, from a design standpoint, and they seem pretty dedicated and committed to it now.

I would like to see them refine this new direction, but I definitely don't want to see them move backwards (creatively speaking).