Troopers

So...the Troopers are getting some love on another thread, and on page 7 a point was made that perhaps the Troopers should possibly break away from what they are traditionally known for to make changes that will make them more "competitive" with the judges (at least I think this was the point Terri was making).

So, as I thought about the Troopers, I pondered on what it is that I love about them. I think I know why, but was wondering about the rest of you die hards.

If the Troopers rolled out next year with a show similar to...let's say...a Blue Knights show, what would you think? What if they did away with their trademark uniforms?

What is it exactly that makes the Troopers the Troopers to YOU?

This is not meant to be some sappy, sentimental thread, but rather more of a survey.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Troopers to me should exude "class".

That is what I remember them as back in the "day".

Emmons, McIntire, Depaumalare were the epitome of class, and they led their corps onto the field with an air of dignity.

They should keep the uni,....and the sunburst in some fashion each year.

You know SCV when you see them, the Troop should be the same.

A sense of militariness(pardon the made up word) should prevail with them,....they ooze that look,....and when they do that this year, to me, they have a great look.

I love the Troopers,...they can play the competitive game, but still keep a sense of history,...if they lose that, they lose a lot.

I marched against both the Troop and SCV back in the day,....and respected both of them.

SCV has been my favorite corps for 30+ years. TRADITION !!!!

What do I expect from them?

A drum major full of Badassery.

Ok, that made me laugh. I love it!

The elements of the uniform that make the Troopers unique should always stay in some fashion. The traditions behind the scenes are also key. Honestly, I'm going to get killed for this next week at the alumni gathering: I'm ready to ditch the scarves and either mimic it with something integrated into the jacket or update it with some massively impressive piping/stitching in the shoulders and chest. (I know, I love the scarves too but... I'll duck and run now.)

I would like to see more musical chances taken. (we're getting there, IMO) I'm ready to ditch cutesie "hokey-ness" for a long while. I would rather have tons of "badassery" even in the ballad. "Sit up and take notice of this, even when we're playing soft" kind of power. (that word is a keeper, btw.)

I'd like to see the guard retain some of its own historical badassery but in a much more updated way. (again, definitely on the road in this regard) Truth be told, I'd like to see the Troopers guard take the lead in a "stop dancing and start spinning again" revival. Not sure if that happens.

So, I guess what I expect of the Troopers is to retain certain traditions but break out of other molds and prove again that a corps from the unlikely landscape of Casper, Wyoming can innovate and compete with the very best. (but they better do it without the dreaded N word. Please!)

So...the Troopers are getting some love on another thread, and on page 7 a point was made that perhaps the Troopers should possibly break away from what they are traditionally known for to make changes that will make them more "competitive" with the judges (at least I think this was the point Terri was making).

So, as I thought about the Troopers, I pondered on what it is that I love about them. I think I know why, but was wondering about the rest of you die hards.

If the Troopers rolled out next year with a show similar to...let's say...a Blue Knights show, what would you think? What if they did away with their trademark uniforms?

What is it exactly that makes the Troopers the Troopers to YOU?

This is not meant to be some sappy, sentimental thread, but rather more of a survey.

I very much agree with Terri, and am glad to now not be the first alum to respond. I'm also glad I won't be at the alum gathering next week, so I don't have to avoid anyone until the San Antonio show, lol. I don't know how to do that cool multi-quote thing though, so I'm just gonna go off the original post.

Let me start off with how much I love the direction the corps is taking- the brass sounds AMAZING thanks to a stable and wonderful staff. The drumline is crisp and clean and has a great recruiting base in Texas, and the guard, though very small this year, packs a lot of power- their uniforms are innovative, and there's a good amount of weapons work.

Please, no BK-like shows. They put me to sleep.

I like the uniforms and the traditions, but at the same time, I feel like trying to live up to "America's Corps" has become a one-way road for the corps, only due to the current interpretation. Other corps have made things hard on themselves by doing only jazz shows, for instance. Well- the gold rush is over, and no one is too gung-ho about "I've been workin' on the Railroad" unless you went to the University of Texas. To me, it seems as though the corps feels like it still has to live up to this Copland-esque idea. I feel like they've burnt out the "Americana" literature.

I would love to see the uniforms continue to become updated at some point- and I don't want them to lose the cowboy hats... not wearing a shako is one of the best feelings ever There are many corps that have successfully updated their looks without losing their signature or immediate recognition, and with the right designer, the corps could achieve that. However, I really want the Troopers to explore other ways to be "America's Corps." Branch out into more modern American composers- last year was a great example of that. The ballad, Ever Braver Ever Stronger, was about the Sept. 11 attacks- if that's not American, I don't know what is. I would also like to see the whole "let's play games during the 2nd movement!" idea pass on, really. One season was ok, I guess. Two in a row- not so much.

I understand that the show this year was put together to show all of the great things the corps has done over the last 50 years, so this post isn't aimed completely at the 08 show- what would a 50th anniversary show be without Ghostriders?!

There's plenty of ways to keep the traditions alive, while moving forward and creating new ones along the way. I only see the Troopers moving up from here!

I want a whole corps of Badassery.

Geez, Matt. You go and sum up this thread in 7 words. Cut it out! :smile:

Badassery is a very good word.

I expect that they demand respect - in their heyday they performed with a confidence that there was nobody who could beat them. I expect virtuosity. I expect the sunburst. I expect Americana and know that it can mean countless different things. And, if narration ever does enter the picture, I expect a very good Walter Brennan impression. :thumbup: